Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

freight train nacelle

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017 | 04:44 PM
scuba_steve
|
Novice
Default freight train nacelle

Hi, new here, but not to harley or other forums.

my question is about the freight train nacelle from harley, as well as some aftermarket nacelles. im wondering what they are made of nowadays, i know the original flh nacelles from the 60s/70s were aluminum, but the harley one and a few aftermarket options dont list a material, and i felt a factory road king nacelle and could not decide what i thought it was made of, aluminum or ???(non magnetic, but HEAVY). im going for a traditional chopper/bobber look on my 04 softail, and would much prefer an as cast aluminum or polished aluminum to chrome or powdercoat. I would appreciate any help

Old 06-12-2017 | 04:46 PM
Otter
Road Master

Its definitely not cast. Pretty sure it’s stamped steel of a similar guage to the stock fork tins.

Old 06-12-2017 | 04:51 PM
scuba_steve
|
Novice

The one I held was definitely a cast piece, just wasn't sure it was aluminum. POSITIVE it was cast. It was a Harley piece, a accessory for a road king, black nacelle from 97(on the shelf at my local dealer)

Old 06-12-2017 | 05:20 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by scuba_steve
The one I held was definitely a cast piece, just wasn't sure it was aluminum. POSITIVE it was cast. It was a Harley piece, a accessory for a road king, black nacelle from 97(on the shelf at my local dealer)
New one is definitely not aluminum. Aluminum was old school, times have changed.

Old 06-12-2017 | 05:26 PM
scuba_steve
|
Novice

Well I'm positive the one I held was not stamped anything. And the one on the 2017 road king was not magnetic, as well as the one in hand. So they are either aluminum pot metal, or some other cast, they look tin, but most I've seen and held are most definitely not. I'm highly doubtful for any sort of stainless steel also.

Old 06-12-2017 | 05:33 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Well I'm positive the one I held was not stamped anything. And the one on the 2017 road king was not magnetic, as well as the one in hand. So they are either aluminum pot metal, or some other cast, they look tin, but most I've seen and held are most definitely not. I'm highly doubtful for any sort of stainless steel also.
When someone mentions freight train nacelle they're usually looking to upgrade their existing scoot with one. I have no idea whats on the RK or what it's made of. I do know the one's I've seen ordered and added as an upgrade were not. Why dont you come back and lets us know what you found once you've researched it. I'm sure quite a few like to know.

Old 06-12-2017 | 05:57 PM
Otter
Road Master

I have installed the softail version, and it was steel, no doubt.

Old 06-13-2017 | 04:08 PM
scuba_steve
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
When someone mentions freight train nacelle they're usually looking to upgrade their existing scoot with one. I have no idea whats on the RK or what it's made of. I do know the one's I've seen ordered and added as an upgrade were not. Why dont you come back and lets us know what you found once you've researched it. I'm sure quite a few like to know.

Didnt mean to sound lik a know it all or anything, my bad. Just meant everyone ive dealt with(about 6-7 of them) has been cast of some sort. I was afraid the freight train nacelle would be a stamped piece. Im sure your right, so i may be on the hunt for another option, as im going for an old school look and would prefer aluminum to chrome. thanks for all the response's.

Old 06-14-2017 | 08:39 PM
Sparky357
Road Master

Hi, new here, but not to harley or other forums.

my question is about the freight train nacelle from harley, as well as some aftermarket nacelles. im wondering what they are made of nowadays, i know the original flh nacelles from the 60s/70s were aluminum, but the harley one and a few aftermarket options dont list a material, and i felt a factory road king nacelle and could not decide what i thought it was made of, aluminum or ???(non magnetic, but HEAVY). im going for a traditional chopper/bobber look on my 04 softail, and would much prefer an as cast aluminum or polished aluminum to chrome or powdercoat. I would appreciate any help
I just checked mine and would guess it's aluminum because it's not magnetic.