Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious butthurt

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017 | 04:33 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BrkOut
Just wondering what the "good reason" is...I enjoy hearing others' opinions.

Why have you always favored dynas until now?

Congrats on the new purchase, BTW.
Purely because every softail I have ridden, I have not enjoyed the ride as much as my Dyna. Mainly because I scraped the floorboards on them at not very steep lean angles. I do like the twisties. Also the lack of twin front disks on most models always put me off severely as well.

Don't get me wrong - I have enjoyed the looks of several especially the Fat Boy, the Breakout and the Softail Slim S. So much so that I very nearly bought one of the Softail Slim S models in the army green paint when that came out, but I just didn't enjoy the ride on it compared to my Dyna (disclosure: Dyna had 13" Hagon Nitro shocks on the rear)

I also didn't like the idea of losing some horsepower with the balanced Twin Cam B engine - although I was over that hurdle with the 110 motor.

Then I never really liked the concept of the Softail suspension itself. It seems to be giving away suspension travel and capability purely for the sake of looking like a hardtail. Dynas we all more function over form, which being an ex-engineer is more consistent with my mindset!

So the main reason was really my perceived lack of the old Softail's handling on twisty roads - I just didn't want to be scraping all the time or give up suspension performance. I say perceived, as I have ridden some of the most twisty and technical roads in Europe and the Softails in our group have all made it just fine on the same roads (Stelvio Pass for example), but in those kind of conditions it was always the Dynas (and some of the Touring bikes as well) that could get round the corners quickest and would always tend to draw away from the Softails. That may also be due to rider abilities though....

But the new frame, suspension of motor of the new Softail family puts me firmly into the "Gotta have it" camp. It's a step change upwards to both the old Dyna and Softails....

The following users liked this post:
BrkOut (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017 | 09:32 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
Purely because every softail I have ridden, I have not enjoyed the ride as much as my Dyna. Mainly because I scraped the floorboards on them at not very steep lean angles. I do like the twisties. Also the lack of twin front disks on most models always put me off severely as well.

Don't get me wrong - I have enjoyed the looks of several especially the Fat Boy, the Breakout and the Softail Slim S. So much so that I very nearly bought one of the Softail Slim S models in the army green paint when that came out, but I just didn't enjoy the ride on it compared to my Dyna (disclosure: Dyna had 13" Hagon Nitro shocks on the rear)

I also didn't like the idea of losing some horsepower with the balanced Twin Cam B engine - although I was over that hurdle with the 110 motor.

Then I never really liked the concept of the Softail suspension itself. It seems to be giving away suspension travel and capability purely for the sake of looking like a hardtail. Dynas we all more function over form, which being an ex-engineer is more consistent with my mindset!

So the main reason was really my perceived lack of the old Softail's handling on twisty roads - I just didn't want to be scraping all the time or give up suspension performance. I say perceived, as I have ridden some of the most twisty and technical roads in Europe and the Softails in our group have all made it just fine on the same roads (Stelvio Pass for example), but in those kind of conditions it was always the Dynas (and some of the Touring bikes as well) that could get round the corners quickest and would always tend to draw away from the Softails. That may also be due to rider abilities though....

But the new frame, suspension of motor of the new Softail family puts me firmly into the "Gotta have it" camp. It's a step change upwards to both the old Dyna and Softails....
I felt pretty much the same way living around many great roads in California. With that in mind you should really check out the new Heritage which looks the closest to the Slim and Fat Boy (well the old Fat Boy) when you pull off the bags and shield and it has the tallest suspension which really adds to the lean angle. It still has a long wheel base and is 700lbs, but it does very well considering. If you can forego classic looks the Fat Bob is the most capable new model of course. Very exciting developments so far.

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-26-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-26-2017 | 12:58 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I felt pretty much the same way living around many great roads in California. With that in mind you should really check out the new Heritage which looks the closest to the Slim and Fat Boy (well the old Fat Boy) when you pull off the bags and shield and it has the tallest suspension which really adds to the lean angle. It still has a long wheel base and is 700lbs, but it does very well considering. If you can forego classic looks the Fat Bob is the most capable new model of course. Very exciting developments so far.
:-) I'm actually one of those strange folks who loves the look of the new Fat Bob. I ordered mine before I even saw one in the flesh, and liked it even more the first time I sat on one.

I also got a chance to look at the new Heritage as well - and quite liked it. I didn't like the blacked out screen as it makes it impossible to see the front wheel, but that's an easy swap that you could probably persuade the dealer to do pre delivery if you didn't like it.

I will change the pipes on the Fat Bob at some point for sure, but will most likely just do HD Stage 2 until the warranty expires or i am comfortable I won't need it.

Old 09-26-2017 | 02:57 PM
BrkOut
Advanced

Originally Posted by adm

Thanks for that in depth response. A lot of consideration has been put into your choice, I see.

Old 09-26-2017 | 04:44 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
:-) I'm actually one of those strange folks who loves the look of the new Fat Bob. I ordered mine before I even saw one in the flesh, and liked it even more the first time I sat on one.

I also got a chance to look at the new Heritage as well - and quite liked it. I didn't like the blacked out screen as it makes it impossible to see the front wheel, but that's an easy swap that you could probably persuade the dealer to do pre delivery if you didn't like it.

I will change the pipes on the Fat Bob at some point for sure, but will most likely just do HD Stage 2 until the warranty expires or i am comfortable I won't need it.
Ha well that's sorted!! Can't wait to read your review. I'd have had it on my list, but we're set for sporting performance in the garage. I'm glad to say I still have enough even on the Heritage. Enjoy the Bob!

Old 09-26-2017 | 07:48 PM
badcooky
|
Banned

The musicybikee assclown is butthurt enough to be back again bagging out the 18's hahaha , what a joke.

Old 09-27-2017 | 09:10 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

When the '18s came out I was sick to my stomach and pissed off. I felt gut punched and let down by something I'd relied on most of my life for a big source of enjoyment and sanity other than my family. I was prepared to unhappily accept that Harley had no future for me except on old bikes, which would continue to diminish, and one day probably be legislated off the roads...heck these new ones will too eventually I imagine.

The only thing that saved me was finding out that I liked riding them and that a lot of what makes them a Harley is still intact, and in some ways enhanced. It's never been all about looks even though that's what people who hate them think.

When I read his posts I feel that could've been me. I'm just glad I'm enjoying what I ride now and hopefully we're all getting to do the same.

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-27-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2017 | 12:44 PM
Gee
Tourer

"Serious Butthurt" Stupid of me to think this thread was about the LePera Bare Bones seat. Now that is some serious butt hurt.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gee:
BrkOut (09-28-2017), Thingfish (09-28-2017)
Old 09-28-2017 | 01:05 PM
Gee
Tourer

The Dyna was axed. The softail was axed. They are now mono shocks. It would have been a marketing nightmare and a really dumb thing to do if they chose a new name for the bike. Tradition, heritage, the legend, and John Wayne isn't even his real name.

Old 09-28-2017 | 08:42 PM
badcooky
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Gee
The Dyna was axed. The softail was axed. They are now mono shocks. It would have been a marketing nightmare and a really dumb thing to do if they chose a new name for the bike. Tradition, heritage, the legend, and John Wayne isn't even his real name.
It's still a softail only better in every way !

Quick Reply: Serious butthurt