Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with bars.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:13 AM
dukmn80
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with bars.

Hey guys. I'm going to change out the bars on my '02 Fatboy this weekend. I'm taking the stock bars off and putting a set of (i'm not sure of the name" Whitebunch ? 7" rise bars. I think I need a longer brake cable, but I don't know what else or how much longer. Please advise me what I need as I will be doing the swap on Sunday at a friend's house, and won't be able to get parts then.
Thanks

Old 10-12-2005, 03:02 PM
tbroenick97
Tourer
Default RE: Help with bars.

im putting on 13" mini apes on my fatboy and it takes 6" longer than stock. if you look in the harley catalog under multi fit it gives you dimensions for lengths for all cables. ive never put 7" on but a close guess would be +3" but something i would do is ask a local custom shop or if you have to the HD shop and theyll know immediately

Old 10-12-2005, 11:18 PM
dukmn80
Intermediate

Well, I talked to a local shop today. The owner told me that with slightly rebending the brake line it should work. I did a little mock up just holding the bars in the general area they will be in and compared it to the stock bars. They are not really much different. We are just going to go ahead and try it and see what happens. Wish me luck.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:07 PM
ScooterGuitar
Tourer

Probably close! Can oyu measure with a cloth tape, that's how I added it up for my mini apes.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Your gonna need allot of time and patience. These bikes weren't meant to be worked on after assembly[:@] If your running internal wiring you'll most likely have to remove your turn signal and ignition wires from the cannon plugs. That will entail removing the tank. I have a friend with 7" street slammers and no wiring or brake cable extensions were needed for his fatboy. Good luck and try not to scratch

Old 10-14-2005, 10:38 AM
dukmn80
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm having a couple friends help with the swap. One has been a harley guy for 30 years. They have done several bar swaps. So we are going to take most of the day sunday to do mine and another guy's road king.

Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:52 PM
Fatbernie
Road Captain

We will be waiting to hear the end result. Keep us posted and pics are definitely required when done.
BA

Old 10-16-2005, 11:17 PM
dukmn80
Intermediate

Well, I got the bars on today. We decided to not run the wires through the bars due to time restraints. This turned out to be a mistake. I left my friend's house and only a 1/4 mile from his house I noticed that my turn signals did not work. So I turned around and went back. We didn't have time to work on it, so I just headed home. I found out the following was not working, turn signals, brake light, spedo light, spedo, and my horn. On top of that my bike did not want to idle either. When I would stop, it would die unless I reved the engine. I decided to stop at my parents house since they live in the country as I didn't want to ride in town with those problems. My dad and I took the control loose and found that one of the wires in the right side was pinched in two. We are going to take it all back apart and run the wires through the bars like we should have from the start. As for the bike not idling, I don't know what that was about, after I shut it off and turned it back on, it worked fine. Going to work on it Tuesday eve. Wish me luck.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:57 PM
dukmn80
Intermediate

Ok. Last night my dad and I repaired the wire that was cut and put the controls back on more carefully. I took the bike back to my friend's tonight and we started on it. Unfortunately the bike was to hot to work on tonight as we have to apparently drain the fuel and take the tank off in order to unhook the wire harnesses. We got everything removed/loosened up so it'll be easier to start on. We also fixed a very shautty wiring job from when the previous owner installed the highway lights. Hopefully we'll have it all fixed and back together by friday. I'll try to get some pics put up this weekend if possible.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

I recently installed a set of one oiece pullback riser drag bars on my bike and I cut all the wires under the control housings to pull the wires thru. I soldered all the wires back together and used heat shrink. This let me perform the job without removing the tank but I'm new to HD and did not realize you could unplug the wires and remove the pins and pull them thru. If I would have known I would have removed the tank to do the job right.