Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

led skull gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007 | 01:56 PM
dibutterfly
|
Stage II
Default led skull gas gauge

I just put the skull led gas gauge on my spring softtail (fuel injected) and I'm not sure where the gray wire goes under the speedometer.....can anyone help with this??? I've tried two different places (it says something about a yellow/white wire, but the one I found isn't working. Thanks!!

Old 06-04-2007 | 02:01 PM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Default RE: led skull gas gauge

I don't think even the Harley techs know! I had mine put on at Trivetts in Sydney. The first time they did it, the low fuel light would come on when the tank was FULL and after they "fixed it" no low fuel light comes on the dash anymore! How hard could it possibly be?

Doing most stuff myself from now on. Get the boys over, put on a bbq and beer and you're off and racin'!

DeanO

Old 06-04-2007 | 06:16 PM
Loud1
Tourer

I have this on my bike . It is the yellow and white wire under the dash . The reason your low fuel light wont come on is because you are replacing that light with the led red light that comes on the skull when fuel is low . Why do you say its not working ? have you run it low and the red light doesnt come on ? If you hook that wire to the correct spot when the fuel is low you should have no blue lights just red and nothing happens on the dash anymore . Hope that wasnt to confusing

Old 06-04-2007 | 07:22 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

them skull caps look cool, but mine is the flush mount.. mine work fine tho.. blue lights..go down till a red light...then when that gets low it starts to blink red.. so they do work correctly... i didnt install mine tho

Old 06-04-2007 | 07:50 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master

That's a pretty common fix when they don't know what to do. Disconnect the warning light and it will never be on at the wrong time.

Old 06-05-2007 | 01:18 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

It has been a few weeks since I did mine, but it seemed to me there were two wires that were similar in colour. I think it was pin 9, or something. I used a safety pin to pop out the original, and put the grey wire into that slot. The low fuel light on the dash ISN'T supposed to work anymore. The LED skull gauge handles that job for you, if properly installed. The left hand most light goes solid red when you're at about 1/3 of a tank (roughly 1.7 U.S. gallons), and it starts blinking when you hit about the 3 litre point. (about .8 of a U.S. gallon...) Check the tech section for pointers. I found some tips there that definitely helped when I was installing mine. Good luck. It is a bit of a P.I.T.A. to install, but once it is in, it looks supremely cool IMHO.

Old 06-05-2007 | 08:25 PM
dibutterfly
|
Stage II

Can you tell me does the wire go into the speedo or into the tank itself?? I had a wiring diagram of the speedo and I didn't see any wire going into port 9, although I'm pretty sure that's what the instructions said (which I've since misplaced!!).
Thanks