Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whoa! new laws on bike sounds, dont sound good!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007 | 10:26 PM
tatersalad
|
Cruiser
Default Whoa! new laws on bike sounds, dont sound good!

what to do if they out law loud muffs everywhere like that have done recently in CO? My bike came with vance and hines and no oem. (it was a dealer demo). Will I get screwed? How much is a oem HD softail muffler?

Old 06-07-2007 | 10:34 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior
Default RE: Whoa! new laws on bike sounds, dont sound good!

ORIGINAL: tatersalad

what to do if they out law loud muffs everywhere like that have done recently in CO? My bike came with vance and hines and no oem. (it was a dealer demo). Will I get screwed? How much is a oem HD softail muffler?
shop ebay. some people sell'em cheap.

Old 06-07-2007 | 11:13 PM
hdsd05
Advanced

The way I understand, I'm no lawyer, if you have baffles your ok. Not sure though. I've been watching this all week and that's the way I see it. Again, I'm no lawyer. Also watch MN as thry're trying some stuff up there. My best advice, if you travel don't be dumb. Ride softly through towns and open it up on the highway. I've got V & H Longshots on my '05 Deluxe and I don't wake up the neighborhood when I leave for work in the mornings. Just be cool and you should be o.k.

Old 06-07-2007 | 11:46 PM
CANTDR55
Tourer

I had one incident recently here in NY. I was riding up to Marcus dairy in Conn. a few weeks ago. I was part of a 'safety" check point ( MORE LIKE BUST ***** AND MAKE MONEY FOR THE STATE check points) at the boarder of NY and CT. The cop started giving me the biz about loud pipes. I have V&S straight shots with the baffles in. I'm also a keeping it very quiet and respectful while going through the small towns on back roads etc.

Since the guy started out with attitude
( your basic high school bully with a badge and gun) I gave it right back in a nice condescending attitude.

He says bikes too loud.
I say really? Have a meter to check it?
He says I don't need one.
I tell him I beg to differ. And then tell him to I tell him look at the pipes. I point out were they say Vance and Hines. They DON'T say FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY as other pipes from them say therefore there are legal.
(I'm not sure if this has changed) but on past bikes they could bust you if you had pipes that said OFF ROAD ONLY on them. As long as they didn't have that stamped only them you were in compliance. This was told me by a non ball busting cop that rode.

He says not with the baffles removed.

I then tell him to take his mag light and look in the pipes. He does and Oh look- there's baffles in there.

Well he looks it over, check's my bike and all my paperwork and (sadly for him ) sends me on my way.

Like other posters have said, just be cool in town and most of the time they can't give you grief.

Rob

2005 nightrain
Carbed.
Stage I (Arlen Ness' K&N style oiled air filter)
Arlen Ness forward control extension kit.
V&H Straight shots
Radiant Side mount license plate light with LED cats-eye (discontinued)
Kuryakyn LED side rear marker/ turn lights
HD Diamond Back solo seat

Old 06-08-2007 | 12:01 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: hdsd05

Also watch MN as thry're trying some stuff up there.
Are you referring to the BS in Stillwater, or is there something else going on I'm not aware of yet?

Old 06-08-2007 | 12:29 PM
Mayfair
Tourer

I haven't heard anything about any loud pipe law ... what's it all about??

Old 06-09-2007 | 09:15 PM
thelawdoc
Tourer

Are the V&H long shotslegal in NY?

Old 06-09-2007 | 10:05 PM
CANTDR55
Tourer

The V&H web sight might have info on the pipes. My understanding of it all from my days of muscle cars and crotch rockets is that name brand exhausts (Vance and Hines) have to have DOT/street legal systems and have FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY stamped or printed on them if that's what they are for. A buddy's fat boy screamin eagle sounds about as loud as mine and his is all legit.

I had a Yamaha years ago that came with a V&H street pipe & stage 3 kit on it that was louder than what would have been stock but not enough to be illegal.
At that time, myself and 2 others where riding and got in one of those "safety check points as I mentioned in earlier post (that just happen to happen on Sundays when Marcus dairy CT would have a Super Sunday gathering) I went through fine but one of the other guys had a V& H pipe that said OFF ROAD on it and he got written up. His pipe was not really much louder than mine( and only really noticeable when he wound it up.

Like I mentioned in earlier post I never had a 'loud' problem till I got my Harley and basically talked my way through it. I'm sure the cop could have written me up if he wanted (though I don't know if he could have made it stick) but I would have had to go through the trouble proving him wrong with documentation from V&H to prove if they are not illegal.

The same thing when I had my Mustang. I put in a street legal system on that that was way louder than a stock system but still met DOT standards and was legal in all states including CA.

Rob

2005 nightrain
Carbed.
Stage I (Arlen Ness' K&N style oiled air filter)
Arlen Ness forward control extension kit.
V&H Straight shots
Radiant Side mount license plate light with LED cats-eye (discontinued)
Kuryakyn LED side rear marker/ turn lights
HD Diamond Back solo seat

Old 06-09-2007 | 10:50 PM
DavyDiesel
Cruiser

I just rode across the country with the RFTW group. I don't think I saw a stock harley pipe in the the group. Well maybe a few. In DC on Sunday we joined with Rolling Thunder. They basically shut down the streets for the parade. Estimate was 450,000 + bikes. No tickets that I know of. So, is it OK to ride with loud pipes in a huge group? Do the local cops just single out one or twosies? I run a V&H 2&1 propipe, baffle is in but no wrap and live in Colordo Springs. I don't think the LEO's are "looking" to give a ticket but will if you happen to annoy them...or the little old lady with a cell phone when you pass her pushing the rev limit. Save it for the back roads & 4 lanes.

Old 06-10-2007 | 12:27 AM
07 Fatboy
Intermediate

Attached is the link to the new Denver City Noise ordinance requiring EPA stamp on the exhaust or else first offense is $500ticket starting on July 1, with 2 weeks to prove to a judge that you have fixed the problem by compying with the law to get fine eliminated. I may see a loophole in the attached new ordinancxe thatallows usage of Table B but am not for sure.

This EPA stamp on the stock exhaust is prejudicial since it only applies to motorcycles and I hope it gets overturned ormodified, I know the AMA plans to try to work with the Denver City Coucil to try and get the ordinance modified.

http://www.denvergov.org/web/ccbills/Bill_2007_0242.pdf

Quick Reply: Whoa! new laws on bike sounds, dont sound good!