Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding sound in primary

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 02:23 PM
cencal
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding sound in primary

2003 FXst that I just got. I have rode the bike around a bit albeit not much but never had this sound. Today I get on to go for a ride and I have this deep grinding/rubbing/rattlng sound that appears to be coming from the primary case. Going to chase it with some socket extension to the ear to try to pin point but i am pretty sure that is where its coming from

I changed the oil out in there to Redline syn but that is it.

6600 miles on it.

I think that I going to pull the primary cover off and see if there is anything obvious in there looking at me when I get it off. I have read that maybe the compensator nut came loose??? Never worked on a harley before not ever looked inside a primary area but I am fairly mechanically inclined in other areas.

On question that i have, is it ok to run the bike on a stand with the cover removed?

Old 01-05-2017, 02:27 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,331 Likes on 3,182 Posts

Any residual oil will fly everywhere. But yes, for a while. Think of it as an open primary.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:59 PM
cencal
Intermediate

Well, this little guy was loose. Like not even moderate finger tight loose.

Don't know how that would happen but according to what I can find it looks like 165pds on it and i will gob on some red loctite.

Hopefully, this will not happen again.

Attached Thumbnails Grinding sound in primary-20170105_125600.jpg  
Old 01-05-2017, 03:14 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by cencal
Well, this little guy was loose. Like not even moderate finger tight loose.

Don't know how that would happen but according to what I can find it looks like 165pds on it and i will gob on some red loctite.

Hopefully, this will not happen again.
I was just going to say, check the compensator sprocket and make sure it hasn't come loose.
You already know what to do. Red loctite, torque to spec, button her back up and go ride. Hopefully, that all that's wrong.

Good luck.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:30 PM
cencal
Intermediate

I am certainly hoping that is the case.

SO this is my maiden voyage into the case and of course I had to push and pull stuff. I pulled his friend off here in the pic and now I am not sure that it has to go back on in the orientation that is came off.......which of course I didn't mark.

Only seems to go two ways and seat all the way so I guess I have a 50-50 chance.

I looked through the manual but couldn't see where it says it has to go in a certain way. I also do not see any matchmarks anywhere.

Also, holy captain giant bolthead!! Of course, I do not have anywhere near a socket this large. What the hell size is this thing anyway. Gonna have to make a trip to the store now.

Attached Thumbnails Grinding sound in primary-20170105_132359.jpg  
Old 01-05-2017, 03:34 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

I am certainly hoping that is the case.

SO this is my maiden voyage into the case and of course I had to push and pull stuff. I pulled his friend off here in the pic and now I am not sure that it has to go back on in the orientation that is came off.......which of course I didn't mark.

Only seems to go two ways and seat all the way so I guess I have a 50-50 chance.

I looked through the manual but couldn't see where it says it has to go in a certain way. I also do not see any matchmarks anywhere.

Also, holy captain giant bolthead!! Of course, I do not have anywhere near a socket this large. What the hell size is this thing anyway. Gonna have to make a trip to the store now.
The part in your pic is the compensator sprocket. I don't believe it goes on any certain way. I think the bolt is a 1 13/16, but I could be wrong. Funny thing is, I just had the whole primary apart on my bike not too long ago(had to replace a rotor and stator) and I don't remember what size the head of the bolt is. Do you have a service manual? If not, go purchase one. It's one of the best investments you can make if you wrench on your own bike.

EDIT: Buy the HD service manual. Don't buy a Haynes manual. They're worthless.

Last edited by ElectraJim; 01-05-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:02 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,438 Posts

What you have on your hand is the other half of the compensator.......it goes in with the ramps first....just like you have it in your hands, push it right on, then the bolt.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 814 Posts

I had the nut back off on Reaper a few years ago. It wound up trashing a bunch of parts in the primary!

There's an updated torquing method for your compensator nut. Here's the service bulletin:

CompensatorNut.pdf

Cheers!

Old 01-05-2017, 04:27 PM
cencal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ElectraJim
The part in your pic is the compensator sprocket. I don't believe it goes on any certain way. I think the bolt is a 1 13/16, but I could be wrong. Funny thing is, I just had the whole primary apart on my bike not too long ago(had to replace a rotor and stator) and I don't remember what size the head of the bolt is. Do you have a service manual? If not, go purchase one. It's one of the best investments you can make if you wrench on your own bike.

EDIT: Buy the HD service manual. Don't buy a Haynes manual. They're worthless.
i do have a pdf manual that I found online. I ended up getting a socket. 1 1/2" for future searchers.

now I have to figure a way to hold it while i torque. I assume there is some special tool which of course I do not have either.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 814 Posts

i do have a pdf manual that I found online. I ended up getting a socket. 1 1/2" for future searchers.

now I have to figure a way to hold it while i torque. I assume there is some special tool which of course I do not have either.
You'll need this (it goes between the sprocket and the chain):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...1WWdpl&vxp=mtr

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Grinding sound in primary