Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Spark??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 05:44 PM
crestwood
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark??

Ive just picked up a nice 2001 Softail Custom 10K Miles. It hasn't run in 5 years or more. Im trying to get it to fire off. Pulled the plugs and no spark at the plug when lying against the jug. I tried it with another plug with the original back in. No luck. I installed a new ignition module.. yep still no luck. Forums are leading me to the BAS and the CPS. I don't want to be a parts changer and start throwing money at this thing. as you know no electrical part is returnable...I installed a new battery also. There is no security system but when I turn the key the lights flash fast like my 14 ultra. The old owner says there is no fob. How can I check the Bank Angle sensor and the crank position sensor? Or it is something slapping me in the face I don't see yet. I have a multi meter and troubleshooting ability. Thank you .

Old 03-05-2017, 05:48 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

There is a big Sticky in the electrical section to help you diagnose.
I would check power to the coil first after checking fuses.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:50 PM
crestwood
6th Gear

Im New here... Not sure I follow you... I did check the fuses and all is good.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:00 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

At the top of the Electrical and lighting section of the Forum, which you'll find if you go to the "Forums" button at the top left of the page, you'll see a drop down that has "mechanical" topics. In there you'll find an "Electrical and Lighting" subsection. At the beginning of that, you'll see a "sticky" on how to diagnose electrical troubles on a Harley.

The following users liked this post:
crestwood (03-06-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 11:09 PM
rquest
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

does it have an alarm?

Old 03-06-2017, 08:19 AM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lets start at the top here. You say the lights flash fast when you turn on the key. So that tells me there IS a security system. Does the starter crank the motor when you push the start button? Most old owners that say there is no fob and the lights flash, turns out there's a fob zip-tied to the handlebars and they never knew it was there.

My point here is that you want to start with the basics. Security system is a stopper... make damn sure there is none before you go replacing any more parts.

The following users liked this post:
crestwood (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 PM
crestwood
6th Gear

Originally Posted by spydyr
Lets start at the top here. You say the lights flash fast when you turn on the key. So that tells me there IS a security system. Does the starter crank the motor when you push the start button? Most old owners that say there is no fob and the lights flash, turns out there's a fob zip-tied to the handlebars and they never knew it was there.

My point here is that you want to start with the basics. Security system is a stopper... make damn sure there is none before you go replacing any more parts.
The original owner insists that there is no FOB or security system.. Im stumped but I agree the lights are behaving like there is a security system of some sort. and thers a security fuse in the dam fuse box...

Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 PM
crestwood
6th Gear

Originally Posted by spydyr

And yes the motor cranks.. Just can't get any spark at the plugs. Ive tried laying a good one against the head and cranking it.. keeping another plug in the cylinder ...

Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I guess I'm stumped. Bad coil I guess is all I got. And that's just a guess. I'm still not 100% convinced it doesn't have security. Maybe take it up to the dealer for them to check it electronically to know for sure. Seems like a silly waste of time, but after that it's gonna be expensive anyways.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:09 PM
crestwood
6th Gear
Default No spark

I'm frustrated as well. Today I swapped out a working turn signal module without alarm same result. Anther thread said to just disconnect the crank position sensor. Another fail. This bike is too mint and un-****ed with to have an issue like this. I have power at the coil just no spark. Bout ready to throw up the white flag.

Quick Reply: No Spark??