Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious butthurt

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017 | 04:35 PM
Gee
Tourer

I stand corrected. I always thought the softail was the lower hidden shock mounts for Harley. Per Wiki there are a lot of bikes out there considered to be softails. Are there motorcross softails amoung us?

"The term softail refers to motorcycles and bicycles that feature a hidden rear suspension system with springs or shock absorbers to absorb bumps. Softail motorcycles give the appearance of having a hard-tail or rigid frame, normally with the shock absorbers or springs under the motorcycle and out of view.
The word "softail" is a registered trademark of Harley-Davidson motorcycles,[1] coined with the release of the FXST Softail in 1984. Since then, the word has expanded to include other motorcycles with hidden rear suspensions as well as bicycles incorporating a rear suspension."

Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 09-30-2017 | 08:57 PM
badcooky
|
Banned

I didn't know the wiki deal either and yea it's wiki right doesn't make it so every time hey , I was just commenting that it's still called a "Softail" by the company therefore it is .

Old 10-01-2017 | 12:03 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
When the '18s came out I was sick to my stomach and pissed off. I felt gut punched and let down by something I'd relied on most of my life for a big source of enjoyment and sanity other than my family. I was prepared to unhappily accept that Harley had no future for me except on old bikes, which would continue to diminish, and one day probably be legislated off the roads...heck these new ones will too eventually I imagine.

The only thing that saved me was finding out that I liked riding them and that a lot of what makes them a Harley is still intact, and in some ways enhanced. It's never been all about looks even though that's what people who hate them think.

When I read his posts I feel that could've been me. I'm just glad I'm enjoying what I ride now and hopefully we're all getting to do the same.
That sounds like something I could have written back in 2000, when the Twin-cam “B” motor Softail appeared. To this day I’ve never warmed to the Twin Cam Softails. I was all set to feel the same way about the new M8 Softails. Then I rode one and found that I loved the ride. Maybe Uncle G. and Harley have a future after all.

Old 10-01-2017 | 08:05 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
That sounds like something I could have written back in 2000, when the Twin-cam “B” motor Softail appeared. To this day I’ve never warmed to the Twin Cam Softails. I was all set to feel the same way about the new M8 Softails. Then I rode one and found that I loved the ride. Maybe Uncle G. and Harley have a future after all.
Yup. A lot of people say they are marketing to younger/newer riders, but I keep reading about us older guys being the ones buying and loving these M8s. They must have done something right!