Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer with slight wobble on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017 | 09:57 PM
Jimmy Knuckles
|
Advanced
Default Springer with slight wobble on deceleration

2006 FXSTS, spoke front, solid rear wheel. Had Dunlop on the front and Michelin Commander II on the rear. With about 8K on the front I started to notice a slight wobble or shimmy in the bars on deceleration, closed throttle but no brake application.

Replaced the front (MH90-21) with an Avon Cobra. Bike seemed to turn in quicker and no wobble on decel. Loved the tire. Put 4K on it with no problems.

One morning I find the front flat; tire valve on the tube leaking where the tube was molded to it. Told wifie I would pull the wheel and take it to a shop to replace the tube. Well, the dear wife decided to surprise me and called the local indy. He picked the bike up for free; he told her he could replace the tube but he would give her a great deal on a new tire too. Exit my Avon Cobra with at least 5K miles left in it and enter a Metzler M880. Quicker turn in is gone, but with only 300 miles on the tire the wobble/shimmy on decel is back!

What gives? The Metzler looks much like the old Dunlop; both are somewhat wider than the Avon. Any experience with Metzler, good or bad? What do you all suppose is causing this wobble (fall away is correct, front end feels normal, head bearings get lube every 2500 miles and are properly adjusted).

Old 04-15-2017 | 10:02 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Are the spokes adjusted properly? Is the tire balanced and inflated? Are the bottom rockers in good shape?

Old 04-16-2017 | 08:36 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

You should search the forum.
There is many post related to this subject.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/searc...rchid=39153530

I will tell you this; I've never read where-as it was one particular thing that fixed the problem.

For me I added Ride-On in both tires and it pretty much took care of the effect.

Last edited by Bluraven; 04-16-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2017 | 02:36 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluraven
You should search the forum.
There is many post related to this subject.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/searc...rchid=39153530

I will tell you this; I've never read where-as it was one particular thing that fixed the problem.

For me I added Ride-On in both tires and it pretty much took care of the effect.
I agree. I have an 05 FXSTS, I'm on my second set of MC 2's on spoked rims and never had any issues with wobbles from new to worn out tires. . Might give Ride On a try and see if it helps the wobbles to go away.

Old 04-17-2017 | 08:43 AM
Jimmy Knuckles
|
Advanced

Thanks for the reply.
At speed the bike runs straight and true so the tire balance seems good. I checked the tire pressure after it cooled the first time I felt the return of the wobble and it was good. Jacked the bike up yesterday and spun the front wheel with an indicator beside the rim and then the tire OD. Wheel appears to be true and the tire is not out of round.
I'll bring the bike in to the local shop to have the front end checked.
Both the Dunlop and the Metzler are wider than the Cobra...I'm just wondering if that has anything to do with it since the wobble seems to follow the tire. Sure do miss that Cobra.

Old 04-17-2017 | 09:18 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

I would dare to say that you are looking in the wrong place for the wobble. I can understand taking a hard look at your tires which is where most folks start but if I were you I would take it to a reputable shop and have them check your neck bearings. I had that problem with my Springer back in 08 and it did exactly as you described. Had nothing to do with the tires. I lucked out and got mine fixed under warranty.

Old 04-18-2017 | 11:17 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I would dare to say that you are looking in the wrong place for the wobble. I can understand taking a hard look at your tires which is where most folks start but if I were you I would take it to a reputable shop and have them check your neck bearings. I had that problem with my Springer back in 08 and it did exactly as you described. Had nothing to do with the tires. I lucked out and got mine fixed under warranty.

ya that

Old 05-08-2017 | 11:36 AM
Jimmy Knuckles
|
Advanced

Well, got the bike back from the Indy after I asked him to check the front end. He said the bearings etc. were sound and in good condition. The fall away was within spec but he went through the adjustment process just to be sure. After a couple hundred miles the bike still handles fine and the wobble is gone. I'm not even speculating what resolved the issue, just enjoying the warm weather and happy the scoot is running right.