Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 flsts

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017 | 08:54 PM
suspenders
|
Stage I
Default 1999 flsts

I put a set of beach bars on my 1999 FLSTS. The problem is that when I take a sharp left like turning around in a tight spot my left grip can hit my hand if i'm shifting. I have 3" risers on the bike now. If I go with lower risers will that help or hurt the problem I'm having. Thank you for your help!

Old 06-09-2017 | 09:38 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by suspenders
I put a set of beach bars on my 1999 FLSTS. The problem is that when I take a sharp left like turning around in a tight spot my left grip can hit my hand if i'm shifting. I have 3" risers on the bike now. If I go with lower risers will that help or hurt the problem I'm having. Thank you for your help!
Welcome to the forum from Texas.

I have beach bars on my Heritage. I hope I understand your problem. When you say "a sharp left like turning around in a tight spot" do you mean like a U-turn on a street or turning around in a parking lot, for example?

If so, do you mean the left grip hits your leg? Also, if you are turning around in a tight spot, you're likely in 1st gear, maybe 2nd, working the friction zone with the rear brake. Why are you shifting?

In this case, lowering the risers would worsen the problem. You can always rotate the bar upward using the existing risers. Loosen the handlebar clamp(s), rotate the bars and retighten the clamps.

My bars are rotated down. If I am making a tight turn, left or right, I will swing my leg outward so the bars don't hit it.

Old 06-10-2017 | 12:45 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

As a long time member of the BBB (Big Beach Bar) club, I can say that depending on which bar you select, how you mount them, and how/where your seat places you on the frame will have an effect on the u-turn placement of your close hand.

I have very wide bars Burly Longhorn beach bars (38.5" wide and almost 48" lever tip to lever tip), but since I don't angle them downwards, and have a custom spring solo seat that moves me backward, my hand don't come anywhere near my knees. In tight, slow speed U-turns my hands can come close to my lap, but no where do they interfere with my legs' ability to operate the foot controls.

If you have a tank shifter, which some do on Heritage Springers, then you would probably have bar/shifter reach issues no matter what bars you have in a U-Turn.

What are the parts you are using (bars, seat, etc)? I think that taller risers may raise your bars, but 3" ones will do very little. Your stock HS risers are pretty close to that. Taller risers on a HS, in my opinion, don't look right. Lower risers may have some effect, but I suspect that lowering your bars will do little to positively affect if the bars hit your body in tight U-turns. Again, if you have a hand shifter, I doubt it.

Now, pullback, either more or less might have the biggest effect on where the bar ends wind up in your turns.

Can you please share more details?

Ride Safe!

Last edited by SprungDave; 06-10-2017 at 12:49 PM.