Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with FatBoy oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Mayfair
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with FatBoy oil change.

Gotcha

Thanks for the explanation bisss & babs

Perhaps when/ if I switch from synth back to oil I'll look into this thing. Is it available anywhere?

Old 06-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Direct from their website.. I'd try it anyway even if you're not switching oils. You can actually see when the old oil is all out.. it switches color, like the old moses trick with the water turning to blood, except it turns from sludge to honey.

Nice '03 by the way.. Man I still wish I could allocate the cash for my ape / chrome front-end / stainless cable project.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Mayfair
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Babs

Direct from their website.. I'd try it anyway even if you're not switching oils. You can actually see when the old oil is all out.. it switches color, like the old moses trick with the water turning to blood, except it turns from sludge to honey.

Nice '03 by the way.. Man I still wish I could allocate the cash for my ape / chrome front-end / stainless cable project.
How much is it, I didn't notice?

Thanks for the compliment. I was actually just looking in YOUR gallery. Those saddlebags that you just put on are BADD AZZ !! I've never seen them before... they look really cool !!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks.. A couple threads about them.. I suffered for a long time trying to find the looks these bags have.. I love 'em so finally broke down and got 'em.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1040217/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
https://www.hdforums.com/m_857338/tm.htm

Iron Max bags by Ironbags.. Guy named Max in Wisconsin makes them.. Excellent quality.. Not cheap, but very much worth the dough compared to lesser bags. Rolex of leather saddlebags, in my opinion. 12-14 oz leather. He told me once there are guys that replace their bikes, spruce up the bags then put them again on the new bikes.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:11 PM
rideaholic
Intermediate

I didn't realize there were more posts on this thread. I had is set-up to notify me of new posts and it didn't. Oh well, anyway I just did my oil change and all was well except for the stinkin oil filter. That sucker was on there tight. My car oil filter remover cap wouldn't fit nor would my metal strap remover. I even tried a rubber strap remover and that wouldn't work. I ended up using a big hose clamp and an angle iron under it for leverage. It finally came off that way after denting the old filter a tad. I was able to use the same hose clamp to put on the new chrome filter. I just used the wrench to push the clamp to get it tight so that I wouldn't dent the new one. I probably could have removed the old one without denting if I did it that way too. I seemed to work well. I did try the plastic jug thing but there was just not enough room for everything so I made a mess and then cleaned it up afterward. I rode it to warm the new oil and then checked the level after the fresh stuff was warm. All seems well. Thanks a ton for the advice and direction. I am going to do a fresh post on the tranny oil change. I hope you fine people will help me out there too. Thanks again.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:21 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next time you are at the Harley shop, pick up a filter socket. It makes using the jug a ton easier.

The tranny is a snap. Main thing I'd suggest is to use a 5/8" socket to break the plug loose before you unscrew it the rest of the way with an allen wrench.

If you don't have one, get a bike jack. Sears has a crapsman you can catch on sale for $70. You'll find it makes servicing and cleaning a lot easier. Just use the tie down straps.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:31 PM
rideaholic
Intermediate

Wow! Very quick response again. I was doing a search before I posted and found a dresser tranny change and with the other info in this thread, I think I am good with the tranny change. I did a search for the primary change and saw nothing though. I will do a little more searching and will post if I can't find anything.

I do have a bike jack and used it for the oil change and also cleaning. Great investment since I use it on my ATVs also. Thanks for the suggestions again.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

There's a plug in the bottom of the outer primary. You can either fill the primary through the derby cover or if your bike is older than an '07, the primary chain inspection cover. Just add the amount of primary lube shown in your owner's manual.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:29 PM
rideaholic
Intermediate

Thanks again oldgeezer. I found the plug on the bike and oil amounts in the manual. I was also going to check the primary chain adjustment while I was in there. Any tips on the chain adjustment? Also, is there a line that the primary oil level should go to? I plan on filling through the adjustment hole and saw in the manual that the level line is at a point on the clutch. I would rather not have to remove the clutch cover also. Thanks again a ton. I feel bad asking all these questions and really do appreciate all the help. Great forum!!

Old 06-13-2007, 10:58 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

Check up in the how to section of this forum in the clutch and primary section. There's a thread called making a primary adjustment tool. That will help you with the adjustment.

Quick Reply: Help with FatBoy oil change.