Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with FatBoy oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:38 PM
rideaholic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with FatBoy oil change.

I have been wrenching on bikes since I was 11 and this is my first Harley to wrench on. I plan on buying the service manual but just haven't had the chance yet. The owners manual is junk for any useful info on oil change and other things. I did a search and was unable to locate the general directions on an oil change for my Harley.

I see the drain for the oil tank and two drains on the bottom of the engine with one being higher than the other. I would assume that I warm the engine then shut down and remove the oil tank plug. Then remove and replace filter. I read that someone said I don't need to drain the sump. I again assume that is located in the bottom of the engine where the two plugs are located. That would be fine with me since I am not sure if there is a priming procedure after changing oil. Which brings me to my next question, do I need to do a priming procedure? Lastly, if you read this far, thank you, are there any other tips I should know? I really appreciate any and all help and thank you all in advance.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts
Default RE: Help with FatBoy oil change.

Drain the oil tank only, don't mess with the other plugs. Then do the filter and top it off again, no need to prime anything. It does help if the oil is warm, and when topping it off, check your levels on the sidestand.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:28 PM
rideaholic
Intermediate

Thanks a ton!! Wow quick response too. I was just going to add pics, but now I don't have to. That sounds fairly easy unlike some of my other bikes. Thanks again.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What about the tranny and the primary? There are 2 other holes to change as well...

Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 PM
rideaholic
Intermediate

Thanks for mentioning those other holes. I was aware, but I know from the dealer records that those have been changed recently and syn 3 has been put in all 3 holes. I just want to replace the engine oil again with syn 3 even though there is only about 2000 miles on this syn change. It has been a few year since it had been changed since the guy I bought it from rode it very little. I have changed that and have already put 2000 miles on it. I figure I will get at least 6,000 more miles by the end of the summer and want to make sure it's fresh. I plan on doing the other holes next. I just didn't want to flood the forum as a new guy with a bunch of questions until I had time to research and also search the forum.

Thanks again.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

It's also best to have a few of the little o-rings that are on the plug. They tend to either get lost of torn when using them over again. Cost 'ya a dime or so at the dealership.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:34 PM
bimmer10
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was curious to read the responces to this question and I was glad to see the answers. I visit another VT forum in which members would have answered this questions with the "buy the service manual" cr*p.

It very refreshing, this is what these boards are for. Now its time for a cold BEER

Old 06-06-2007, 05:54 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like was said, make sure you only drain the oil tank. The plug is in the frame directly below the oil tank. My suggestion is to break the plug loose with a 5/8" socket then use an hex wrench to run it the rest of the way out. The plugs are soft metal and the hex socket can be easily stripped. Also, put the bike on the side stand when you pull the oil filter and either put a piece of cardboard between the filter and engine or 2 litre coke bottle or a wad of paper towels. The filter will leak a buttload of oil down on your engine, garage floor, children, etc.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: rideaholic

I have been wrenching on bikes since I was 11 and this is my first Harley to wrench on. I plan on buying the service manual but just haven't had the chance yet. The owners manual is junk for any useful info on oil change and other things. I did a search and was unable to locate the general directions on an oil change for my Harley.

I see the drain for the oil tank and two drains on the bottom of the engine with one being higher than the other. I would assume that I warm the engine then shut down and remove the oil tank plug. Then remove and replace filter. I read that someone said I don't need to drain the sump. I again assume that is located in the bottom of the engine where the two plugs are located. That would be fine with me since I am not sure if there is a priming procedure after changing oil. Which brings me to my next question, do I need to do a priming procedure? Lastly, if you read this far, thank you, are there any other tips I should know? I really appreciate any and all help and thank you all in advance.
Do not remove the plug underneath the bottom of the engine, no oil will come out. Lay some aluminum foil underneath your oil filter to catch most of the spillage. There is no need to "prime" the system, however do some searching in the oil tech section and read up on the full "scavange" method for removing100%of the oil from the system.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:18 PM
loader
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Road_Clam

Do not remove the plug underneath the bottom of the engine, no oil will come out.
How do you know that? yEa !

Quick Reply: Help with FatBoy oil change.