Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 FXSTC stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007 | 11:41 AM
devdwt
|
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 FXSTC stalling issue

I bought an '07 FXSTC September '06 (first Harley) and rode first 1300 miles with no problems. I got a letter from HD concerning a reprogramming issue that is supposed to optimize the torque curve etc. Took the bike in this spring to get first service, oil change etc. and the reprogramming. After I got it back and rode about 150 miles. Mywife ad I were riding one afternoon (close to home luckily) and the bike just suddenly died as if the switch had been turned off. It would not restart. Got it home in the back ofmy truck. Next morning it started just fine. Took it to the dealer (Smoky Mountain HD Maryville,TN) they kept it about a week and said they had found an issue with some wiring pinched where it went down by the frame and had gotten some fault codes from the ecm. Anyway, I rode it again about 100 miles and Memorial Day we started a ride (local) after going about10-15 miles BAM same thing! Died again and would not restart. (Started then to recall my buddies saying "man don't buy a Harley" and telling them "it's OK nowdays they just don't give problems")This time I messed with the wiring harness, disconnected the BAT to re-set the ecm and got it to start but it wouldn't run well enough toride it home.Got it home (truck again) took it back to dealer. This time the service dept called and said they had found theecm was badand ordered a new one. I talked to one of the parts guys there and he informed me that he doesn't think its the ecm but rather a switch or breaker under the seat that gets hot and opens causing the stalling.
Has anyone had this same issue? If so please shed some light on it. I am wondering now if the service techs really know what the problem is!
It makes me leary about riding anywhere now without someone following me in a truck!

Old 06-04-2007 | 04:25 PM
Professor
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: 07 FXSTC stalling issue

this same thing happened to me when I bought my 2001 dresser new. It died several times, starting intermittently for however long it decided to run. They replaced the ecm and it has been fine since, 35,000 miles later.