Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 heritage classic, where's the reviews fellas?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017 | 10:12 PM
lexpert
Intermediate
Default 500 miles in

I have the 114 Heritage, they didn't have the 107. 500 miles on it so far with some mountain twists too...

Best Motor, Best Chassis, Most Fun zipping through traffic I have ever had. Just ask "Thingfish" I think he has my exact bike. He knows the "Feeling".

Im all IN I've had a LOT of bikes 88, 103HO, M8 but this softail M8 114 is the best yet because the the lighter frame and top handling, no matter what anyone says, even "icky". LOL

Thats my review, have a nice life...

Last edited by lexpert; 09-15-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2017 | 07:57 AM
musicnbikes
Road Master

Originally Posted by - Elliott
Is it considered a soft tail? Man, I thought it would be a touring bike.
Seriously? Troll much? Seems to be an influx of trolls on here pushing the new 18's. And do me e en know what a softail is, even though they bought one. This forum is becoming terribly suspect.

Here's your tree fiddy, shill.

Last edited by musicnbikes; 09-16-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-16-2017 | 08:00 AM
musicnbikes
Road Master

Originally Posted by - Elliott
Looks like a sweet bike. I ended up with the 18 fat bob but regret not trying the heritage before pulling the trigger. Any input especially from someone that rode them both would be great. How nimble is it...
Troll alert.

Old 09-16-2017 | 08:04 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Here's my review: its ugly and they ruined it. The bags look ridiculous.

I'll add somehow you get even less for your money now. No sissy bar, no heel to shifter..

Old 09-16-2017 | 08:15 AM
- Elliott
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by musicnbikes
Troll alert.
I mean, I'm not going to say your an idiot, since you pretty much did that yourself... No nevermind, I'm going to say it. You're an idiot.

The following 2 users liked this post by - Elliott:
badcooky (09-16-2017), Rakthi (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017 | 08:17 AM
- Elliott
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seanl
I just saw one last weekend. It was $25K. Do they all have M8 114s?

Dude, your road king looks so beautiful. Very classic. I'd take that over the 2018 RK specials for sure.

Old 09-16-2017 | 09:42 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Like Lexpert said, this '18 Heritage 114 is great. Riding it daily and I'm a big fan. 1000 mile service next week. Great power and handling as well as plenty of character going down the road. Took me a minute to get over how smooth it was at idle and lower rpms, but by 2400 rpms it starts to feel more like my '92 FXR. Good vibes, much preferred over the Twin Cam B motor's chain driven counterbalancers. I traded a very well tuned '16 RK for it and I do not regret it. The RK was great for 10,000 miles, but the Heritage is lighter and more fun to ride overall...plus it looks great imo. The bags are smaller and less practical than the RK, but fine for me. Down the road they might turn into Iron Bags.

Overall the 114 runs MUCH cooler than the '16 RK, but not as cool as my 96" TC with Stage 1. I've read test drives where people have said they were "underwhelmed" by the 114 compared to their 88", 96", 103...etc... I can't agree with them. What I will say is this motor is extremely tight when new, a lot of gears in there that need to build their mesh, and mine has gotten noticeably quicker and happier spinning up as the miles break it in.

First Harley I've bought that truly needs nothing, although I'd like to hear slip ons...but honestly, this motor makes nice sounds at speed once your ears adjust. My other bikes all have full systems so I'm no stranger to great exhaust music. This bike is quiet, but has nice deep tone and is loud enough to hear over the wind noise. Not bad for stock imo.

These motors don't clatter, but they instead have some gear whine..especially noticeable at idle and low speeds. I think this is the sound that throws off people who feel it no longer reminds them of a Harley. The good news is I stop hearing it above 30mph really. I miss having an ignition switch, and an old toggle switch for the passing lamps...but there's much more to love than miss overall. Plenty of "Harley soul" and character under the improvements.

I'll never give up my Evo or '09 Fat Bob, but this bike will be in my garage with them for a long time to come.

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-16-2017 at 09:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017 | 11:10 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by musicnbikes
Troll alert.
Calling someone a troll cause they are interested in a new harley design, a design that you dont like? Good Lord man! Get over yourself and go for a ride or get drunk or laid or something.

Old 09-16-2017 | 11:27 AM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by seanl
I just saw one last weekend. It was $25K. Do they all have M8 114s?

Local dealer has the same bike for 21k. The 107 is standard, 114 is an optional upgrade. Other than the rust colored paint, I really like the new heritage. Even the lights look good. Their different, but I like em. The main light has a halo affect that looks pretty cool.

Just my

Old 09-16-2017 | 12:05 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Like Lexpert said, this '18 Heritage 114 is great. Riding it daily and I'm a big fan. 1000 mile service next week. Great power and handling as well as plenty of character going down the road. Took me a minute to get over how smooth it was at idle and lower rpms, but by 2400 rpms it starts to feel more like my '92 FXR. Good vibes, much preferred over the Twin Cam B motor's chain driven counterbalancers. I traded a very well tuned '16 RK for it and I do not regret it. The RK was great for 10,000 miles, but the Heritage is lighter and more fun to ride overall...plus it looks great imo. The bags are smaller and less practical than the RK, but fine for me. Down the road they might turn into Iron Bags.

Overall the 114 runs MUCH cooler than the '16 RK, but not as cool as my 96" TC with Stage 1. I've read test drives where people have said they were "underwhelmed" by the 114 compared to their 88", 96", 103...etc... I can't agree with them. What I will say is this motor is extremely tight when new, a lot of gears in there that need to build their mesh, and mine has gotten noticeably quicker and happier spinning up as the miles break it in.

First Harley I've bought that truly needs nothing, although I'd like to hear slip ons...but honestly, this motor makes nice sounds at speed once your ears adjust. My other bikes all have full systems so I'm no stranger to great exhaust music. This bike is quiet, but has nice deep tone and is loud enough to hear over the wind noise. Not bad for stock imo.

These motors don't clatter, but they instead have some gear whine..especially noticeable at idle and low speeds. I think this is the sound that throws off people who feel it no longer reminds them of a Harley. The good news is I stop hearing it above 30mph really. I miss having an ignition switch, and an old toggle switch for the passing lamps...but there's much more to love than miss overall. Plenty of "Harley soul" and character under the improvements.

I'll never give up my Evo or '09 Fat Bob, but this bike will be in my garage with them for a long time to come.
Do you think the new Heritage could be used for touring? Especially if storage was addressed by adding a quick disconnect rack and backrest along with a large touring bag. I'm thinking that the Heritage may actually have a ride comfort advantage over the RK? or am I kidding myself?

Guess I'm weird, I really like the looks of the new Heritage. Don't think you have to dislike one generation of softail to like another.i like them both for what they are.

Quick Reply: 2018 heritage classic, where's the reviews fellas?!