Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flstc ignition fuse blows

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017 | 01:37 PM
dougunionlake
|
Stage IV
Default flstc ignition fuse blows

I have a 2006 Heritage Classic that periodically blows the ignition fuse while riding appears to be a dead short but cannot find any stripped wires after I move some wires around and put in a new fuse sometimes it blows that or the bike starts it appears to be a problem when I have weight on the bike such as luggage or passenger

Old 08-09-2017 | 02:02 PM
j_bee
Tourer

I believe your ignition control module sits on a plastic tray mounted to the rear fender under the seat.
You need to carefully inspect the wires coming from the module and try to follow the path of the wiring as it goes around the edge of the battery. The problem might be under any outer protective sleeving and not immediately obvious. Look for the wiring going through sharp bends or that appears squashed. Don't forget to inspect the underside of the wiring where it's more difficult to see what's going on.
Try to wiggle the wiring in a controlled logical manner to pinpoint what area is causing the fuse to blow.
The fact that sittiing on the seat tends to cause the problem points to the wiring being compressed somewhere. That's not 100% gauranteed but a good place to be looking with what you've mentioned is happening.
Use hand pressure to replicate the same as sitting on the seat.
Maybe look at the underside of the seat also to see if there are any tell tale wear marks to indicate where in has been resting on the wiring.
Also in front of the battery where there are two small screws locating some earth wires, you'll see a metal bracket/ tab held down by those same screws which helps route wiring along the frame under the tank.
Check that those tabs haven't caught any of the wires in that location.

good luck.

Old 08-09-2017 | 06:08 PM
dougunionlake
|
Stage IV

J Bee, I want to thank you very much for your response I have done some of that but I will check the wiring that is in case to see if there's any sharp bends you are a big help and I will let you know whatever problem I find

Old 08-09-2017 | 06:50 PM
EricRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Definitely sounds like a short. Ohm meter it to ground and start wiggling wires. Might get lucky and find where to start looking. Good luck. (I hate electrical problems).

Last edited by EricRay; 08-09-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2017 | 03:14 PM
dougunionlake
|
Stage IV

Thank you Eric I appreciate the thoughts I was hoping that I would run into somebody that has a Softail that has had a similar problem I know I'm grabbing at straws and I do very much appreciate your help in your response it's just that electrical is a nightmare

Old 08-11-2017 | 08:52 AM
sbarron
Road Master

Electrical can be a pain no doubt, but if you are systematic and thorough, you'll find the problem. If you go at it in a random or unorganized way, you're counting more on luck than anything... This is one of those times where slow and steady wins the race.

The good thing, (I think) is it doesn't sound like its a module of any type, as mentioned above, the weight on the seat exacerbates the issue.

The following users liked this post:
dougunionlake (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017 | 12:46 PM
chrisj49
Tourer

Highly recommend the electrical service manual. That will show you all of the circuits that flow through that fuse and help you look in the right direction.

The following users liked this post:
dougunionlake (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017 | 03:45 PM
dougunionlake
|
Stage IV

Chris & SBarron, I want to thank both of you for your help any input is good input I was just hoping that I would find somebody with a soft tail that might have had the same issue in the past I have to tell you I took the rest of the fuse box apart and was shocked to find a protective coating just sitting in the bottom no wires in it so I know when they added my heated grips the person didn't do that good of a job