Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 fatboy lo, abs light on after bleeding front brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Manvsdirt
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 fatboy lo, abs light on after bleeding front brake

ABS light is on after bleeding front brake. I had no front brake (lever went to the handlebar) so I bled the system. I now have a perfectly good front brake but the ABS light is on. What I don't understand is the hydraulic line only runs from the front brake master cylinder to the front brake caliper. There is no ABS device in between? Nor are there any wires or sensors going to the front caliper? Any thoughts or insights? I've been a dirtbike mechanic for many years. This is the first Harley I've ever worked on.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:04 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

If you dont have a wire coming from the wheel spacer on the left side and a pump between the front down tubes, then you dont have abs. Was your speedo changed from another bike that had abs? Simply bleeding the brakes will not cause the abs light to come on!

Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM
Manvsdirt
3rd Gear

There's no wires and no hydraulic lines going to the ABS system from the front brake. I believe the rear is going to an ABS valving system. Is it possible to have only rear abs? I know that sounds like a dumb question given it would only be serving one wheel? I've just never worked on a bike with ABS.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:53 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Your ABS sensor is in the wheel bearing spacer. Not exactly sure why but HD claims you can't bleed brakes on an ABS equipped bike without hooking it up to the computer at the shop. I know that isn't true because I've replaced the fluid in my front and rear brakes myself with no problems. As I understand it the ABS light will stay on if you introduce air into the system like, for example, when you replace the brake lines and completely drain all the fluid. Whatever went wrong with yours, I'm afraid you'll have to take it to HD and have them reset the ABS system.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Manvsdirt
3rd Gear

I've read that (need a DT to turn off the ABS light) on different threads. What puzzles me the most is that the hydraulic line only goes from the front master to the front caliper with nothing in between? I don't understand how this could possibly be ABS? Can anyone confirm?

Old 04-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Berick
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Manvsdirt
I've read that (need a DT to turn off the ABS light) on different threads. What puzzles me the most is that the hydraulic line only goes from the front master to the front caliper with nothing in between? I don't understand how this could possibly be ABS? Can anyone confirm?

That's not ABS. The line would from your front brake reservoir would go to a junction box thing mounted on the front of your bike and then to your front wheel.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Berick
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

As Blackxpress already said..... if you had ABS there would be a bushing with a wire coming out of it located on your front axle between your fork and the wheel. If you don't have that.... you don't have ABS. I've bled my ABS brakes several times and never needed a Digital Technician. I bled them just as I would a regular non-ABS brake system and everything was just fine. You very likely got air in your lines if you bled the reservoir dry while bleeding or your brake fluid level is low. I use a Mighty-vac brake bleeding pump and it works flawlessly.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Manvsdirt
3rd Gear

Hey thanks guys. I'm a dirtbike mechanic, this is the first Harley I've ever looked at let alone worked on, so I really appreciate this forum and all of your input. It looks to me like someone has removed the ABS from the the bike. The bike was brought to me not running. The entire clutch pack was froze up and the front brake came in all the way to the lever. I replaced the clutch (it has an external BDL Primary drive) and bled the front brake and then took it for a test ride and found the ABS light on. I just checked and there is no ABS system attached to the rear brake either. It has a Hydraulic line running from the master to a junction with a brake light switch which sits low near the frame in the area between the motor and transmission, then another line running to the rear caliper. That's it, no ABS! Strange that it has an ABS that is lit? I've yet to ask the owner about it. I would have to assume at this point that it was previously lit?

Old 04-07-2017, 02:41 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Are you sure that "junction with a brake light switch" is not the ABS solenoid?

Old 04-07-2017, 03:02 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 251 Posts

^He does not have ABS, so yes, it is exactly as described.

Quick Reply: 2010 fatboy lo, abs light on after bleeding front brake