Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what my dealer sez about stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007 | 11:27 AM
Drtbag
Tourer
Default RE: what my dealer sez about stage 1

I spoke with my Local Mechanic ( EX Harley Dealer Mechanic ).
He told me to
"ride the bike and if runs fine, and has no popping out of the ordinary, Let it go. The Harley dealers have been known to screw them up worse than leaving them."
I have the V&H Big Radius and the Hyper charger air cleaner on my 07. The bike runs awesome. No problems at all. not running hot, no popping and runs smooth as ever.

Old 06-11-2007 | 01:49 PM
LarryJ00
|
Intermediate

Hey all, ok..I am about to give up in my choises. I talked to V&H tech support and he says there are no fuel pack settings for either Phoenix or Rush slip-ons. Jees..I am seriously considering doing the rush's and forgetting anything else. Harley wants to sell me the V&H fuelpack and them install it. I wanted to do it myself but tech says no testing done with slip ons and therefore no settings available..dealer doesnt like doing the harley download..must be another fuel management system I can do myself.the search continues. allI friggin want it a little more noise but not to harm my bike in doing so. thanks for letting me ramble.
Larry in Tennessee

Old 06-11-2007 | 02:42 PM
flyboy9994
Tourer

Hey Larry

Which dealer are you using in Tennessee?? I live in south eastern Kentucky and spoke at length with both the Knoxville dealers and they were very supportive of my set-up. Just go get the Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner and the download from the dealer and then go home and install your choice of slip-ons. Dealer stage 1 download ismeant for the Screamin Eagle slip-ons but is also compatible with any aftermarket slip-ons. Pretty easy man.

Old 06-11-2007 | 05:34 PM
LarryJ00
|
Intermediate

Hey Randy, taking the easy way out *L*. I talked to Jamie at fuelmoto and going with his package. Rush slip-ons,K&N and powercommander 3. I live in Cookeville,betweeen Nashville and Knoxville. I want to keep it away from the dealer if possible. Thanks everyone.
Larry

Old 06-11-2007 | 06:16 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

ORIGINAL: LarryJ00

I talked to V&H tech support and he says there are no fuel pack settings for either Phoenix or Rush slip-ons. Jees..I am seriously considering doing the rush's and forgetting anything else. Harley wants to sell me the V&H fuelpack and them install it.
That's probably because those pipes don't need a remap on their own. I put Rush pipes on my Train the day I got it with no remap. It ran just fine until I got enough miles on it to be able to apply some power. Then I found that 0 to 70, it was about equal to my Triumph. So, on went the screaming eagle air inlet system and stage 1 download. Now, it's faster than the law allows.

Old 06-11-2007 | 06:28 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: zimman20

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Tweak it yourself, it is quite easy. There are countless threads telling what to tweak if you have popping or slight popping. All you need is a laptop and a usb cable.
The stock/OEM setup has a USB connection on it somewhere? If that's the case I must not have seen it the few times I've had the seat off. [sm=confused06.gif]
Z,
I think Anubisss was responding to Warg about tweaking his PCIII...there is no USB connector on the stock ECM..but the dealer can tell you if the stock ECM has been flashed.

Old 06-12-2007 | 12:53 AM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

The stage 1 DL on the ECM is calibrated for SE parts PERIOD! If you don't have SE A/C and SE pipes you should save your money on the DL and get a management system. If you have V & H pipes you can use the fuel pack (if they have settings for your setup) if not you should get either a SERT (if you have money to burn) or a PCIII. Finally, you can't beat a Dyno tune, it gets everything dialled in perfect. Dynojet make a module for the Dyno that will automatically set every cell on the PCIII spreadsheet based on sensors in various places on the bike. Just mu $0.02

Old 06-12-2007 | 01:06 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

Quick question about those with the SEII's. Are there any baffles that can be *ahem* left out if one were to do it yourself? Also if I did my own air cleaner stage I install and just let the dealer do the download, if something goes wrong with my bike am I covered under any warranty?

I am looking at the Vance and Hines Staggered Short shots and they are only 50 bucks more for the pipes AND they are a full kit, not slip ons. Id eventually like to get some full length, but I dont have $600 I can drop on new exaust. Im think $600 for the intake, exhaust and ECM update.

I am an ASE/Lexus certified technician, so installing these parts are no problem for me, but I dont have a Harley Scan tool so I wont be doingthe download. I just want to know that if I let them do the download that if any problems related to fuel delivery causes something to fail (like run lean, and put holes in my pistons etc) that it will be covered under warrenty. As a dealer technician myself, I know that accessory installations are generally easy and can pay well, but it would be a crime if I could do it myself but paid someone else to do it!

Also, could you provide part numbers for the all the Stage I stuff? Im seeing alot of parts in the big book, but cant really tell what parts would be considred the stage I package.