Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing leather bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017 | 11:12 PM
RoadTrippin'
|
Cruiser
Default Washing leather bags

I've got a 2013 Heritage and each time I wash it I remove my leather bags. So, my question is... Do I really need to do this? I know they get wet from time to time,but is it ok to leave them on when I wash the bike. And what is best to use on the bags to keep them in good condition? I'm open for any feed back.

Old 04-24-2017 | 11:33 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Good to take them off.
​​​​​​​
Use Lexall on em. Wash (Orange bottle). Conditioner (brown bottle)
keeps em like new

Old 04-25-2017 | 06:30 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Sure you can leave them on but it would be difficult to clean the rear area.
Obviously you don't want to saturate them but a little water shouldn't hurt them.

Old 04-25-2017 | 08:39 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

In time, they'll get rained on, but I always took my leather bags off when I washed the bike. Easier to clean the rear wheel/fender with them out of the way. I usually wiped them down with a damp towel to remove the dust, then followed up with a leather preservative. I used Sno-Seal (a beeswax product sold in sporting goods stores).

Old 04-25-2017 | 12:37 PM
tommyglide
Tourer

I clean the bags first, while on the bike so they aren't sliding all over the work bench and take them off to wash the bike. Not very time consuming and then I feel better.
Leather takes a bit of attention but it can look good for many years.

Old 04-25-2017 | 01:21 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser

I never leave my saddlebags on while washing. Hell, it only take a couple minutes to remove them and as someone else mentioned how are you supposed to clean the rear end with them on.

Seriously, I wouldn't want to expose the leather to the cleaning solutions and all the water.
I didn't know exactly what products to clean the leather and keep it looking good so I simply picked up the cleaning spray and wax conditioner at the dealer. That stuff works great. I use the spray cleaner usually every time I detail and when I wash. The wax gets used a couple times a year or if the leather begins to look dry.

The following users liked this post:
RoadTrippin' (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017 | 01:25 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Only reason to remove bags is to access areas of the bike for cleaning. Otherwise, it's a waste of time. I've rode hundreds of miles in rain with leather bags. I also commute to work on my bike. It occasionally sits in rain. I never had a problem with the leather degrading. That's because I periodically treat the bags with Doc Bailey's, a good leather conditioner. I use Bailey's on my bags, jacket, boots and chaps.

RoadTrippin' (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017 | 01:48 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

I wash them on the bike, dry them and then remove them to wash the bike. Their going to get wet if you get caught in the rain. It's just gonna happen. I've been in such driving rain that they have been completely saturated with water. After you wash them, simply use a leather treatment/conditioner on them. That will also help protect them when they do get wet.

Old 04-25-2017 | 07:01 PM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain

Bags come off every time I clean the bike. I've used many different brands of leather conditioners and believe it or not. I always go back to the HD leather conditioner. I think it's the bees wax in it that I like about it. Good UV protection and water beads right off. Bags still look like new on my 14. Takes an hour and I do it every couple weeks but at $700+ for bags I'm going to do everything I can to take care of them

Minister1955 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017 | 08:11 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

I use HD's treatment on mine about twice a year. Seems to work fine. I still remove them to wash the bike so I can clean around the rear wheel/suspension area. I've also had Boss Bags do their thing and they still look great after eight years.

Quick Reply: Washing leather bags