Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what my dealer sez about stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007 | 10:55 PM
fxst00
Tourer
Default RE: what my dealer sez about stage 1

Larry- I have around 700 in my engine. V&H big short shots, PC III and Arlen Ness big sucker. Saved the money and installed myself. Pretty simple just take your time.

Also down the road if you plan on doing any upgrades to the engine it helps if you have a PCIII or SERT or something. just need a laptop for the small type modifacations like pipes and such, but would recommend a dyno tune for ported head type of things.
IMHO

JEff

good luck with whatever you do

Old 06-09-2007 | 11:18 PM
GPDM
6th Gear

On my 07 Softail Custom I went with Khrome Werks slip ons, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, and Cobra
Fi2000 EFI Tuner. Bike runs and sounds great, no popping at all. I used their suggested setting on the Cobra. It runs significantly cooler than in stock form, both in oil temp and how my right leg feels. Been running like this for about 1500 miles in both hot weather and cool, no problems at all. I gave up a little bit in gas mileage, but it is well worth it to run cooler. As everybody has been saying, the stock 07's are running way too lean. These items are not difficult to install, just take your time.

Old 06-09-2007 | 11:59 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

I guess throw the slipons ..on and take ur bike before or after to the f'n dealer and tell them you want the warrenty recall download on your bike.. make it run a bit less lean.. then throw the slip-on.. on..why waste ur money on slip-ons.. just wait a bit and save and then put on Python full pipes.... and dyno it with a tuner..

Old 06-10-2007 | 04:40 AM
LarryJ00
|
Intermediate

Hey guys, thanks for the information! I love this board!
I know I should probably do the full pipes, Vertigoyour bike looks awesome, but I think I am going to stay simple and take the dealer recommended approach with one variation. Randy, I appreciate the recommendation on the Rush pipes. I think they look great on your bike so I am going to go with them. I think I'll do the V&H fuelpack just because there is some control of settings and who knows what down the road might bring. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and help.
Larry in Tennessee

Old 06-10-2007 | 11:42 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

I debated full pipes or slip-ons, and money wasn't a concern. I went with the SEII slip-ons, SE AC, and race download. Many of the friends I ride with have V&H, Cobra, or Python full exhausts. They all like the way my bike sounds and they can't beat my performance. The biggest problem I have with the aftermarket exhaust for Softails is they are all a trade off. I prefer the look of the stock exhuast. The two into one pipes are the best for performance, but none of them look GOOD on a Softail. Long shots are tooooo long, short shots are tooooo short. It comes down to perfromance or appearance. With the stock exhaust and slip-ons, you maintain the appearance, improve the performance, and save money.

Old 06-10-2007 | 12:03 PM
flyboy9994
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Tommy Meisel

I'm running the stage 1 air cleaner, stage 1 download and Rush 1.75 inch slip ons and the engine runs great and sounds great. I've been watching the plugs, no sign of any too lean running. I get the normal "rumble" on decel, occasionaly a light pop, but no backfire.
Yep... Same exact here. A great sounding rumble on decel with an occasional light "pop", no backfiring and plugs look perfect.

Also for Larry... My sig pic is not updated and still shows the stock mufflers. The Rush slip-ons I bought are the slash down type and look way better than stock in my opinion. I'll update my pic one of these days soon.

Good Luck and let us know which way you went.

Old 06-10-2007 | 01:36 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

deleted - fuelpak sold

Old 06-10-2007 | 08:08 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

Most aftermarket pipes are designed to not require a remap. A more open intake will, especially with aftermarket pipes. As for adding an aftermarket fuel management system, a lot depends on what you plan in the future. If you are going to be making more changes down the line, it would be a good idea. If you are planning on aftermarket pipes and a stage 1 intake, you will be money ahead to just get the stage 1 download. The tradeoff is that most aftermarket controllers cost about as much as 1 1/4 downloads. That means the second time you retune, the control module will turn a profit.

Old 06-11-2007 | 09:13 AM
zimman20
Tourer

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Tweak it yourself, it is quite easy. There are countless threads telling what to tweak if you have popping or slight popping. All you need is a laptop and a usb cable.
The stock/OEM setup has a USB connection on it somewhere? If that's the case I must not have seen it the few times I've had the seat off. [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 06-11-2007 | 10:04 AM
Brad40
Advanced

If Larry is not interested in the fuel pak I might be I need harley sound for a Harley and cooler running for sure . About to burn up now.
ORIGINAL: ToBeFrank

ORIGINAL: LarryJ00

Hey guys, thanks for the information! I love this board!
I know I should probably do the full pipes, Vertigo your bike looks awesome, but I think I am going to stay simple and take the dealer recommended approach with one variation. Randy, I appreciate the recommendation on the Rush pipes. I think they look great on your bike so I am going to go with them. I think I'll do the V&H fuelpack just because there is some control of settings and who knows what down the road might bring. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and help.
Larry in Tennessee
Hey Larry. If you're looking for a Fuelpak, I've got one in the garage I'm no longer using (I've got the Thundermax Autotune now). PM me if you're interested.

Quick Reply: what my dealer sez about stage 1