Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Battery Leads - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Longplay
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Loose Battery Leads - Why?

OK, after reading here for several months following threads to get better informed for my FXSTC (07), I have got it. Yes, first of all, check to see if the battery posts are tight.

Now, I had to put my bike away for several months due to a work commitment overseas, and just now got back to it for a few weeks to ride a little bit. Of course, it was a very short notice deal, had no time to prep the bike before I left. Returning, expecting a dead battery.

Yes, 100% correct dead as a doornail. Tested and yep, bad, will not take a charge. So I get a new battery.

Issue I had was as I went to take off the old battery, I noticed that there were 2 screws on the + post and 1 screw on the - post. ALL 3 were loose to the point that I did not even need a wrench or plier to move them. Unscrewed them all with fingers alone. VERY odd, as I do think they were tight about 11 months ago when I bought the bike as I checked that. Reading here, it is VERY obvious, electrical ANYTHING, always gets the response from a few folks, check the battery leads. Now I know why!!

I noted that the old battery had what I think are stainless screws into the threaded LEAD or LEAD Alloy posts. The new battery has a stainless insert, that accepts the screws. So the new screws are into a much harder set of threads.

Are many batteries using threaded holes in the lead cast in posts?

If so, that is likely why they work loose. Lead will deform under stress and vibration, and after some time they would almost always work loose.

Any other methods to tighten these systems? I have never seen this stainless insert method on a battery before, but they are used in breaker boxes sometimes as I have seen.... Comments?

Old 04-18-2017, 02:41 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

lock washers !

Old 04-18-2017, 04:39 PM
Longplay
Tourer

Well, not sure why that never occurred to me, I was thinking in the color BLUE!!

But yeah, that should work.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:02 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

I’ve alway used red loctite on my batteries. On everything actually.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:10 AM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Didn't really read your post, too long but I have noticed that when you mount your battery leads sideways they can loosen just by lifting or possibly moving around. Try mounting them so that if they get moved/lifted/etc they tighten, not loosen. Does that make sense?
Also isn't that red locktight the super strong stuff? I've broken bolts before using that. I think you should use the blue. Or do I have that backwards?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 AM
DieselDoc103
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Blue is the medium strength , red is like holy ***** I need a impact .

use the blue...... only time you should ever use red is if it positively never ever needs to be taken off ever again

Old 04-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Longplay
Tourer

+1 on the Blue. I use it for lots of things around here.

You are right, Rquest, the battery lead that was on the side was the loosest and it was the first thing I noticed when I was preparing to remove that battery. The wire moved as I touched it, and obviously not tight at all.

I think the learning moment for me is, at least at the beginning of the season, one should go over the battery, tighten everything, and look for chafing wiring and pinched areas of the harness in there. With my big Ultimate seat, absolutely nothing is visible and out of sight out of mind kind of things happen.

Thanks for the loc tite info. I likely will start using it on electrical stuff. Never used it for electric before, but this does make sense....

Old 04-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselDoc103
Blue is the medium strength , red is like holy ***** I need a impact .

use the blue...... only time you should ever use red is if it positively never ever needs to be taken off ever again
I use red all the time, and I dont have any trouble getting fasteners out. I too wrench for a living. I think its just important to know where you can use it and where you cant. Small fasteners, red is the stuff.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

I don't use threadlocker on battery bolts. I check the bolts anytime I remove the seat.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Cleaning and checking torque of the fittings is just part of routine maintenance. Neglect will bite one in the butt.