Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do these wires go....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:44 AM
AlexJamess
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do these wires go....

Just picked up a 13 Slim.

I disconnected the plug for the front turn signals as pictured.
I'm not cutting the wires, but rather am going the disconnecting the wires in the molex connector to pul them through the bars.

My question is...after i disconnected the connector, it seems the wires go further toward the back of the tank and under the tank. I don't want to yank on them too hard but does anybody know how far back they go or if there is more zip tie I have to cut?

Will I have to lift the tank up?

Any help appreciated, thanks

Old 02-14-2017, 10:40 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm not familiar with a Slim so my comments are just basic Harley: I assume those wires run all the way back (under the tank) to ECM/Battery area. But why would you need to "pull" on it? The wires you would need to disconnect from the connector to route through the bars would be on the end that connects to the connector in the pic right?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexJamess
Just picked up a 13 Slim.

I disconnected the plug for the front turn signals as pictured.
I'm not cutting the wires, but rather am going the disconnecting the wires in the molex connector to pul them through the bars.

My question is...after i disconnected the connector, it seems the wires go further toward the back of the tank and under the tank. I don't want to yank on them too hard but does anybody know how far back they go or if there is more zip tie I have to cut?

Will I have to lift the tank up?

Any help appreciated, thanks
You are asking about the turn signals wires that are disconnected in the photo?

If so, those go all the way back under the seat to your main wiring harness. Most Softails have a rubber piece that sits on the backbone of the frame under that tank. This rubber piece has tunnels on either side of the frame which are used to run any wiring from the front of the bike to the back and helps prevent wires bundles from hanging down and possibly touching hot engine parts. Along the way different wire bundles can be zipped tied together or run through plastic retainers set into the bike to route them efficiently. You'd have to remove your tank in order to get to all of them depending on what you are doing.

All that said, why would you need to pull on this wire? And why would you need to remove the molex connector from it? If you are running your turn signal wires internally, you would remove the molex connector that is attached to the sigs in order to extend those wires if necessary and then run them through your handlebars. You would then just re-attach the connector to them and plug them back into the end that is coming out from under your tank.

Or maybe we are not really understand what you are trying to do?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:35 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

My '13 Slim has a single plug for both front turns located about midway of the tank attached to the frame backbone. Yours is probably the same, you will need to looses the tank bolts and slide it back to gain access to the plug. You should not have to remove fuel feed but may have to unhook one side of the crossover.

Edit: I just saw you have the signal wire unplugged...You should be good to go

Last edited by FLS103; 02-14-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Mabbott
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Seems like the same set up as my deluxe. I ended up having to pull the tank off to get to those plugs. They are right in the middle of the tank. Definitely do not pull on them, there isn't enough slack for them to come out the front.
If you go through the trouble of disconnecting that crossover tube, which will inevitably get gas everywhere, you might as well just pull the tank off. It's really not hard to do.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:21 PM
TGlynn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate that connector. Mine had a bad connection after re-attaching to wire extension (new bars). I just cut the plug out and soldered the correct wires.