Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail touring with sampson cholos? anyone doing it??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017 | 08:05 AM
sno-man
|
Cruiser
Default softail touring with sampson cholos? anyone doing it??

Hi, I love the look of the Sampson cholos 33 36s been reading tons of threads on how they sound, but I know they are loud but I want to know how are they at cruising speed? 60 or 70 mph? are they humming pretty good, where after a couple hundred miles you need to where ear plugs? I have a 13 heritage with krome werks slip ons and after 100 miles or so I need some plugs in my ears to much humming for me....just wondering how the long cholos are for humming @ cruising speeds, I rode a 08 RK awhile ago with VH true duals and it was perfect, loud at lowspeed and barley hear at cruising speed. on the RK the pipes extend past the fender alittle. just wanted to get some reviews before I pulled trigger on them. thanks

Old 01-15-2017 | 10:36 AM
cobalt07
Road Master

Take it from an old guy, you should be wearing some type of plug nearly all the time with loud pipes or you will spend a lot of your time soon enough repeating the sentence, WHAT DID YOU SAY !! It isn't just the pipes but the wind noise rushing past your ears. There are many types of plugs that filter out a lot or little noise that you can get used to in a few days. Noise causes fatigue weather you realize it or not.You will be able to ride all day with plugs without that pounding in your head.

The following users liked this post:
ILMFBL (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017 | 03:31 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

I have toured across the country with my Samson 33" fishtails. I always ride with earplugs - you'll need them.

The only time(s) I regretted the sound level of the pipes was when I was riding through Yellowstone (because i was scaring the animals and making the other tourists stare with anger) and when riding into camp at night and waking everyone up.

Other than that, touring with them was no problem.

Ride Safe!

Old 01-15-2017 | 04:35 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior

What Cobalt said, from another old guy. 40+ years of riding and could barely hear what you wrote. Only started wearing ear plugs a few years back but what a dif. Listen to your elders!

Old 01-15-2017 | 06:22 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I ride all day long with my Samson Fishtails. I have the baffles removed and Thunder Torque Inserts installed. It is probably about the same decibel rating, but a little deeper tone.

They are pretty loud...just right for me. I do not use ear plugs, but I do wear a modular helmet. Does not bother me at all at 58 yo.

However, on all day rides my wife does wear ear plugs, along with her modular helmet...if she doesn't wear them, she will get ringing...but she is closer to the exhaust than I am.

Here's a listen to them compared to some other exhausts.

Last edited by DK Custom; 01-15-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2017 | 08:29 PM
Sharkenator
Cruiser

I tour with my 33" long Samson's and they can get annoying during highway riding. I usually wear ear plugs and it really helps. The wind can damage your hearing too. Even if I had a stock exhaust I would still wear the ear plugs. Construction work for the last 25+ years has not been kind to my hearing.

Dennis

Old 01-16-2017 | 07:20 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

I've done a few long rides with my cholos. Love the sound

If you think sound is an issue, either put in some baffles, or use disposable ear plugs.

Old 01-19-2017 | 07:44 PM
Jimmy55TX
Cruiser

Touring and Cholos? Do the 2 even relate?

Old 01-19-2017 | 10:26 PM
rquest
Road Master

Originally Posted by hspring03
I've done a few long rides with my cholos. Love the sound

If you think sound is an issue, either put in some baffles, or use disposable ear plugs.

How can you even hear them when they are 5 feet behind you?

Old 01-20-2017 | 06:38 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rquest
How can you even hear them when they are 5 feet behind you?
With just a lollipop/ no baffles, you can hear them plenty

Quick Reply: softail touring with sampson cholos? anyone doing it??