Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with FatBoy oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Mayfair
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with FatBoy oil change.

ORIGINAL: Road_Clam

Do not remove the plug underneath the bottom of the engine, no oil will come out.

Lay some aluminum foil underneath your oil filter to catch most of the spillage.
OK ... you've peaked MY curiosity. How DO you get the oil out?

I'm not a big fan of the tin foil idea either. I've heard this before, however I'd be inclined to think it would easily scratch the engine. I'd go with what was mentioned earlier ... the 2 liter soda bottle. I've never heard of that before but I think it would work like a champ.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:54 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you cut the big end off a 2 litre soda bottle, you can slip it along with a couple of paper towels between the engine and the filter. I have a HD filter socket that fits with my socket set. I put an extension on the filter socket, run the extension out the cap of the bottle and unscrew the filter. Works pretty well.

By the way, the plug at the bottom of the engine is generally put in with locktite, you'll strip it if you try to remove it. Drain the oil from the tank only as previously mentioned.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 PM
harleymojoman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a cool method for the Oil filter ! ! ! !
I never thought of the long extension thru the 2 litre pour opening! Where's my Sprite bottle?
This forum is a great place to learn.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:57 AM
shortfatboy
Banned

If You don't scavenge you will leave 3/4 of a qt of old oil in the engine...and you will get less than a shotglass out of the bottom plug

Old 06-07-2007, 11:16 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: shortfatboy

If You don't scavenge you will leave 3/4 of a qt of old oil in the engine...and you will get less than a shotglass out of the bottom plug
I can live with that. I use synthetic and change my oil every 3000 miles. To me, it isn't worth the effort to scavenge all the oil from the engine.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sold on scavenging the crank but that's definitely not in the manual.
http://www.roguechopper.com/video-tcb.html
Purges the old oil so it doesn't contaminate the new oil. The old-timers called this a 5 quart oil change.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Mayfair
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Babs

I'm sold on scavenging the crank but that's definitely not in the manual.
http://www.roguechopper.com/video-tcb.html
Purges the old oil so it doesn't contaminate the new oil. The old-timers called this a 5 quart oil change.
VERY cool video Babs, but I don't see how it totally flushes the system. If I'm understanding it right, you drain the oil, re-fill the oil again, and then drain off just a quart. How is this totally flushing the system?Isn't it just furtherdilutingwhatwas left in there? Wouldn't I have the same effect ifI just drained the oil, re-filled with fresh oil and filter, ran for five or so minutes, and then did another oil change, or at least drained 1 quart? To me it seems like the samething only with the addition of an extraoil filter.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:03 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The oil that was in the sump is what is pumped out of the oil line into the bucket. All that is left is the new clean oil from the tank. That is why you ride it and check and possibly add more oil. Very cool, but everyone I talk to says it doesn't really matter if you do that or not. Maybe one day I will, who knows.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Mayfair
Tourer

So the oil that you've added doesn't mix into the sump before doing this?

If not, THEN I could understand it, but I just don't see how that could be possible.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically, you've drained and swapped the tank.. Then all you're doing is pushing that clean oil through the engine, which pushes the old oil out, back up to the return line. So I imagine you might have some 'mixing' a little going on, plus any old oil on the inside walls of the tank, but for the most part, once flushed, you've pretty effectively purged the old oil from the system.

Like Anubisss said though.. opinions vary on it's usefulness.. I'd say especially if you keep up with your oil changes regularly. I did it when I dumped the Syn 3 to switch to Mobil 1 because I wanted every single drop I could get of the syn 3 out of the bike. And I can say, the difference was frightening.. and after riding for a good period after that change, the oil was still crystal clean.

I think the thing is, once the oil goes into the engine, it's held in tight arteries in the engine except for the crank.. without looking, I may be totally wrong, but there's a big "conduit" of circulation going on inside the engine.. So when you flush, it's like the cat (new oil) chasing the mouse (old oil) throughout the motor then back out.

Quick Reply: Help with FatBoy oil change.