Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

greast from steering head normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007 | 11:44 AM
LarryJ00
|
Intermediate
Default greast from steering head normal?

Ok, I have 800 miles on my bike and ever since new it has dripped grease from the steering head bearings. I can ride as little as 50 miles and it flies or drips back on the front of the engine. The dealer says Harley used a light weight(too light) grease and they use a heavier type. I looked at one on their showroom floor and it dripped a spot where the bike sits. I wonder if anyone else has this. It isn't a problem other than wiping it off the front of the engine ever time I ride. I tend to suspect it was my dealer and not Harley who put it in there when they first got the bike in. I am thinking there isn't any way to get the stuff out of there and I'm stuck with this. This isn't what I expected from a new Harley. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has this.Thanks in advance, Larry

Old 06-03-2007 | 11:48 AM
ironman
Advanced
Default RE: greast from steering head normal?

hi, my 06 fatboy suffers from the same issue, although it doesnt drip down and reach the engine.

Mind you, the temp here in the UK is still pretty cool, so this might happen if we get a summer this year!!!!

Ill keep an eye on it and continue to wipe away any excess as it arises.
So. . . . . you arent on your own!!!

Old 06-03-2007 | 01:48 PM
Hiflyer
Cruiser

My 07 FXSTC did not lose grease from the head until after my 1000 mile maintenance. After the mainenacne I noticed grease on the front of the engine and even had some come back on my pants. It was coming from the bottom of the head. I went back to the dealer and the mechancic who worked on my bike told me he really packed the grease in the head and it was normal for some of it to come out. I have put over 2000 miles since and it is no longer a problem. Either the head now has the amount of grease it needs or has run out. I pay close attention to it for signs of being dry, but so far it seems OK.

Old 06-03-2007 | 03:03 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

yeah mine was pussn out grease, wiped it off a few times and it hasn't been such a problem since

Old 06-03-2007 | 03:14 PM
LarryJ00
|
Intermediate

Wow, I love this board!! It is good to know it isn't just me.
I go in for the thousand mile service soon so I might ask to NOT add anymore to it *L*.
I appreciate the answersand now I can seeI misspelled the word grease in the topic *L*..jees..it is the weekend so maybe I'm allowed *L*
thanks again. Mine may stop ooozzzing out someday

Old 06-03-2007 | 03:16 PM
anubisss
Banned

Just wash it and the excess grease will come out and not get all over you or your bike. They put a lot in there so as to make sure the bearings are lubricated well...

Old 06-03-2007 | 03:23 PM
YTHOG
Cruiser

I was just talking to my dealer mechanic yesterday about the same problem on my 07 deluxe that has 300 miles on it. I thought the bearing seal had broken because I also had grease coming out of the bottom of the steering fork tube however, there is no seal to break. Problem is if they (dealer) put too much grease in the fork tube (there is a grease fitting right above the fork lock)+ summertime heat, it will leak out of the bottom where the bearing is. Same senerio if you overfill the grease fitting on a lawn mower ect, if you put too much in it has to come out somewhere.

Old 06-03-2007 | 07:47 PM
grzly
Road Master

same issue -apparently reasonably common - dealer said HD tend to pack too much in and over time it will find right balance ( ie the excess will will come out and needs to be cleaned off the block/fender)

Old 06-03-2007 | 07:58 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Had same issue on my 06 Fatboy, nothing to worry about. Just wipe it off and keep riding. My bike now has 6000 miles and stopped leaking after about 3000.

Old 06-03-2007 | 08:04 PM
rbabos
Banned

Same thing here on my fxstc. Damn oil is separating from the grease and blowing on my left side of the tank and top of tappet cover. I guessed they missed that problem too when testing these bikes 24/7. Cheap *** grease.
Ron

Quick Reply: greast from steering head normal?