Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by viarengo
Attachment 509976

Just got my baby back from the shop with FX springer installed. Looks good, rides ok. Although it sounds like a bucket of marbles when riding slow; lots of shaking rattling and roiling.

My guy says that's normal for springers. I find it hard to believe that anyone buying a new spinger Harley would accept that.

What say ye?

Another question: are the springer forks adjustable? Sure looks like they should be.

Any insight into care and maintenance would be appreciated.

pv
Zero shaking and rattling on my Springer. Sounds like something is wrong with yours. There is a fallaway adjustment and a rocker bearing adjustment but that's it. These are detailed in the service manual and I can link up a instructional video if you are interested.

But they ride great and make no noise in my experience so I'd be checking yours out if I was you.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:47 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

That's not normal. I would not ride it until you sort the problems. Here's service info in addition to the service manual. This is for the FL fork but should pretty much be the same for the FX.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/frame...d-service.html

Old 05-25-2017, 03:51 PM
viarengo
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Joe. Good to hear it's not normal to make a racket. I'll be going back to my guy, however I am trying to gather info first.

>These are detailed in the service manual and I can link up a instructional video if you are interested.

Yes, I would be very interested in the video.

I'll be posting pictures of what my situation looks like; even being a novice, I see some things that don't look right.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:53 PM
viarengo
Novice

Thanks GT. I will take a look.

Good to hear it's not normal to make a racket. I'll be going back to my guy, however I am trying to gather info first.

I'll be posting pictures of what my situation looks like; even being a novice, I see some things that don't look right.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:33 PM
viarengo
Novice
Default Spring has sprung...

..., but seem to have a problem(s).

Thanks for the input guys, I may have missed thanking some personally - fell behind in correspondence.

It seems the consensus is that springer forks shouldn't sound like a bucket of bolts when going down the road.

Even as a novice I have made some observations:

1. Looking from riding position, the right upper spring does not align with the bottom spring.

2. Bottom springs don't look as tight as I have seen on others.

3. The dog bone; short arm connecting the fender mounting bracket to the fork, on the right side, attaches to the fork with what seems to be a non-factory stainless steel element. Where on the other side it is factory clean.

4. There are several other what I am assuming minor issues, but wont bore you with those.

Any feedback welcome. And I will be checking the service video you guys mentioned. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Springer front end-close-up-of-springs.jpg   Springer front end-close-up-of-r-side-stainless-mounting-piece.jpg   Springer front end-l-side-fender-mount.jpg   Springer front end-both-sides-fender-mount.jpg  
Old 05-25-2017, 05:17 PM
viarengo
Novice
Default new one

Now that's the way it should look.

Attached Thumbnails Springer front end-newer-bike-springer.jpg   Springer front end-newer-bike-springs.jpg  
Old 05-25-2017, 07:06 PM
viarengo
Novice

Tom: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
>Looks like he mounted your fender on a springer bracket...post a close up of that please.

Yes, he took the bracket out of the fender I got with the FX springer, and mounted in my original fender. Was able to use two original rivit holes, and needed to drill two new holes; leaving one pair of unused holes to plug. He had to rotate the fender a couple inches to the rear to accommodate that retro-fit. It worked out pretty well. He did a good job on that. Since I apparently cant post picture here, I will on new post.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:11 PM
viarengo
Novice
Default Retrofit springer fender bracket

>Looks like he mounted your fender on a springer bracket...post a close up of that please.

Yes, he took the bracket out of the fender I got with the FX springer, and mounted in my original fender. Was able to use two original rivit holes, and needed to drill two new holes; leaving one pair of unused holes to plug. He had to rotate the fender a couple inches to the rear to accommodate that retro-fit. It worked out pretty well. He did a good job on that. Since I apparently cant post picture here, I will on new post.

Attached Thumbnails Springer front end-front-fender.jpg  
Old 05-27-2017, 05:52 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

The spring assemblies should be symmetrical side to side both the rebound (upper) and compression (lower) springs. Do all of the parts belong to the fork assembly or did they come from different places? Look at the figures in that tech tip for the exploded view of all of the parts. Does your fork have all of those parts? For example the compression springs are made up of outer and inner springs.

With the fork disassembled, the corresponding springs from each side should be the same height.