Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting prob:relay? Whole bike dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017 | 07:11 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer

The dealers generally want to sell you a new switch, which also means getting it keyed to match your key set. Does not hurt to clean the contacts and add a little die electric grease.

Old 01-15-2017 | 07:47 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Conga
So I started to take the ignition switch out to clean it and check its condition. Disconnected the battery ground per instructions (thanks tmilo) But I couldn't see anything obviously wrong with it, so before I messed it up anymore, I put the ground wire backon the battery and, just for grit-and-shins, turned the switch. Poof, everything came back to life.

I put the dash back together and hit the start switch. Vroom. Bike started up, but things are still not quite right. Check engine light is on intermittently. Bike cuts out here and there, especially when revved. When revved, the headlight, instead of it staying the same or getting brighter, it dimmed slightly. I'm going to run it out to a local shop in the morning, but any ideas you might have might be helpful. Thanks again for all your ideas and support!
My bike did same. Pull switch and clean the contacts with very fine sand paper and then put a little dab of contact grease on the contacts. Mine has worked for years now.

Or you could replace the switch. J&P Cycles has them for a fraction of what Harley charges.

Ah, just noticed Tmilo said same thing, lol.

Old 01-15-2017 | 10:20 PM
Conga
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HDmikie
My bike did same. Pull switch and clean the contacts with very fine sand paper and then put a little dab of contact grease on the contacts. Mine has worked for years now.

Or you could replace the switch. J&P Cycles has them for a fraction of what Harley charges.

Ah, just noticed Tmilo said same thing, lol.
Yeah, looks like J&P has nice new ones, with keys for $35, or with fork lock and keys for 59....

Old 01-16-2017 | 01:09 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain

I got a new switch for mine and couldn't be bothered waiting to get it keyed alike, so I just use two keys. It doesn't bother me anymore, I just engraved an 'I' on the ignition key to tell them apart.