Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipons for my Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017 | 09:08 AM
abadley
Road Captain

Originally Posted by checkers
This was my choice 3 yrs ago on my 2011 Heritage. I did have American Custom Exhaust prep them for the street friendly baffle option. Best sound I could find after 3 sets of slip ons. Good performance also and quality top notch.
Are you still happy with this setup? I have a Fat Boy S and I was looking for a slip-on that would be louder then stock but not too loud. The aftermarket slip-ons I heard in my opinion were too loud so I went with the screamin eagle street cannon slip-ons. They sound nice over stock and have a deeper exhaust note, but still not completely satisfied. I'm looking for a bit more exhaust so I'm wondering if the American Custom exhaust with the street friendly baffle would be louder then the screamin eagle street cannons. Might be worth sending my original mufflers into them.

Old 01-30-2017 | 06:01 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by abadley
Are you still happy with this setup? I have a Fat Boy S and I was looking for a slip-on that would be louder then stock but not too loud. The aftermarket slip-ons I heard in my opinion were too loud so I went with the screamin eagle street cannon slip-ons. They sound nice over stock and have a deeper exhaust note, but still not completely satisfied. I'm looking for a bit more exhaust so I'm wondering if the American Custom exhaust with the street friendly baffle would be louder then the screamin eagle street cannons. Might be worth sending my original mufflers into them.
I tried 4 sets of mufflers on my '11 Heritage. I sent my OEM cans to American Customs. They gut 'em and weld in a permanent large metal packed baffle. I ordered the street friendly baffles. They are a long steel performance baffle that inserts inside the fixed baffle. They quiet them down and give them a deep mellow sound. You can remove these in 5 minutes and go loud for a day, they back to low mellow sound for trips, etc. I like them. You also retain the quality of the stock muffler, no blueing or rusting.

The following users liked this post:
Cobra6 (02-01-2017)
Old 01-30-2017 | 06:26 PM
abadley
Road Captain

I tried 4 sets of mufflers on my '11 Heritage. I sent my OEM cans to American Customs. They gut 'em and weld in a permanent large metal packed baffle. I ordered the street friendly baffles. They are a long steel performance baffle that inserts inside the fixed baffle. They quiet them down and give them a deep mellow sound. You can remove these in 5 minutes and go loud for a day, they back to low mellow sound for trips, etc. I like them. You also retain the quality of the stock muffler, no blueing or rusting.
Thanks for the reply! I like the idea of the removal baffles. I might have to send my OEM mufflers into them and give it a shot.

Old 01-31-2017 | 06:29 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for the reply! I like the idea of the removal baffles. I might have to send my OEM mufflers into them and give it a shot.
abadley, on a scale from 1-10 I this setup a 9. Good performance, flexible sound options, look good, sound good, and good quality. You also retain the EPA stamp if you are in an inspection.

Old 02-01-2017 | 07:44 AM
abadley
Road Captain

abadley, on a scale from 1-10 I this setup a 9. Good performance, flexible sound options, look good, sound good, and good quality. You also retain the EPA stamp if you are in an inspection.
Sounds like your extremely happy with this setup! Thanks for the information. Now I have the winter to decide what to do.

Old 02-01-2017 | 02:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
Ordered the S&S High Perf. tapered muffs. They look like the stock muffs, but should be less restrictive. I'll let ya know how they work out.
Sounds like your extremely happy with this setup! Thanks for the information. Now I have the winter to decide what to do.
There are so many choices of slip-ons.

There is usually 1 or more of the 3 variables that are important in making a decision on which to get-

1. Looks
2. Sound
3. Performance

Every aftermarket slip-on we've tested performs better with the patented Thunder Torque Inserts in them...which is surprising, because we've tested some high dollar performance set-ups.

So if you find one that you like the looks and sound of, you can add the TTI's and get a nice bump in power.

Even more surprising is that, across the board, the best performing slip-on (except the E-Series/Super Trapp Disc style) is the Stock Slip-on gutted, with some TTI's installed.

The stock modified, while the best performing slip-on (except for the disc style) is also Loud!

But if you like loud, and want the best performance, that is the way to go...it is the least expensive too.

Take a listen below, quite a few different configurations to hear-

smurfsdad (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017 | 03:31 PM
smurfsdad
Tourer

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
'09 Heritage. Old subject, I know. Looking at Krome Werks slipons. Sounds like they'd bring the Harley sound back with breaking the neighbors windows. Anybody tried 'em?
As I've said earlier in this thread, I like my original Heritage mufflers but wanted better sound. I sent them to American Customs to be refitted. I can now switch them back and forth from the welded in baffle and the mid range baffles. I haven't been able to ride outside yet due to this Illinois weather, but really like the sound without the mid range baffle. I've also read a lot about DK Custom's Thunder Torques. I like what I read. What I thought would be nice was having the option to use either of the two baffles and also the Thunder Torques. In order to do this I would have to drill out the 1/4" hole provided by American Customs to switch the baffles. I didn't want to drill that out. I like how the bolt head sits flush with the surface of the muffler. I decided to order the Thunder Torques and adapt them. I cut off the threaded rod welded to the TT's and welded on a 1/4" x 20 connector, plus a washer. Now I switch between either of the 3 choices plus a combination. The TT's fit perfectly in the center of the muffler. The whole process was a whole lot cheaper than buying any slip on's.

Attached Thumbnails Slipons for my Heritage-20170201_145948.jpg  
DK Custom (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017 | 06:52 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by smurfsdad
As I've said earlier in this thread, I like my original Heritage mufflers but wanted better sound. I sent them to American Customs to be refitted. I can now switch them back and forth from the welded in baffle and the mid range baffles. I haven't been able to ride outside yet due to this Illinois weather, but really like the sound without the mid range baffle. I've also read a lot about DK Custom's Thunder Torques. I like what I read. What I thought would be nice was having the option to use either of the two baffles and also the Thunder Torques. In order to do this I would have to drill out the 1/4" hole provided by American Customs to switch the baffles. I didn't want to drill that out. I like how the bolt head sits flush with the surface of the muffler. I decided to order the Thunder Torques and adapt them. I cut off the threaded rod welded to the TT's and welded on a 1/4" x 20 connector, plus a washer. Now I switch between either of the 3 choices plus a combination. The TT's fit perfectly in the center of the muffler. The whole process was a whole lot cheaper than buying any slip on's.
Nice mod.

Here's a vid of a guy that combined the TTI's with the American Customs exhaust on a sporty. Sort of long, but interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpyxg2cQZtg

smurfsdad (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017 | 07:52 PM
smurfsdad
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Nice mod.

Here's a vid of a guy that combined the TTI's with the American Customs exhaust on a sporty. Sort of long, but interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpyxg2cQZtg
Thanks for that video link Kevin. That "nut" that you see at 4:15 on the video is just what I was trying to avoid. Thanks for your comment on my post too. I can see
why you folks at DK Custom get so many positive reviews.
By the way, nice Heritage you have. I am 71 years old and had a Softail many years ago. I then went to Street Glides. I just went back to a Heritage three months ago and wonder why I ever left. My wife claims that she is as comfortable on it or more than she was on the Street Glide. I know I am. I never used the radio anyway.

DK Custom (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017 | 03:15 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by smurfsdad
Thanks for that video link Kevin. That "nut" that you see at 4:15 on the video is just what I was trying to avoid. Thanks for your comment on my post too. I can see
why you folks at DK Custom get so many positive reviews.
By the way, nice Heritage you have. I am 71 years old and had a Softail many years ago. I then went to Street Glides. I just went back to a Heritage three months ago and wonder why I ever left. My wife claims that she is as comfortable on it or more than she was on the Street Glide. I know I am. I never used the radio anyway.
Thank you for the kind words.

I'm 13 years behind you...certainly am looking forward to still be riding my Softail then.

My wife and I both agree, we prefer the Heritage ride to a Street Glide, or even an Ultra.

Quick Reply: Slipons for my Heritage