Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First oil change on old fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017 | 07:45 AM
CBCanada
|
Cruiser
Default First oil change on old fatboy

I have a 1996 fatboy I purchased last year about to do my first oil change. The filter I got from the dealership is different dimensions then what's on my bike. The filter on my bike is 4" long same diameter.

the new filter is maybe 3" but shorter for sure

can anyone tell me anything about this ?

thanks

Old 04-23-2017 | 08:24 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master

I wouldn't worry about it that's for sure. As far as why, sorry - not much help..

Old 04-23-2017 | 08:58 AM
xfirecat
6th Gear

The critical measurements are the thread size and gasket size. Different manufacturers use different case sizes. The old one may or may not have been OEM. I wouldn't worry about it either. If it's the first oil change for an old bike don't forget the other fluids.

Old 04-23-2017 | 09:16 AM
CBCanada
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by xfirecat
The critical measurements are the thread size and gasket size. Different manufacturers use different case sizes. The old one may or may not have been OEM. I wouldn't worry about it either. If it's the first oil change for an old bike don't forget the other fluids.
i changed the primary oil and the other one I forget what it's called now. Transmission I think?

okay any ideas how to remove the aftermarket filter that's on there now ? As you can see it has no grooves for the removal cap.

Old 04-23-2017 | 10:57 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CBCanada

okay any ideas how to remove the aftermarket filter that's on there now ? As you can see it has no grooves for the removal cap.
Strap wrench, close to the base as possible.

Old 04-23-2017 | 02:29 PM
xfirecat
6th Gear

Yes you will need an oil filter wrench, the smaller size. YouTube it if you feel more comfortable. There is a guy that uses the box to divert the oil from the filter away from the bike. It's an easy job. Don't overtighten the new filter. Wet the gasket with fresh oil and spin it on by hand. Same as any spin on filter.

Old 04-28-2017 | 01:23 PM
CBCanada
|
Cruiser

Ok I got my bike up on a lift just drained the oil. And I got official factory manual from dealership and no where on the manual does it show you how to oil change and never mind that. How much oil to put in is not even mentioned

1) how much oil do I put in a 1996 Evo fatboy

2) what kinda manual is thin? Hahahaha

Old 04-28-2017 | 03:39 PM
CBCanada
|
Cruiser

The oil change is done case closed thank you for all that chipped in with their two cents and help me outI filled it up by eyeball and it's just a hairline over the top dot on the measuring stick I hope that's OK

Last edited by CBCanada; 04-28-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: ERRor
Old 05-01-2017 | 05:43 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member

A lot of guys used to run that long filter on thier evos to get a little more oil in the system... necessary? No! Piece of mind? To some!

oil level should be mid way between the dots, hot and bike uprigbt!

Old 05-01-2017 | 06:05 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

The 1996 Fb is a great ride I still have mine to this day The EVO filter was a 30 micron one but now everyone use the 5 micron on everything.
Make sure you clean the tappet screen also. Let it warm up before you beat on it and the base gaskets are less likely to seep.
1996 FB Owners manual.

Attached Thumbnails First oil change on old fatboy-fb.jpg  

Quick Reply: First oil change on old fatboy