Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whoa! new laws on bike sounds, dont sound good!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007 | 11:44 PM
65sporty
Stage III
Default RE: Whoa! new laws on bike sounds, dont sound good!

I am also interested inMinnesota looking into this. All I know is Stillwater doesnt allow it. Anyone know of anywhere else in the state or what they are thinking. I live in the Rural area of the state so dont get hassled much.

Old 06-10-2007 | 11:57 PM
softail2005
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: tatersalad

what to do if they out law loud muffs everywhere like that have done recently in CO? My bike came with vance and hines and no oem. (it was a dealer demo). Will I get screwed? How much is a oem HD softail muffler?
I went into a motorcycle salvage store owned my Latus Motors in Portland, OR looking for a rear floorboard brace recently. In the back room area was two stacks of brand new origional equipment pipes complete that the dealer had removed from new bikes. People come into the dealership and want aftermarket pipes and just give the dealer their old pipes.

The salvage guy said that he couldn't give them away at a recent swap meet. They sell them for $25 or less. But if you go to the dealer and look for headpipes and mufflers you will pay a small fortune to get a set new.

If you ever need a set to pass DEQ in your area go check out your local salvage dealer before everyone else in the country is required to do the same thing.

Old 06-11-2007 | 12:06 AM
Nasty350LT1
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: thelawdoc

Are the V&H long shotslegal in NY?

I have had the V&H Long Shots on my bike for 8 years now,
and I live in New York. No Baffles. Never been stopped for a Noise Violation.
Or any other reason either.

We were cruisin' at 90 MPH up RTE 87 on Friday heading to Americade,
Troopers never gave us a second look.

Old 06-11-2007 | 12:15 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

I am getting conflicting reports on the Stillwater thing. Supposedly, the Chief of Police has said they are only going after the people revving their engines and racing through town. So if you have loud pipes, no problem, just don't be an idiot.

That said, someone I know and trust drives respectfully through downtown twice a day, to and from work. He has straight pipes and says he has no issues.

On the other hand, someone I recently met says he got a ticket going through downtown on an '07 Road Glide with stock pipes and did get a ticket. He claims he was slowly rolling through town in first gear, but I really don't know him, so I have to wonder if he wasn't driving like an a$$hole.

So we were talking about this at the local dealership yesterday and someone passing by chimed in saying that someone she knows got a ticket while idling at a stoplight.

Long story short, I used to roll through Stillwater all time. Just about anyone from the Twin Cities will tell you it's one of the best weekend destinations for bikers. But I am a little leary about going there now; my bike is LOUD and I don't want the $180 ticket. Yeah, you read it right, 1-8-0. [:@]

[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-11-2007 | 12:54 AM
07 Fatboy
Intermediate

If you think $180 is bad, the new Denver Colorado law effective July 1, 2007 requiring an EPA approved stamp on your pipes can result in a $500ticket and you then have 30 days to show a judge you have fixed the problem to get fine reduced, which isback to stock pipes I guess. Talk about discrimination against motorcycles, that would be the same as requiring stockmufflers on all the cars, how well do you think that would go over!!!

Old 06-11-2007 | 04:51 AM
aliandray
Cruiser

In the UK we are going through the same noise and emissions tightening. When I got my Sportster new in March 05 the dealer did the stage 1 and fitted the screamin eagles, which clearly stated "not for road use" . There is now no way the dealers are allowed to do it and my local dealer is clearing out all his V&H pipes. Dealers over here are not allowed to fit non road-legal pipes any more and not allowed to have them on their premises. This may also have been the case a year or 2 ago, but perhaps no-one bothered enforcing it - things have really changed. When I spoke to the dealer a few weeks ago about likelyexhaust options in 08 they were talking about road legaloptions with removable or tunable baffles. I think the after market will go through big changes in this direction in the next year or so. I don't want my 08 FXSTC too loud or illegal, but the stock pipes don't quite have the look I want.

Old 06-11-2007 | 06:14 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior

We've had bullsh*t laws like that here in Australia for ages. If there is a law that is against the people... AUSTRALIA WILL HAVE IT FIRST !! We get hammered by these piece of sh*t politicians. Democracy was great in theory... in reality it simply means that the rich sponsor their puppets with donations... we ONLY vote for the ones that we are told have a chance and then they do what the RICH want... (vote for Ron Paul btw).. lookup his internet poll results! www.ronpaul2008.com. Only honest white politician I have seen in 3 decades.

ANYWAY.... we have had NOISE pollution laws here for sometime. So much so that my 2007 FLSTF came with a thing called an "active exhaust valve" which was a motor driven butterfly valve in the exhaust of my fatboy that at certain RPM and in certain gears closes so the standard DUAL pipes act as a 2 into 1. I gained heaps of power as soon as I canned it when the Big Radius went on.

Nobody really takes much notice and they seem to not bother with Harleys (the police that is).. I think they just EXPECT them to be loud. Cars are a different matter. The Holden Commodore VN Group A (last of the Bathurst race production vehicles, only 300 made $85k each) I own has a 850hp blown motor with Paxton Novi 30lb blower on it and sounds like a Boeing 747. The EPA (environmental protection agency) SAW the car on a trailer without a bonnet (hood) and because it LOOKED like it might be LOUD or EXCEED EMISSIONS I got a letter in the mail saying I had an EPA DEFECT and if I didn't present it for inspection within 30 days they would cancel the vehicles registration (which costs $700 per vehicle here) without further notice.

I took it to get inspected and they DEMANDED it be put back to standard within 30 days and couldn't be driven until it was. I never did it and the registration was cancelled and it has been sitting in the garage for 5 years gathering dust. This is what you can expect with the new laws !

You have to ask yourself... if the government is serious about pollution not increasing, then why all the 3rd world immigrants still coming into our countries. Who votes for these ******?

DeanO

Old 06-11-2007 | 10:19 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 07 Fatboy

If you think $180 is bad, the new Denver Colorado law effective July 1, 2007 requiring an EPA approved stamp on your pipes can result in a $500ticket and you then have 30 days to show a judge you have fixed the problem
OK, you win!

Old 06-11-2007 | 05:32 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master

We don't have this problem YET, in Louisiana. Please don't make so much "noise" about it cause our A-Hole left wing congressmen might hear and think it's a good way to increase revenue to misallocate.