Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage Classic--The Chrome Be Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:42 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

how to get a 2018 Heritage Classic ...

buy a deluxe , throw a ton of money at it to get it looking exactly the way you want it to .

Old 08-24-2017, 05:02 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 377 Likes on 199 Posts

The word "Classic" no longer applies here. I got up at 0230 this morning because I couldn't sleep. Not because of the vomit taste in my mouth from the 2018 unveiling though. Grabbed a cup of coffee, headed downstairs to the garage, and started polishing my chrome with a new found love for it. Would love better suspension and a 107 or 114. And again technology and change passes me by. I'm not finished with my '14 yet so I will continue on my path and be glad for what I have. I'm considered old. I love chrome, leather, and studs. I yield to the future. I'll keep this2018 Heritage Classic--The Chrome Be Gone!-photo885.jpg

Old 08-24-2017, 05:32 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I can see chrome - less as something for a different bike, but on a Heritage or RK, no thanks.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:22 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

The 18 Heritage Classic is closer to " back in the day " than the previous generation. Harley's Classic FL's were not chromed out, they used a lotta black similar to the new 18.

I don't look at the black vs chrome as simply a style exercise. I look at it as a authentic practical build. Harley does a great job with paint, generally it's pretty durable. Its also lighter than chrome. When you chrome metal you make it heavier and actually weaker. Painted parts hold up better over time, especially in coastal regions.

Bottom line, it's not just a styling change, it's part of a update geared towards function. Building a lighter touring bike for those that don't want all the modern electronics of a ultra but still want a comfortable bike that handles and brakes well. A touring bike that is lighter and really performs well off the showroom floor.

If I were buying a new bike today it would be the 18 Heritage Classic with the 114 motor.

The following 2 users liked this post by scottt:
Rakthi (08-24-2017), TURQ (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:06 AM
jrporter
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it.....

Old 08-24-2017, 08:35 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 183 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
The 18 Heritage Classic is closer to " back in the day " than the previous generation. Harley's Classic FL's were not chromed out, they used a lotta black similar to the new 18.

I don't look at the black vs chrome as simply a style exercise. I look at it as a authentic practical build. Harley does a great job with paint, generally it's pretty durable. Its also lighter than chrome. When you chrome metal you make it heavier and actually weaker. Painted parts hold up better over time, especially in coastal regions.

Bottom line, it's not just a styling change, it's part of a update geared towards function. Building a lighter touring bike for those that don't want all the modern electronics of a ultra but still want a comfortable bike that handles and brakes well. A touring bike that is lighter and really performs well off the showroom floor.

If I were buying a new bike today it would be the 18 Heritage Classic with the 114 motor.
You are exactly right. Maybe most of these guys think the chromed out things they saw at a show were what the stock bikes looked like. See below for historical reality. Fringes and bedazled jewels don't appeal to anyone under 50. 40 year old guys want sexy and modern (think Road Glide Special). Trying to cater to an old, dying (literally) motorcycle population isn't going to pay the bills in the long run. They need the 25-45 year olds buying new bikes and getting hooked on HD. I like what they have done, and I think the new Heritage looks better than the stale, same old same old previous version.

The following users liked this post:
Rakthi (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 08:49 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlexus
You are exactly right. Maybe most of these guys think the chromed out things they saw at a show were what the stock bikes looked like. See below for historical reality. Fringes and bedazled jewels don't appeal to anyone under 50. 40 year old guys want sexy and modern (think Road Glide Special). Trying to cater to an old, dying (literally) motorcycle population isn't going to pay the bills in the long run. They need the 25-45 year olds buying new bikes and getting hooked on HD. I like what they have done, and I think the new Heritage looks better than the stale, same old same old previous version.

Thanks for the examples; could not agree more with you. Heck, I'm one of the old guys that have been supporting Harley since the 80's and I still love what Harley has done with the 18 Heritage Classic!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:52 AM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
Thanks for the examples; could not agree more with you. Heck, I'm one of the old guys that have been supporting Harley since the 80's and I still love what Harley has done with the 18 Heritage Classic!
I like those wheels. Will have to see if I can put them on my FB then start shopping eBay for take offs.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,358 Likes on 968 Posts

I love my Fatboy and I'm not sold on the new Fatboy until I test ride one this weekend. I have to say I will be in the minority but I do love the looks of the new heritage....I am going to give it a test ride also to see how it feels...The Anniversary with the 114 could be calling my name

Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 542 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by jrporter
I like it.....

Yuck!!!!

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage Classic--The Chrome Be Gone!