Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I Overfill the Primary??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 AM
marxman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I Overfill the Primary??

Hi guys,

I just did an oil change on my 2016 CVO Breakout.

Drained and refilled the primary case... Bike WAS on the jiffy stand if that makes a difference.

I was a little unsure as to the level to fill the oil to and tried to get the recommended in the manual 34fl oz. Before I filled that amount I noticed that the oil was reaching the lip of the primary inspection cover opening. So I assume I didn't get all the oil out of the primary, maybe? Anyway for safe measure I took some of the oil out of the primary case before sealing it back up.

Rode the bike for a ride the next day, mainly highway riding, no problems. No problems shifting or finding neutral.
Rode the bike today to work, a lot of stop start traffic, when I got to work I noticed a drop of liquid on the base of the clutch master cylinder. It seems the clutch fluid is overflowing.

Question is, can this overflowing be caused by overfilling the primary oil? Should I try and lower the primary oil level?

thanks!!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:37 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

Usually, when refilling the primary, the bike should NOT be on the jiffy stand. The bike should be level. If the FSM calls for 34 oz(which I think is fairly standard), I don't see how you could have over filled it.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Originally Posted by marxman
Hi guys,

Rode the bike today to work, a lot of stop start traffic, when I got to work I noticed a drop of liquid on the base of the clutch master cylinder. It seems the clutch fluid is overflowing.

thanks!!
No, this can not be caused by overfill of primary.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 AM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Did you replace the gasket or reuse? I all ways replace all gaskets when changing fluids

Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 AM
marxman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by perki48
No, this can not be caused by overfill of primary.
Can you guys suggest any reason why this might be happening? It's never done this before, and the primary was the only thing i messed with this weekend

Old 06-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,966 Likes on 4,159 Posts

As long as you made sure it had drained out so it was just dripping, you are OK. I would do that on level ground and near the end, roll it up since just a few ounces will be laying over in the cover blocked from coming out by the reinforcement ridges.
You are fine, however. Few ounces either way is not going to hurt.

Think Harley just decided to make it simple by going to amount. It also adds just a tad bit more for a little extra for the compensator lubrication. If you set it upright and add the proper amount, to me, it is at least usually 1/2 way up on the spring. In the past, to the bottom of the spring was the full mark and is actually a pain to see. I made a little dip stick out a piece of white wire. I land it on the lip of the opening and spin it to verify plus I do like you did and pour in the proper amount. Mine only needs 26 oz but there has been a few pictures on here of the new ones with 34 oz call out up higher on the clutch.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,046 Likes on 5,812 Posts

WAY overthinking this....it is not the space shuttle.

Drain oil out..pour 1 quart in...don't even waste time looking where it comes to...drink a beer.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tom84FXST:
Bamjoop (06-21-2017), NCBANDIT (06-21-2017), wachuko (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 02:30 PM
HDnoob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, the master cylinder gaskets from harley suck. They always leak. Just try and tighten it down a little more (don't kill it), and see how that does.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
WAY overthinking this....it is not the space shuttle.

Drain oil out..pour 1 quart in...don't even waste time looking where it comes to...drink a beer.
Spot on!

Old 06-21-2017, 02:59 PM
marxman
6th Gear

So called the dealer they said bring it in, they put a new gasket, and are replacing the left mirror as it has some fluid marks on it.. thankfully all under warranty. As you guys have pointed out the gaskets and maybe the design kind of suck, the service guys admitted that.

Glad to know it wasnt something I did Just got me worried that something happened after I have been fiddling with it.

thanks all!!

Quick Reply: Did I Overfill the Primary??