Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torx Tank Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017 | 08:34 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Heh, Otter, I posted a pic of me. When we do run into one another I will expect you to buy the first round and have a laugh.
EDIT: With that said, I do need to get a few things done. Catch y'all this evenin.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 05-30-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2017 | 08:58 AM
Otter
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
@ Otter, you seem to take pride in yourself for talkin noise. KB warriors are dime a dozen. You have something pertinent to say, go for it, other than that anything else is meaningless.
Go ahead with the forum clown routine, I need a laugh occasionally.
I’ve already posted the pertinent info, now I’m just busting your chops And thanks for your blessing, I was hangin' all my hope on receiving it! lol I’ll definitely buy you a beer. You can drink it while I teach you about fasteners.. LMAO

Last edited by Otter; 05-30-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-30-2017 | 09:19 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by golfblues
If you're talking about Torx Plus I think you got that wrong too unless you use regular Torx tools for Torx plus which you're not supposed to.

Torx Plus®
Elliptical groove design maximizes engagement depth between driver and fastener. Ensures optimum torque transmission, and virtually eliminates camout.
Mine don't strip out easily if I'm using the right size good quality Torx bit. I don't think Harley manufacturers their own Torx bolts.

Btw, where are we meeting for these beers

Last edited by golfblues; 05-30-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2017 | 11:39 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Otter
I’ve already posted the pertinent info, now I’m just busting your chops And thanks for your blessing, I was hangin' all my hope on receiving it! lol I’ll definitely buy you a beer. You can drink it while I teach you about fasteners.. LMAO
lmfao @ skewl me about fasteners > too funny
Posted that pic so you can put a face to the user name since I have to look at Otter and his oogly mug. Gonna delete it now.
Alright, time to mow the field.

The following users liked this post:
Otter (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017 | 11:57 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

Otter, isnt it amusing that those of us that do this for a living rarely strip O.E. fasteners, but the guys working on thier own **** in the garage strip them out left and right and ALWAYS blame the crappy fastsners?

The following users liked this post:
Otter (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017 | 12:38 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Otter, isnt it amusing that those of us that do this for a living rarely strip O.E. fasteners, but the guys working on thier own **** in the garage strip them out left and right and ALWAYS blame the crappy fastsners?
I learned my lesson early on when I stripped a strut torx bolt. I could not get that out for the life of me and it ended up stripping the head as I was using a small ratchet and a common Torx. I rode it over to the local gas station which had a repair center and asked the guy there if he could get it out. He took one look, walked inside came out with a quality Snap-on Torx and a large ratchet wrench and hammered the Torx head into the what was left of the torx bolt and proceeded to gently remove it in my amazement. Learned a lesson that day, the right tool for the right job and the right size and make sure it's seated all the way into the head

Old 05-30-2017 | 02:28 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Going back thru my posts I can see where I erred, doubtful anyone understand what I'm saying regardless, but: Where I said HD's design on the torx, I should have said, 'Hd's choice of grade on the torx screw'. There was a reason behind it, I was told years ago. Maybe someone blew smoke up me butt, who knows, but isn't better to have the torx screw head strip out before over torque causes the application the screw is fastening to strip out, which would need tapped to an oversized thread?
Hopefully that'll clarify what I was posting. Some will understand, some will still argue some silliness.

Old 05-30-2017 | 02:35 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hog-doc
...and you, I read a lot of your replies and you're usually dead on but sometimes I have to wonder where you got your copy/paste from.

Old 05-30-2017 | 02:39 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Going back thru my posts I can see where I erred, doubtful anyone understand what I'm saying regardless, but: Where I said HD's design on the torx, I should have said, 'Hd's choice of grade on the torx screw'. There was a reason behind it, I was told years ago. Maybe someone blew smoke up me butt, who knows, but isn't better to have the torx screw head strip out before over torque causes the application the screw is fastening to strip out, which would need tapped to an oversized thread?
Hopefully that'll clarify what I was posting. Some will understand, some will still argue some silliness.
The problem with that is they would never come out if you use blue or red Loctite on them because they require more torque to remove than to put in

Old 05-30-2017 | 02:44 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by golfblues
The problem with that is they would never come out if you use blue or red Loctite on them because they require more torque to remove than to put in
lmfao...the internet is full of novice owners working on their own scoots. My reply was for those guys. I don't need lessons in this. I grew up on oil platforms, shipyards, serviceman taking care of cargo vessels, supply boats, tugs, and pleasure boats. Holy moly, you guys are full of yourself. Retired here and I've forgotten more than most of you will ever know. Too funny, it was my turn to let you know who I am. Unreal, I have no idea why I even bother with this forum.

Quick Reply: Torx Tank Bolt