Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage or Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017 | 06:01 PM
NC27
|
2nd Gear
Default 2018 Heritage or Fat Boy

Hi...1st time poster...the new 2018 Softails have me back wanting to ride after 25 years...bought 1st year Fat Boy in 1990 at age 37...now 62 and have it narrowed down to Heritage 114 or Fat Boy 114...test rode both a few days ago...looking for some insight from those with more riding experience...love the look of the Fat Boy, but a bit concerned about tire size and ability to ride...Heritage seems more practical for someone coming back to riding in their 60's...will do limited mileage, fair weather cruising...thanks in advance for your thoughts and insight.

Old 09-04-2017 | 06:04 PM
badcooky
Banned

Yea I'd say the heritage man or bag up the Fatty.

Old 09-04-2017 | 06:18 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

I say take a refresher motorcycle riding course and then decide. Regarding the 18 fat boy or the heritage I don't have any preference so enjoy which ever one you decide is best for you.

Old 09-04-2017 | 06:32 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

I was just at the dealer yesterday looking at these two bikes.

Disclosure -- I ride a 2015 Fat Boy which I really love. I am a healthy 63 and I do mostly day rides.

Have to say I really liked both of the 2018 Heritage and Fat Boy.

I might give the edge to the Heritage. I really like the new styling and the new bags.

You won't go wrong with either.

Old 09-04-2017 | 07:45 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

Go do a refresher riding class and get the Heritage, it will Handel better than the Fat Boy.

John

Old 09-04-2017 | 07:49 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

As an owner of an older Fb and really enjoy the FB all the years. 2018 The Heritage would be my pick.
Talk all they want about bear bones old school. A functioning set of bags are a good thing.
And the Heritage looks great.

Old 09-04-2017 | 08:08 PM
NC27
|
2nd Gear

All good input...thanks...will take 'em both for another spin and make a command decision.

Old 09-04-2017 | 08:22 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

The Heritage, which I chose, is a well balanced - do everything bike. Easy touring grocery getter...Pull the shield off and it's a beautiful stripped down cruiser too. 99% of the versatility and comfort of a Road King in a much lighter faster bike...hard to beat.

The Fat Boy feels pure badass. I could see it really getting your heart rate going. For me, 240 rear tires are a little more work to lean than I enjoy in our local canyons. It's one reason a Ducati Diavel only lived in our garage for a few years...that said it is a blast on Freeways, most blue highways with sweepers, and you'll feel very planted and predictable in the handling/touring department.

If you feel like you really don't have a preference it's hard not to pick the Heritage for the versatility and passenger accommodations...not to mention bags and shield. I also prefer the looks of the Heritage...

That said, if the Fat Boy really thrilled me, I'd chuck all that logic out the window and have a blast riding that thing. You're already 60+...do whatever excites you most.

Since you're taking another ride, ask the sales guy to take the shield off for a bit. Really changes the feeling of the Heritage.

Also..

The Heritage has taller suspension which you can lower later if you want.

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-04-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-04-2017 | 08:28 PM
cobalt07
Road Master

After your refresher class, you might want to wait till you can see the Lowrider. It's lighter at 633 lbs. plus it's a lot narrower than the Fatboy with more traditional handling. It also has much more traditional looks, more like a '70s Superglide. I would also view "The Ride Like a Pro" cd. It will remind you of indepth technical handling, especially slow speed.

Old 09-05-2017 | 12:10 AM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain

Had my first test ride today, first one was the Heritage SC, second was the Fat Boy, both 114, last one was the Road King Special, all back to back...before the ride, my the number one choice was the Fat Boy, second was the Road King Special, last the the Heritage SC...

To make a long story short, I came away doing a 180 reverse turn from my original choice...the new Heritage SC, with the new frame, coupled with the mono-shock in the rear and new front suspension married to the new Milwaukee 8 engine, is by far the best Softail vs the Fat Boy...Cornering on the Fat Boy requires some extra work to make it lean, perhaps over time, you can get used to its cornering manners, but the Heritage was like a crotch rocket...I also heard that the big fat 240 tire has "short legs" or it wears out faster, perhaps due to the fun of twisting the throttle really gets my adrenaline flowing...lol

The Road King Special was a sweet ride also, fast and numble, wish it had the 114 option from the factory and that would have been a game changer...

Perhaps the other Softail models are equally as good, I just did not had the opportunity to test, but for my riding requirements, coming from the touring, Ultra Limited, the Softail presents the best of both worlds...remove the detachable windshield and it is almost like a Fat Boy...The looks of the Fat boy is so stunning though if that is what you are looking for, but take both this bikes canyon curving, the Heritage will leave the Fat boy in the dust...lol

Amazing what a test ride can do...if you undecided what model to get, I recommend test riding and then decide...

The following 3 users liked this post by DC2009EGUC:
Cage-Free (06-01-2020), Thingfish (09-05-2017), xmen9c (09-07-2017)

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage or Fat Boy