Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Combination Spedo/Tach Softail Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:36 AM
T_Rob666
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Combination Spedo/Tach Softail Installation?

ORIGINAL: Clipper

Hey Tim, nice ride... and flip-flops
Well, thank you, sir....I like'em. LOL

Old 06-09-2007, 03:14 PM
HDvtwin
Novice

Okay guys, I just got a speedo/tach combo from ebay and instaleed it on my '06 Night Train and it does nothing. No lights, no odometer, nothing. The instructions say to just remove the old and put in the new one without any other type of wires so that's what I did. Anyone have any ideas other than the unit don't work?

Old 06-09-2007, 03:41 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you just droppped the hammer on me hammer I hadn't seen a tach like yours before so I bought the t/max one.... yours is the bee's bollocks!!! (that's a good thing in case you were wondering)... NICE !!

DeanO

Old 06-09-2007, 03:43 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey are you from Texas or Kentucky? I haven't been on here long but have noted the trend that people from those places seem to have old school morals and values.... that is to say ... they're polite which is an art not much practiced these days... anyway just an observation from downunder.

Regards,
DeanO

Old 06-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDvtwin

Okay guys, I just got a speedo/tach combo from ebay and instaleed it on my '06 Night Train and it does nothing. No lights, no odometer, nothing. The instructions say to just remove the old and put in the new one without any other type of wires so that's what I did. Anyone have any ideas other than the unit don't work?
Did you check the stupid things first....as in double checked wires etc to make sure they are all plugged in?

If you reinstall your old speedo does it still work?

Other than that the only thing I could say is the speedo is broke. That's my scientific analysis.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:19 PM
shingun
Intermediate

I don't have one, but from what I've read on this forum and others is the new speedo/tach is only plug and play for '07. Earlier models require hooking up the infamous "pink wire". Since yours is a '06 maybe that's the issue? Did you buy one for an '07? That's what the directions sound like.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: shingun

I don't have one, but from what I've read on this forum and others is the new speedo/tach is only plug and play for '07. Earlier models require hooking up the infamous "pink wire". Since yours is a '06 maybe that's the issue? Did you buy one for an '07? That's what the directions sound like.
I installed one on my '06 Deuce, no pink wire needed, it was plug and play.

but you need to verify that the model # of the speedo/ tach that you bought fits your year bike!
the on for '07 that changes colors ONLY works on '07 bikes!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 AM
HDvtwin
Novice

I got part # 74549-04. Fits '04-'06 FXD35, FXDWG, Softail and Road King models. Since I have an '06 Softail, I would assume that this is the one needed. From what I understand, the '07s have a completey different speedo plug so it wouldn't be possible to plug it in. Whenever I put the stock one back in, it works fine. It almost seems like there should be another wire somewhere in order to get power. My bikehas a carb butI don't know if that makes a difference or not. I know when I had my '00 Road King I installed one of these and I foundthe pink wire in the nacelle, plugged it into the speedo connector and all was good. But this time I got nothing.