Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a nail in the rear tire ....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:27 PM
BadKitty
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a nail in the rear tire ....

Can the tire be patched, nail is dead center of the tread, or a new tire has to be purchased?

Thanks,
BadKitty

Old 06-11-2007, 02:29 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Found a nail in the rear tire ....

Putting a tube in it is a safe way to go.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:33 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Most will say to get a new tire but I disagree. I have patched numerous motorcycle tires with a tire patch kit from the auto parts store and have NEVER had a problem with any of them. I am a PUB and that is fine with me. It is especially annoying when you put on new tires and get a nail soon there after. Especially if you go to the stealer where it costs around $300 for a new tire with install...

Old 06-11-2007, 04:26 PM
KY23
Tourer

I'd put a new tube in it no matter what...or atleast take it off and look at it and make sure it didn't damage the tube at all. Most places won't even repair a motorcycle tire.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:46 PM
FatboyRules
Cruiser

Tube ?, my fatty is tubeless and I had the same tire for 13,000 miles after I plugged it three times within 3 years. It finally developed a bump on the side wall, so I had to replace it.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:19 PM
harleymojoman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had one in my rear tire 2 weeks ago on a near new 07 Heritage Softail. It cost me $262 for oem tire, tube, labor. The problem is no shop will burden themselves with the liability of plugging a tire and you can't just change it yourself. They say you only have 2 tires and if one pops due to a plug you have no safety net. Personally? If it's a tube tire I'd be inclined to patch it from the inside and add a new tube if you could change it yourself.Ever seen a MC tire broken down on one of those machines? It sounds like a shotgun going off when it finally breaks loose from the rim.
Since this has happened I now carry a can of Fixaflat (who cares if it ruins the tire?) and the new mini CO2 cartridge inflator kits. I just need it to stay up long enought to ride to the Stealership for repair instead of waiting and paying for the tow truck! [:@] [:'(]

Old 06-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Fats4life
Cruiser

If is a radial tire plugand patch if ya can but patch for shure. I had to patch and/or plug tires on my old streetbikes. The speed on a Harley can't compare (like 165 in 4th gear)to them but weight is a different. I never had any problem from any. It is up to you. I just can't wait to buy a new back tire for my '07 Fatboy[sm=burnout.gif][sm=smiley1.gif]

Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Mayfair
Tourer

ORIGINAL: anubisss

It is especially annoying when you put on new tires and get a nail soon there after.
That JUST happened to me !! [:@]

I bought a new set of tires because they needed to be replaced. Not too long after, I got a nail. I was back and forth about what to do, but I decided to replace the tire. The effing thing only had about 2000 miles on it. About 500 miles later, ANOTHER nail in my NEW tire !!

[:@]

I said eff it and I plugged it with a regular ole tire plug. That was about 1000 miles ago and so far so good. It too was right in the tread.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:41 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace the tube and use your judgemnt on the tire..if the mileage warrants changing it then save youself the hassle of removing it again in a few hundred miles.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Dinger
Road Master

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

Putting a tube in it is a safe way to go.
Laced wheels, replace your tube.

Quick Reply: Found a nail in the rear tire ....