Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local HD Hasn't Moved New Softails

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017 | 02:03 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

My local dealer can't keep them on the floor. They currently have 3 on the floor, got em on Friday all with sold stickers on Sunday.

Old 09-05-2017 | 07:34 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by UHDhog
God forbid the MOCO makes a Harley that is better than the previous bikes. If you want less performance, then stick with the old school bikes. If the previous designs had the top of the line performance that new generations crave, then I'm sure they wouldn't have changed anything.

One of the main reasons I got a Breakout is because it DIDN'T look like a classic Harley. At the time, my choice was between a Fat Boy and the Breakout. My wife even said, when she thinks of a Harley, she imagines a Deluxe or Heritage. The MOCO knows that newer generations don't want old school looks. I agree that classics hold their place in the world. But, even in my mid 30s, I wanted something that "popped" a bit more than a bike that looked like it's predecessor for the past decades.
I'm 50 and when the big kid in me saw the Breakout last year on the MOCO site, I was at a dealer the next day. I can appreciate the classic look, but it's not my style either. The new bikes are growing on me, still a bit butthurt over the swingarm and the 3.5 gal tank on the Breakout, But I'll get over it. I'm reading threads from the incurably butthurt how they will be buying rice and sauerkraut burners now that Harley has abandon them. They are posting some really ugly bikes, if that's what they think the new Harley's look like, or is a better option it's time to update the perscription on their bi focals.

Last edited by 02603SEC; 09-05-2017 at 08:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rakthi (09-06-2017)
Old 09-05-2017 | 08:34 PM
UHDhog
Tourer

If I waited til now to buy a bike, I would have bought the Fat boy.

Old 09-05-2017 | 09:03 PM
artsbest
Tourer

Fat Boy and Fat Bob are great looking bikes. They will sell very well. I'd bet on it.

Old 09-05-2017 | 09:28 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master

I was at Harley dealership today....second time this week. They had three softails....modern Heritage in primer red, fat boy, and fat bob, all 114" engines. The fatboy sold first day....the other two are still available.....they do not know when anymore are coming in. I do t know if it means anything, but the '17 deluxe I was looking at the other day, is gone.

Old 09-05-2017 | 10:36 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by UHDhog
If I waited til now to buy a bike, I would have bought the Fat boy.
I think so too, Don't like what they did with the Breakout. But I bet I could get in a lot of trouble with a 114 Fat Bob.

Old 09-06-2017 | 05:15 AM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 02603SEC
I think so too, Don't like what they did with the Breakout. But I bet I could get in a lot of trouble with a 114 Fat Bob.
i just cannot get past that instrument cluster... did someone strap a phone on the bars?

Old 09-06-2017 | 09:36 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior

Stopped by the main branch of our local dealer Thursday. They had a matte red Heritage and a Fat Boy sitting out side of the service department ready to prep and another Fat Boy in by the parts counter and a Fat Bob by the service desk. Went back in Saturday so the OL could see them, the red Heritage and one of the Fat Boys were gone, a salesman took us across the street to their storeroom to show us a black Heritage that was waiting on prep. He said there is plenty of interest in them and phone calls to sales department have almost doubled most asking about the new Softails. In person the bikes do look better than on the website and I'm starting to see some potential custom ideas.

Time will sort it all out. I remember in the early 90's when you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting some yuppie on a Heritage, I wanted nothing to do with Harleys, then one day I saw a stripped down Low Rider and thought "I would ride that". Fast forward to 2011 and I saw a Wide Glide in a showroom and thought it was cool I turned around and saw My Lo sitting there and my first words were "that's a Softail?" It doesn't have any of the studs, fringe concho's or any of the other crap I didn't like but associated with Softails. I came around and found one that fit me, others will too, you don't stay in business for a 115 years without some ups and downs.

Old 09-06-2017 | 11:32 AM
musicnbikes
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Stopped by the main branch of our local dealer Thursday. They had a matte red Heritage and a Fat Boy sitting out side of the service department ready to prep and another Fat Boy in by the parts counter and a Fat Bob by the service desk. Went back in Saturday so the OL could see them, the red Heritage and one of the Fat Boys were gone, a salesman took us across the street to their storeroom to show us a black Heritage that was waiting on prep. He said there is plenty of interest in them and phone calls to sales department have almost doubled most asking about the new Softails. In person the bikes do look better than on the website and I'm starting to see some potential custom ideas.

Time will sort it all out. I remember in the early 90's when you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting some yuppie on a Heritage, I wanted nothing to do with Harleys, then one day I saw a stripped down Low Rider and thought "I would ride that". Fast forward to 2011 and I saw a Wide Glide in a showroom and thought it was cool I turned around and saw My Lo sitting there and my first words were "that's a Softail?" It doesn't have any of the studs, fringe concho's or any of the other crap I didn't like but associated with Softails. I came around and found one that fit me, others will too, you don't stay in business for a 115 years without some ups and downs.
True, they almost went bankrupt when AMF owned them.

Old 09-06-2017 | 11:38 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

I hope they're selling like hot cakes. If I were in the market, I would trade up for sure.

Quick Reply: Local HD Hasn't Moved New Softails