Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about gyro effect w/ 23" wheel on Breakout/Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:24 AM
v-rodder
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Curious about gyro effect w/ 23" wheel on Breakout/Rockers

Looking at doing a 23" front wheel with 5 degree raked trees on my rocker. Just curious about how bad the gyro effect is vs a 21". This bike will be ridden, so I don't want to ruin the rideability.

Thanks! Jim

Old 01-09-2017, 12:09 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 1,083 Posts

You're not going to feel any gyro-effect as you call it but you will upset the overall balance and handling characteristics a bit by effectively moving the center of gravity upward unless you lower the front end by an inch to keep the bikes factory geometry correct.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:46 AM
v-rodder
Road Captain

Well the gyro effect is when it becomes difficult to change a spinning object's axis of rotation. Larger wheels mean more effort to change direction. I have read where it's an issue with 26" and 30" wheels. Just curious as to how noticeable it is with the 23's.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:40 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,843 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Like I stated before, you're not going to feel anything difference while running a 23" wheel as compared to a 21" wheel. It all comes down to the rotating mass and at speed you'll be shifting your weight and leaning on your handlebars and counter steering to get where you need to go. There's gonna be no discernible difference for you to notice.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:58 AM
v-rodder
Road Captain

Cool beans! That's good news to hear. Thank you for the feedback!

Jim

Old 01-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

just depends on what you think is a good handling bike...the rocker & breakout are doomed from birth...coming from road racing and mx racing..i think these bikes are horrible in handling & performance but thats not what i bought a harley for..got other bikes to be a hoodlum on...ive ridden my buddies bo with 23 and actually thought it handled better than mine..tho i have the shitty stock tires still so he said that was the main thing that had to go...i think he weighed his new wheel n tire compared to stock setup and it was a 3.2 difference so theres some less rotating mass for ya...this pict is the best handling front end id ever been on...superlight & super$$$..lol

Attached Thumbnails Curious about gyro effect w/ 23" wheel on Breakout/Rockers-new-hyper-i-phone-016.jpg   Curious about gyro effect w/ 23" wheel on Breakout/Rockers-new-hyper-i-phone-007.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
FastHarley (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 07:06 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Da-Rza 21 How can you say that. It has those ugly Brembo_calipers and what is the deal with the wires? Than you have those 17" C/F wheels that do not look good because they are not made of Billet & chrome. You need to take off one of those rotors so you can see the new Billet 30" wheel, maybe with LEDs for spinners. Than you have those Fugly black 8 oz fender and what is up with those 17" tires, who needs them anyhow, they do not even come in white walls.

A bike that changes suspension settings as it rides via computer & engine called >Mechatronics< is a big waste of money as that money could be better put to use buying more novelty helmets, doo rags, chained wallets, a vest with patches & pins to prove you have been there. The forks look ugly because they are not chromed, raked way out, and cost way too much. I will stop right there and say you really need to get rid of that Jap Crap, let me give you the address for free disposal.

DISCLAIMER: If anyone knows me, do not take this post seriously, I am doing it for humor.

Last edited by FastHarley; 01-11-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:24 PM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by v-rodder
Looking at doing a 23" front wheel with 5 degree raked trees on my rocker. Just curious about how bad the gyro effect is vs a 21". This bike will be ridden, so I don't want to ruin the rideability.

Thanks! Jim
On my Rocker, I did 6degree trees, -1 tubes and the progressive drop kit with my 26 and it rides better that my 21 did.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
.... you will upset the overall balance and handling characteristics a bit by effectively moving the center of gravity upward unless you lower the front end by an inch to keep the bikes factory geometry correct.

I went through this when I went from a 17' to 21" on the front of my Fat Boy Lo. 140/70/21 to be exact. which is just a bit larger in diameter than low profile 23" tires. I measured from the floor to the top of my neck before I started and got it as close as I could when finished with 1" shorter tubes and 2" of lowering springs. Measured everything up and I lost about an inch and a half in my trail number but was still well within the acceptable 4"-6" standard. Bike handles just fine, I actually like the way the front end feels better than original. Had it up over 95 mph a handful of times and no signs of wobble at all.

OP, do your home work, just don't throw some parts at your bike and hope for the best. Take front ends mods very seriously.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:51 AM
v-rodder
Road Captain

Thanks for the info and the solid advise. Working with Rich at Bitchinseats now. Looks like a 23" with his 5 degree trees will be a very solid upgrade.

Quick Reply: Curious about gyro effect w/ 23" wheel on Breakout/Rockers