Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout Stage 1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Fraser McKenzie
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Breakout Stage 1 questions

I bought my 2014 fxsb last year from my local Harley dealer.
I was told it had a stage 1 upgrade,I could see it had Vance and Hines slip ons fitted and also the dealer gave me the SEPST box.

So yesterday I was having a look at my bike and stripped off the air filter and noticed it is the standard air filter (not stage 1 upgraded)

I have ordered a performance machine cone filter for it.

My question is, should I buy the SEPST cables and re tune the bike? It's more than likely the dealer has re tuned the bike to stage 1 as it came with the SEPST?

What at would you do ?

Im pretty confident of being able to re flash and record my data by means of recording a test run etx? But is it worth spending money on the cables?

The bike seems to run fine just now,I haven't fitted the new filter yet.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Yes, when you add the high flow a/c you will need to re-tune, and it's not really stage 1 without a high flow a/c.

Last edited by Rocker B; 01-16-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Fraser McKenzie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Yes, when you add the high flow a/c you will need to re-tune, and it's not really stage 1 without it.
I assume the dealer has already re flashed it with a stage 1 otherwise it wouldn't have come with the SEPST?

Old 01-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

But it's not stage 1 with a stock a/c, so why would they do that??? I also don't think it would be running fine on a stage 1 map with a stock a/c....but I guess you can try it first and see what you think, then decide.....I think you'll be re-tuning!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 01-16-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser McKenzie
I assume the dealer has already re flashed it with a stage 1 otherwise it wouldn't have come with the SEPST?
The dealer may have flashed the ECM with a Stage I map but the map will still have the bike running lean since the dealer must adhere to EPA guidelines. When you add a true stage I A/C, your bike will run even more lean by allowing more air in and not more fuel. You will need a new map to enrich the air/fuel ratio (AFR).

By retuning, you will allow the engine to run cooler so the engine oil and exhaust won't get as hot.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Fraser McKenzie
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rocker B
But it's not stage 1 with a stock a/c, so why would they do that??? I also don't think it would be running fine on a stage 1 map with a stock a/c....but I guess you can try it first and see what you think, then decide.....I think you'll be re-tuning!!
i get what you mean but why would the previous owner buy a SEPST and not use it? Seems unlikely?

Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
The dealer may have flashed the ECM with a Stage I map but the map will still have the bike running lean since the dealer must adhere to EPA guidelines. When you add a true stage I A/C, your bike will run even more lean by allowing more air in and not more fuel. You will need a new map to enrich the air/fuel ratio (AFR).

By retuning, you will allow the engine to run cooler so the engine oil and exhaust won't get as hot.
Yep, I agree..

Old 01-16-2017, 06:22 PM
swifty
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 58 Posts

If I remember there are two types of SE tuners a pro and a street. The street tuners only allow for a limited map.. The pro I wonder if HD still sells them? Either Way a dealer is only going to give you a caned bs map. If you have a true pro tuner then get the bike on a dyno for a true stage 1. Or just buy a FP3 tuner since you have V&H pipes the map will be perfect...
I have the FP3 and on my softail I had V&H slipons and the map was spot on! A year later I went with V&H true duals and used the FP3 to reflash again.. Once again very happy with how the bike runs....Just my 2cts swifty

Old 01-16-2017, 08:22 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by swifty
If I remember there are two types of SE tuners a pro and a street. The street tuners only allow for a limited map.. The pro I wonder if HD still sells them? Either Way a dealer is only going to give you a caned bs map. If you have a true pro tuner then get the bike on a dyno for a true stage 1. Or just buy a FP3 tuner since you have V&H pipes the map will be perfect...
I have the FP3 and on my softail I had V&H slipons and the map was spot on! A year later I went with V&H true duals and used the FP3 to reflash again.. Once again very happy with how the bike runs....Just my 2cts swifty
Agreed.. FP3 or PowerVision is the way to go on tuning. The only tuners HD can sell adhere to EPA. Don't waste your money.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser McKenzie
i get what you mean but why would the previous owner buy a SEPST and not use it? Seems unlikely?
It doesn't matter why the previous owner did what they did. You own it now. So, figure out how to use the SEPST or do as swifty recommended and purchase a V&H FuelPak (FP3) in it's place.

Let me get you started: SEPST User Manual

Welcome to the forum from central Texas, USA, Fraser. Congrats on your new BO. Ride safe and keep the rubber side down.

Boog

ETA: I just realized you are in the UK. When I mention the EPA, I am referring to the UK analog of the US Environmental Protection Agency.

Quick Reply: Breakout Stage 1 questions