Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Buccodon
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlebags?

Hi Folks!
Have an 06 Softail Deluxe, with the Shotgun pipes. I know I'm kinda restricted on the size of saddlebags I can buy, as long as I keep the exhaust the way it is. The bags that go with the Deluxe don't look very big - I mean, they don't look like they'd hold much cargo - and at $750++ I'd like more bang for my buck. Are the saddlebags made for, say, the Fatboy, interchangeable with the Deluxe? I'm nw to Harleys, and love riding my bike - just want to make an educatde purchase based on my needs. Bought the detachable Tour Pak - it holds my computer when I ride to work. Hope to hear some great comments on buying my saddlebags! Thanks for listening! PS - any great discount Harley sites I could buy accessories? IS there such a thing as Discount & Harley mentioned in the same breath??!!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Saddlebags?

I had factory bags on my FXST. The biggest problem with the factory bags is (not the size) but the plastic mold for the bags. If there is no Ice/salt I'll try to extend the riding season. The coldest I rode was (-6 w/o wind chill) if you pack the bags I developed a crack due to the cold. I have seen other factory bags develop cracks after years of use.

I had a local leatherworker make custom bags to match my seat. She had a spring steel frame which was then covered in leather.

Try Boss bags heard good thing about them http://www.bossbags.com/Yes they are pricey but compared to factory bags not bad. It laso tell you where the pipes would fit the bags

Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 AM
jbroughton
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For bags, check out www.ospreylimited.com. He'll make them as plain or fancy as you want, includes the detachable brackets. Mine came in right at $500, including the brackets. I love 'em!

For parts, try www.zanottimotor.com. They're a HD dealer, and offer great discounts for internet orders.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:01 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The HD bags that match the seat are expensive and small, but they do look great and are leather. So with good care and conditioning, should not crack or split like the vinyl and plastic may.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:49 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Boss Bags --
http://www.bossbags.com/34s.html

scroll down to the 34s which fit stock pipes...
the 36 and bigger need a lower pipe than stock..

they have deluxe styleing or plain or fatboy styleing too...and some others

Old 05-30-2007, 03:00 PM
baglady
Novice

I have the Boss 34 D's they match the stock seat and i have stock exhaust...they hold alot of stuff....

[IMG]local://upfiles/28975/D2CD4F43762B45F291FBBF293AC75369.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2007, 03:25 PM
fxst00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://leatherneckjim.safeshopper.com/

I bought mine from here and couldn't be happier. All said and done with ez brackets under 500 dollars shippedand are nice bags. Mine aare the Larado classic leather bags with teh quick disconnect ez brackets.
Jeff

Old 05-30-2007, 05:15 PM
BarryN
Tourer

The bags that go with the Deluxe don't look very big - I mean, they don't look like they'd hold much cargo
Like you said, not much room for stuff but they do look good. They also are not water tight!!

Old 05-30-2007, 05:18 PM
DLX
Intermediate

Buccodon:

I understand your dilemma. I bought a '05 Deluxe w/ the stock bags and you are right they are very small. i just sold them and bought a set of bags from LeatherPros that match the basket weave pattern perfectly. Plus they have a quick disconnect with them as well.

They are money!!! Here is the link. By the way the Zanotti's site someone mentioned above is very good as far as discounts as well.

http://www.leatherpros.com/website1.htm

Hope it helps.

DW

Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Softail in 2007
Cruiser

http://www.ironbags.com/The best, I believe the last saddlebag I will have to buy !! really thick with a fiberglass back !!

[IMG]local://upfiles/11433/B54F764DFAF744FDA0CCBDE4E6991425.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Saddlebags?