Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating spoke wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:46 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Powdercoating spoke wheels

I want to get my rings and hubs powdercoated in the near future andI am not sure what the best coarse of action is.

Option 1: Takethe wheels off my self, then take them toa shop to have the tirestaken off and thebearings taken out? Then my bike will be on the lift for an extended period of time and then there is the issue of getting the rear tire back onadjusting belt tension, getting brake calipers back on etc.(these are things I have no experience with)

Option 2: I could take my bike to the local HD dealer and they can disassemble, send the wheels to powdercoat, and reassemble, but I will be paying a premium for everything.

Option 3: By some aftermarket wheels already powdercoated and justtake the bike in and have the switch made. (probably the easiest, butmaybe notthe cheapest, I would prefer 80 spoke over the stock 40 but this is not a must)

Any other suggestions or opinions on what the best option would be.

Also, should I do just rims and hubs or spokes as well.

WARG

Old 06-11-2007, 01:56 PM
jchildress21
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Powdercoating spoke wheels

There is one thing you've left out of your plan. You're going to have just the rims and hubs coated right? They must be disassembled in order to do it. Who's going to unlace and relace, then true your wheels? If you've not got much experience in the basics of belt adjustments, etc., you definately don't want to try and lace a set of wheels. It's not as easy as some would think. You don't want the spokes powdercoated do you? You might be better off, buying a set of wheels already done, and selling the ones you currently have. Just a thought.
Joey

Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

No, I'm not planning on disassembling the wheels (spokes)myself, that is part of the problem. I was including that with having the bearings taken out, tires taken off, rotors taken off, etc.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:33 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your best option is to buy wheels allready powdercoated and put them on yourself. It's not hard to remove the wheels and you will have no downtime. It may take several weeks to get your wheels done, and like said above, you can sell the stock ones.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:46 PM
jchildress21
Cruiser

By the time you pay the labor alone to do the disassembly and reassembly, you could have bought the new wheels!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:55 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

That's what I was thinking as well. Now, anyone know a good place to buy powdercoated spoke wheels?

Old 06-11-2007, 03:23 PM
jchildress21
Cruiser

Lots of places to get them. Of course, check Hogpro, and also J&P Cycles. They have a really nice set that is available in either red or black powdercoat.
Joey

Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
T_Rob666
Banned

ORIGINAL: WARG

I want to get my rings and hubs powdercoated in the near future andI am not sure what the best coarse of action is.

Option 1: Takethe wheels off my self, then take them toa shop to have the tirestaken off and thebearings taken out? Then my bike will be on the lift for an extended period of time and then there is the issue of getting the rear tire back onadjusting belt tension, getting brake calipers back on etc.(these are things I have no experience with)

Option 2: I could take my bike to the local HD dealer and they can disassemble, send the wheels to powdercoat, and reassemble, but I will be paying a premium for everything.

Option 3: By some aftermarket wheels already powdercoated and justtake the bike in and have the switch made. (probably the easiest, butmaybe notthe cheapest, I would prefer 80 spoke over the stock 40 but this is not a must)

Any other suggestions or opinions on what the best option would be.

Also, should I do just rims and hubs or spokes as well.

WARG
I would do option 3...that way, if you want, you can put your stock rims on eBay and try to get some of your money back.

T

Old 06-11-2007, 03:40 PM
boardnxtx
Cruiser

My local shop only charged me 2.5hrs, 3 at the most,to do all the wheel work, plus the cost of powdercoating. Each one of the Milwaukee Twins wheels is at least $550. I know for sure I paid under $400 total to have my wheels and hubs PC'd and all the work done. I would definitely recommend you calling around to a few of your shops and get estimates before making the decision. A buddy is also having his done and he found a powdercoater that would do all the work for him. I'm sure they have a seperate shop that true's the wheels, but he had a bunch of parts and it cost less than $500 total...

Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

I called a local shop, and the guy said he thought the cheapest option would be to have my wheels taken apart and powdercoated. He said he would get me a price for the whole process, if I come in to the store. I will go in when I have time to see what I am looking at. I am no where near spending $500/each for wheels and then the labor to switch them out on my bike.