Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams for 98 bore kit on softail

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:42 PM
HardLuck71
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cams for 98 bore kit on softail

I'm doing a 98" big bore kit on my 03 Night Train and was gonna go with S&S 583CE cams & wanted to know if they will work good together and if anyone is by chance running these together? Pretty new to all the upgrades out for the TC88 and looking for low-mid cam and looks like the 583's are good at Idle-5000. I usually ride solo and not gonna lie I also ride aggressive. I'm also adding S&S Cam Chest Chain Drive Kit with Hydraulic Tensioners,TC3 Plate and Pump, Pushrods, Tappets and adding Valve Springs. Afterwards I'll be doing some Head work. I appreciate any feedback and have a fun & safe holidays! To all of our Vets out there, I thank you for your service!!

Old 07-04-2017, 02:49 PM
VTME13
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

All my opinion of course:

Cams are a matter of a lot of consternation. I don't know anything about S&S cams; I like Andrews cams. Depending on you final compression ratio, I'd suggest looking at the Andrews 26 or 37. The 26 will come on sooner, but the 37 will be more agressive.

I went with the 21's on my 95" with ported heads, which most people say are too small or a waste with ported heads. They pull like a freight train from just off idle all the way to red-line. If I went to 98", I'd have done the 26 to keep the CCR around 9.

I wouldn't waste the $ on the S&S parts for the tensioner/ oil pump upgrade. Factory '07+ parts are as good for the money. "Conversion" cams with the correct sized bearing journals will bridge the gap between the '03 inner and larger/ non-pressed '07+. Most cam makers do this now.

If you're going to pull the heads for spring/ port work, you don't need pushrods - use your stock rods. Replace the tappets if you want. They're "cheap" in the grand scheme and most folks replace them just cause. Depending on inspection and miles your stockers may still be good. I would and did stay with HD factory parts here, too.

Again, my $0.02, ymmv.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:07 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

I'm running the Andrews 37 cams in my 98" Hillside kit. Compression ratio needs to be close to 10-1 for them to work properly. I ran them in my stock 88" and liked the bump in performance and like them even more with the 98" kit. A side benefit is a nice lumpy idle.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

I have the same as QC with domed pistons and 98" set to 10:1 compression and the Andrews 37. I like it. I need to get a dyno tune done still but have a couple more engine mods to do before that. I had just the cam before the big bore and heightened compression. I had to get to high RPMs to get the cam benefit until that happened. Getting 110 tq/90 HP now and looking to get more tq after drive conversion.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:35 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
I have the same as QC with domed pistons and 98" set to 10:1 compression and the Andrews 37. I like it. I need to get a dyno tune done still but have a couple more engine mods to do before that. I had just the cam before the big bore and heightened compression. I had to get to high RPMs to get the cam benefit until that happened. Getting 110 tq/90 HP now and looking to get more tq after drive conversion.

Over 2300 RPMs- hold on!

Old 07-04-2017, 04:48 PM
JeffJA
Road Warrior

im running an S&S 97" big bore with the S&S 583 EZ-start cams, S&S pushrods and lifters, the thing pulls hard in every gear, def lots of low to mid range power, i have a PV with a fuel moto map that i also auto tuned with the PV wideband kit.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:29 AM
HardLuck71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VTME13
All my opinion of course:

Cams are a matter of a lot of consternation. I don't know anything about S&S cams; I like Andrews cams. Depending on you final compression ratio, I'd suggest looking at the Andrews 26 or 37. The 26 will come on sooner, but the 37 will be more agressive.

I went with the 21's on my 95" with ported heads, which most people say are too small or a waste with ported heads. They pull like a freight train from just off idle all the way to red-line. If I went to 98", I'd have done the 26 to keep the CCR around 9.

I wouldn't waste the $ on the S&S parts for the tensioner/ oil pump upgrade. Factory '07+ parts are as good for the money. "Conversion" cams with the correct sized bearing journals will bridge the gap between the '03 inner and larger/ non-pressed '07+. Most cam makers do this now.

If you're going to pull the heads for spring/ port work, you don't need pushrods - use your stock rods. Replace the tappets if you want. They're "cheap" in the grand scheme and most folks replace them just cause. Depending on inspection and miles your stockers may still be good. I would and did stay with HD factory parts here, too.

Again, my $0.02, ymmv.

I actually found the S&S cam chest kit for just about the same price as HD's kit amd would rather use S&S. I know since I'll be taking the heads off I could use stock pushrods, but the kit comes with new ones so I'll just replace them and aslo I'll be doing the heads afterwards so I'll still need them until I get the heads done. I'm now looking at the 98" bore kit from Fuel Moto and can get everything for $2,000. Would you by chance know if " Woods " cams & products are any good? I was looking at the TW6-6R cam. I appreciate your feedback.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:20 AM
VTME13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HardLuck71
I actually found the S&S cam chest kit for just about the same price as HD's kit amd would rather use S&S. I know since I'll be taking the heads off I could use stock pushrods, but the kit comes with new ones so I'll just replace them and aslo I'll be doing the heads afterwards so I'll still need them until I get the heads done. I'm now looking at the 98" bore kit from Fuel Moto and can get everything for $2,000. Would you by chance know if " Woods " cams & products are any good? I was looking at the TW6-6R cam. I appreciate your feedback.
That's cool on the S&S find.

Fuel Moto puts together some great combo's. I have a PC-V from Fuel Moto and some buddies have other stuff from them... all great experiences.

I've never used a Woods cam, but I've heard they make power. Fuel Moto's reputation is for ****-hot stuff. I can't imagine they'd risk a junk cam.

The following users liked this post:
HardLuck71 (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 AM
HardLuck71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VTME13
That's cool on the S&S find.

Fuel Moto puts together some great combo's. I have a PC-V from Fuel Moto and some buddies have other stuff from them... all great experiences.

I've never used a Woods cam, but I've heard they make power. Fuel Moto's reputation is for ****-hot stuff. I can't imagine they'd risk a junk cam.

Thanks bud, I'm gonna give them a call today and get some info. I've heard nothing but good things about Fuel Moto and their customer service. I purchased a Power Vision and got it at a GREAT price

Old 07-05-2017, 02:00 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,196 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffJA
im running an S&S 97" big bore with the S&S 583 EZ-start cams, S&S pushrods and lifters, the thing pulls hard in every gear, def lots of low to mid range power, i have a PV with a fuel moto map that i also auto tuned with the PV wideband kit.
Not to hijack the thread, but I have been waiting to hear from someone with the S&S 97 inch big bore kit. A couple of guys in the engine section recommended the 583 easy start cams and was wondering if it was worth spending the $$ for them. I have 510 Gs in mine and am putting 102 tq and 98 hp on the ground, but the rpm' are too high. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Cams for 98 bore kit on softail