Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello, starting 06 softail standard engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:28 PM
CaliTrucker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, starting 06 softail standard engine upgrade

Am a new member but, been coming here to read information for sometime. A Lil background. I bought a 2006 softail standard fxsti a couple of years ago from a shop down in socal, with about 37,000 miles on it. It already had se exhaust, looked like stock bars, a black paint job (not original ) and supposedly a stage 1 ecm flash. Since I've owned it, I've put on 2n2 big radius exhaust (not Vance and hines, eBay brand lol) an open breather, and a pc5. I drive truck and so I've only put about 10,000 miles on it. A couple of weeks back I was cleaning and re oiling the intake filter and got a Lil to much oil on it. Ran the bike and it started acting funny. Redid the filter, and when the bike would warm up it would start to die and cough fuel out the intake, ran seafood through it, would run fine till you shut it off and start it back up would do it again. So I ran seafood again, changed the oil, the plugs and took it for a test ride, was running good. Took the wife on it, got about about 5 blocks it started in again, plus started feeling a grinding feeling, by time we got back home (5 blocks back) I got a battery code. So tested battery, good, tested stator-bad. Opened up primary to replace stator and rotor and found some small metal pieces stuck on the rotor magnet and the shaft about the the size of the tip of small gear teeth. Took the clutch out, and checked all bearings, nothing. Didn't see how they got there. Replaced stator, rotor and rectifier. Put back together same problem. So tore it down. Took heads, jugs, and piston heads out. A lot of carbon build up. Took cams out, primary cam drive tensioner worn. But still couldn't find anything broken. Anyone experience this problem with the idle dropping and coughing fuel out the intake? So I've decided to upgrade the engine while it's torn apart. These are my thoughts and feed back would greatly be appreciated. Chris Rivas 574 easy start cams, stock cam plate and oil pump, cylinders bored fromy 88ci to 98ci. New valves, some head work, and porformance clutch. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Hello, starting 06 softail standard engine upgrade-20150117_134322.jpg   Hello, starting 06 softail standard engine upgrade-20160903_100135.jpg   Hello, starting 06 softail standard engine upgrade-20150819_110715.jpg  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:19 PM
CaliTrucker
Novice

Originally Posted by CaliTrucker
Am a new member but, been coming here to read information for sometime. A Lil background. I bought a 2006 softail standard fxsti a couple of years ago from a shop down in socal, with about 37,000 miles on it. It already had se exhaust, looked like stock bars, a black paint job (not original ) and supposedly a stage 1 ecm flash. Since I've owned it, I've put on 2n2 big radius exhaust (not Vance and hines, eBay brand lol) an open breather, and a pc5. I drive truck and so I've only put about 10,000 miles on it. A couple of weeks back I was cleaning and re oiling the intake filter and got a Lil to much oil on it. Ran the bike and it started acting funny. Redid the filter, and when the bike would warm up it would start to die and cough fuel out the intake, ran seafood through it, would run fine till you shut it off and start it back up would do it again. So I ran seafood again, changed the oil, the plugs and took it for a test ride, was running good. Took the wife on it, got about about 5 blocks it started in again, plus started feeling a grinding feeling, by time we got back home (5 blocks back) I got a battery code. So tested battery, good, tested stator-bad. Opened up primary to replace stator and rotor and found some small metal pieces stuck on the rotor magnet and the shaft about the the size of the tip of small gear teeth. Took the clutch out, and checked all bearings, nothing. Didn't see how they got there. Replaced stator, rotor and rectifier. Put back together same problem. So tore it down. Took heads, jugs, and piston heads out. A lot of carbon build up. Took cams out, primary cam drive tensioner worn. But still couldn't find anything broken. Anyone experience this problem with the idle dropping and coughing fuel out the intake? So I've decided to upgrade the engine while it's torn apart. These are my thoughts and feed back would greatly be appreciated. Chris Rivas 574 easy start cams, stock cam plate and oil pump, cylinders bored fromy 88ci to 98ci. New valves, some head work, and porformance clutch. Thank you.

Went with S&S 585 easy start cams, SE cam plate upgrade, CP high performance pistons, half way done.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:40 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Check the fuel lines in the gas tank, they are prone to "pinholing" and will cause rough running, cutting out issues. Also, the fuel pump regulator for cracks.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:46 AM
CaliTrucker
Novice

Originally Posted by QC
Check the fuel lines in the gas tank, they are prone to "pinholing" and will cause rough running, cutting out issues. Also, the fuel pump regulator for cracks.
That was all changed out last year. Had the regulator blow out after replacing the fuel pump. I think I had a valve sticking when it got hot.

They were pretty nasty in there.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:15 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe clean the IAC since its around the area where you first had issues where you cleaned the AC and put too much oil. And wow...cant believe you did all that without finding the original issue? Dont get me wrong, a built up motor and lots of new stuff is great and all, but you might introduce other issues since you never fixed the first.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 PM
CaliTrucker
Novice

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
Maybe clean the IAC since its around the area where you first had issues where you cleaned the AC and put too much oil. And wow...cant believe you did all that without finding the original issue? Dont get me wrong, a built up motor and lots of new stuff is great and all, but you might introduce other issues since you never fixed the first.
don't get me, I agree with, however, by the time I'm done if there is still an issue then it'll have to be the computer, everything else is being replaced, and if it is ecm, related ill know as soon as it warms up as that's the only time the problem would occur.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

don't get me, I agree with, however, by the time I'm done if there is still an issue then it'll have to be the computer, everything else is being replaced, and if it is ecm, related ill know as soon as it warms up as that's the only time the problem would occur.
Hopefully you catch it with the changes. Looks like its gonna be a sweet build and ride when its done.

The following users liked this post:
CaliTrucker (08-07-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 AM
CaliTrucker
Novice

Well I've gotten it all back together. So I did the 98ci bore, CP Carrillo +6cc pistons, S&S 585 easy start cams, SE tapered adjustable push rods, SE cam plate upgrade, stayed with stock heads just some clean up of the valves, performance plugs gapped at .38, cometic. 030 gasket, all new top end cometic gaskets. Got a base map from dynojet that is close to what upgrades I have, did the first 50 mile break in oil change. Runs pretty good, very impressed. The only issue (I believe it may be due to the map timing ) is when taking off as the rpm gets to a certain spot it seems like it has a quick misfire. Any ideas out there? Thank you

Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Big Mule
Road Master
Received 785 Likes on 387 Posts

I'm glad you got it back together.

I would think it has something to do with your tune. Also do you have to do a new break in procedure?

Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Smokey Yunick ..

Well I've gotten it all back together. So I did the 98ci bore, CP Carrillo +6cc pistons, S&S 585 easy start cams, SE tapered adjustable push rods, SE cam plate upgrade, stayed with stock heads just some clean up of the valves, performance plugs gapped at .38, cometic. 030 gasket, all new top end cometic gaskets. Got a base map from dynojet that is close to what upgrades I have, did the first 50 mile break in oil change. Runs pretty good, very impressed. The only issue (I believe it may be due to the map timing ) is when taking off as the rpm gets to a certain spot it seems like it has a quick misfire. Any ideas out there? Thank you

"When we have a tuning problem 90% of the time we look at the carburetor and 90% of the time it turns out to be the ignition." How old
are your spark plug wires? Just a thought.

Last edited by lightweight bob; 09-12-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: misspell

Quick Reply: Hello, starting 06 softail standard engine upgrade