Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glad I didnt listen

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 567 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Glad I didnt listen

Well....Ill try & keep it short, bought my 02 heritage in 2014 with 9800 miles on her, knew the owner & after a divorce he just needed to sell. so, in July of this year while at my local dealer getting an inspection done I ask about Cam chain tensioners.

the bike has just north of 16,000 miles so I'm thinking an inspection? well the counter person brings out the guru of cam installs & he begins to tell me, "you`re wasting your money", "not even broke in yet", "don't believe all the online BS", "that bikes an infant - just ride it"

So, I'm thinking maybe I'm prematurely worrying about nothing, you hear these things going at all different mileages & such...... Well this past week end I was bored & here in western Pa its kinda crappy out (10deg now) so I decide to inspect the tensioners with hope that their ok.

Front chain tensioner was worn so bad that the rivets on the side of the chain were actually wearing on the ridges the chain had made, My 75 year old dad stops in to check it out (cause this is what gear head dads do & having owned Harley`s he wanted to see what the moco did different from the pan head years) & as he`s looking at the tensioner he rubs his thumb on the outer ridge & broke the ridge off.

He looked at me & said what the F@#$ kind of a system is this? I laugh, we have a beer & I'm back to wrenching, inner tensioner was worn but no where near the outer one. Taking that tensioner to the dealer tomorrow & gonna ask for the arrogant, cocky cam guy to tell me what happened after all its in its infancy right?

On the positive side I anticipated the worst & now I am in cam chest upgrade mode - So anyone with a TC 88 if you`re on the fence with inspecting these things this might nudge you to do so this winter.

As a side note: I thought they put the Timken inner cam bearings in 02`s? mine had the INA bearings - glad I caught this disaster before it happened!

Ride safe all

The following 3 users liked this post by LXT:
0488FB (12-22-2016), drifterawh (01-01-2017), Johnny Goodlife (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

It's a dang good thing you didn't listen!
When I bought my Deluxe, it had 42,000 miles and I inspected tensioners a couple thousand miles later. They were good. Really good. I assumed they were probably replaced fairly recently. Fast forward 12,000 miles and another inspection. Still good, but not as good. I decided to change 'em out so as not to worry. Well, one thing leads to another, and the next thing ya know, I'm putting gear drive cams in it.

"One less thing to worry about" I convince my self. Along with that came new lifters, adjustable pushrods, rocker lockers, inner and outer cam bearings, a valve job on the heads....

So it's all done now. It's got a pleasant whine from the gear drive, and a lot of the top end noise I had before is reduced.

At this point tho, I'm kinda wishing I just woulda changed the tensioner shoes and left the stock cams in place, as I'm now trying to find a decent tune. When it runs really good, it's getting quite a bit less fuel mileage than before. (of course that might be due to cranking the right grip a bit more too!)

It'll get sorted. A lot of time before spring to "git 'er done."

Old 12-15-2016, 05:03 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Upgrade to a fueling kit and convert it over to the new style. If you have the funds def throw some cams in there as well.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,073 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
As a side note: I thought they put the Timken inner cam bearings in 02`s? mine had the INA bearings - glad I caught this disaster before it happened!

Ride safe all
2002 has a Timken CRANK bearing on the left side. Not cam bearings, inner or outer. You need B148 inner bearings and Cyco shoes. If the oil pump isn't hurt I wouldn't change that either.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:11 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 567 Likes on 346 Posts

ah its the crank bearing that's Timken, how nice use a quality part in one area & junk INA bearings in another - mix n match.

yeah I'm going with the torringtons, all is good with the pump as I caught it before anything went sour. going with the roller chain conversion set up by woods, woods lifters, woods cams & fuelmoto adjustable push rods.

I plan on keeping the bike for a while so I figure ill do it up right, nothing drastic cam wise just a little bump from stock. be interesting to see what the Dealer Cam Tech says when I show him the tensioner, If I would of got a 100 miles out of that tensioner id be lucky & to know it was like that I wouldn't even ride it.

But on the positive - caught it, will fix it & enjoy riding it!

Old 12-16-2016, 02:58 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 29,534 Likes on 9,784 Posts

Did the gear/cam conversion on my 2000 FXSTS. Running the Andrews 26... love it. If you hadn't ridden it before the swap, you'd never know it was there. Set up the way the factory should have done it

Old 12-16-2016, 04:44 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,369 Likes on 971 Posts

I did the Harley screaming eagle cam plate upgrade with Comp cams Vthunder lifters, Andrews 48H cams..Harley pushrods and a PC# USB tuner ny fuel Moto with their map in it on my 05 fatboy and the bike runs like an ape!! I changed everything out at 14000 miles didn't really need it but I wanted to be safe from the exploding cam chest

Old 12-16-2016, 04:45 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,014 Likes on 656 Posts

Yea, that was the one weak point in the TC88. If I ever own another, checking the cam tensioners and spending the money on the conversion will be the first thing I do.

Other than that, it's a helluva great motor! I loved mine, enjoy it!

Old 12-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 160 Posts

I can relate...I have a dealer near me that I went to about cam chain tensioner problems and when I mentioned that they had a "problem" with them (my inner and outer were shot at 21,000 mi.), the counter guy (who's been there for years) says "Wow! Really?! I've never heard of an issue like that!" He was dead serious. I also mentioned the inner bearing issue, the front brake caliper piston sticking problem and the ignition switch connector problem and he said he'd never heard any of that either. Do ya think they're just trying to not admit anything or is this guy just that clueless?

Old 12-17-2016, 11:37 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
When it runs really good, it's getting quite a bit less fuel mileage than before. (of course that might be due to cranking the right grip a bit more too!)
What cams did you put in? I'm throwing Andrews 21's in mine, wondering if/how the lineage will be effected.

Quick Reply: Glad I didnt listen