Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Well, the good news is the FL Springer is far more desirable in terms of resale than the FX. So you ought to be able to sell yours for more than an FX will cost. FX Springers have brakes on the OTHER SIDE, so make sure when you buy the next one. Also, there are 2 FX Springers. The early and late. The major difference is how the fender mounts. The late FX mounts the fender much nicer and much lower, but I'm pretty sure you will not be using your current fender. So consider that. One last note, not that it matters, the FX has more rake than the FL. It might even be a bit longer, I forget. Just stuff for you to use as reference when buying. Good luck.... Springers rule!

Old 03-16-2017, 01:34 PM
viarengo
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just in time...

Your note to me is just in time as this AM I was working on a trade; my FL for his FX. His has all the parts - no wheel, or fender. Mine is pretty much bare bones.

I was telling him that what I had come to learn was that FL rare = $$.

I sent him copy of your post. Hopefully he will take it to heart.

Thanks.

pv

Old 04-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Judging by the response from the shop you took it too, it sounds like they lack in this area and have just opted for what the book says will fit. You have a lot more options then just the fx springer, you just needed to take a few measurements

Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Bought mine from this guy on ebay a few years back. Maybe 5 years ago? Don't remember. Expensive, but worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/1961dreamer/...1&_ipg=&_from=

You can put an FL springer on your bike, but yeah it changes the rake. Lots of options dude. I like the OEM version best of all. I tried to go cheap the first time and I bought a DNA. It was a piece of ****. Those should go only on sportys or the garage wall for art. right gordon? haha.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,286 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Vulcan Engineering makes a rake kit for the FL that gets it close to the FX rake.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,943 Likes on 5,791 Posts

Originally Posted by back again
Vulcan Engineering makes a rake kit for the FL that gets it close to the FX rake.
Vulcan makes a kit for both the FX and FL...in both cases it takes the factory "derake" out...makes it an inline springer...same rake as the neck.

As far as using your current wheel...you can run any wheel of any size on an FX springer...as long as you don't run a fender...if you want to run a factory FX fender...you have to have a springer wheel...it has a severe offset. If the company that made that wheel is still in business...you could get a springer hub for it...but my guess is you would be more likely to win the lottery.

As far as your fender...if you were really good...you could drill out the rivets...and do the same to a factory springer fender...then bolt the fender to the springer bracket with stainless or chrome buttonhead bolts.

Originally Posted by viarengo
I was telling him that what I had come to learn was that FL rare = $$.
While an FL springer COMPLETE would be worth more than a complete FX...yours is missing a lot of parts and not a fair trade for a complete FX.
Tons of people are asking $2500-4500 for springers on ebay...but if you look at the "sold" listings...they usually sell in the $1300-2000 range.

Plus on the FL springers...Harley sold the equipment and rights to one of the Taiwanese company's...so you can buy an FL copy made on Harley's equipment for $1100.

Name:  DSCN0529.jpg
Views: 2458
Size:  392.1 KB

Old 05-20-2017, 11:32 PM
viarengo
Novice

Thanks for the info Tom; sorry for the delay in responding.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:56 PM
viarengo
Novice
Default Springer has sprung

Springer front end-springer-installed.jpg

Just got my baby back from the shop with FX springer installed. Looks good, rides ok. Although it sounds like a bucket of marbles when riding slow; lots of shaking rattling and roiling.

My guy says that's normal for springers. I find it hard to believe that anyone buying a new spinger Harley would accept that.

What say ye?

Another question: are the springer forks adjustable? Sure looks like they should be.

Any insight into care and maintenance would be appreciated.

pv

Attached Thumbnails Springer front end-springer-installed-right-side.jpg  
Old 05-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,943 Likes on 5,791 Posts

Originally Posted by viarengo
Attachment 509976

sounds like a bucket of marbles when riding slow; lots of shaking rattling and roiling.

My guy says that's normal for springers.

Another question: are the springer forks adjustable? Sure looks like they should be.
While a springer will make some sounds you may not be used to with a hydraulic front end...if you have excessive rattling...something is loose or worn in the front end. Take a close look at the shock...the top part can come loose and cause excessive noise.

What are you trying to adjust? No real adjustment...if you want to lower it...you need to get lowering rockers...lowering springs screw up the ride.

Looks like he mounted your fender on a springer bracket...post a close up of that please.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

My 97 FLSTS had some rattles and buzzing from new, particularly at certain speeds. Could never get rid of all of them even after the several major springer services over 120000 miles (which involved complete dismantling). Just part of the springer flavor. Every model (even bike) has its uniqueness which is what we love about them girls, right? If I can find one, I'll be putting one on my 83 wide glide.

Quick Reply: Springer front end