Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim Owners - Happy or Disappointed???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016 | 01:07 PM
jrporter
|
Advanced
Default Softail Slim Owners - Happy or Disappointed???

I've been riding motorcycles since the late 60s with my most recent bikes being an '07 Road King Classic and a '13 Electra Glide. For the mostly back road riding I enjoy, the Electra Glide was just too much bike so I'm considering a Softail Slim. I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who have owned Softail Slims as to your joys and dissatisfaction with this model. For that matter, I'd like to hear from those of you who have downsized. Thanks...

The following users liked this post:
Rooster Ron (02-27-2021)
Old 12-12-2016 | 02:52 PM
rowan
Road Master
Thumbs up

Slim owner here, I have not down sized but have been through a few different models, (sportster, lowrider, crossbones and an evo softail custom)The FLS is a great riding bike! My thoughts on disadvantages Factory seat needs replacing or modifying! And the slim does not lend itself well to proper astetics with saddle bags. If you ride real aggressively you may end up dragging the floorboards Other then that great bike.
Of the bikes I've owned my 98 FXSTC is missed the most.

The following 2 users liked this post by rowan:
jrporter (12-13-2016), SJC69 (02-16-2021)
Old 12-12-2016 | 02:57 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior

I have a '17 FLS that I bought maybe 10-12 weeks ago, and I love it. (For the record, I upgraded from a Sportster 48.)

I'm 5'7", 152 lbs, and I have a bad back. The Slim is super comfortable for me; I didn't have to adjust a thing. Well, that's not entirely true. I removed the heel shifter because I found it hard to put my foot squarely in the footboard with it on there). The only thing I wish is that there was an option for the exact same stock seat, only in leather. It seems like a lot of people do not like the stock seat, but I like it a lot.

The only complaint I have is that my bike does run a bit hot. I live in a big city with a lot of lights and stop signs, and the summers get very hot and humid here. I bought a V&H FP3 tuner and flashed the map they have for an all-stock FLS, and it did seem to help a bit. I am going to install new slip on mufflers / full Stage 1 upgrade at its first service, and I am going to put synth in the bike at that time.

Other than that, it's prob the most perfect bike for me that HD makes at this time.

jrporter (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016 | 03:37 PM
jrporter
|
Advanced

I'm 66 and definitely not an aggressive motorcycle rider, especially since having had very close encounters with a deer and a bear on my back road sojourns here in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I really just want a comfortable cruiser, and with a bad back, I just can't lift my leg as high over a saddle as I used to...

Old 12-12-2016 | 03:53 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior

My last Harley before this Slim was a 2015 Road Glide. Was a fantastic bike but I have gout and had to let it go. My current Slim is a great bike and even when my feet are hurting, no problem. I'm no spring chicken either. It was a good change for my situation.

jrporter (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016 | 04:16 PM
jackafrica
Tourer

Riding for a similar time, probably similar ages.
Getting weak in the hands, legs and feet damaged, arthritic.
A Road King was just too much to manoeuvre and handle comfortably.

Slim is great, removed the footboards and have forward controls to ease legs.
Runs standard length rear shocks and 2" over front tubes to help handling and increase ground clearance to Road King levels. Change the seat.

One year in with 10,000+ miles, works really well.

I appreciate the lighter weight in every situation and the handling is sharp.
Very happy.

Last edited by jackafrica; 12-12-2016 at 04:20 PM. Reason: forgot the happy bit.
The following 2 users liked this post by jackafrica:
jrporter (12-13-2016), Rooster Ron (02-27-2021)
Old 12-12-2016 | 05:55 PM
rowan
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jrporter
I've been riding motorcycles since the late 60s with my most recent bikes being an '07 Road King Classic and a '13 Electra Glide. For the mostly back road riding I enjoy, the Electra Glide was just too much bike so I'm considering a Softail Slim. I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who have owned Softail Slims as to your joys and dissatisfaction with this model. For that matter, I'd like to hear from those of you who have downsized. Thanks...
Happy with the Slim!

jrporter (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016 | 06:04 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain

Had the Slim two years and 15,000 plus miles. Did Missouri to Maine last year and love the bike.
As stated earlier the stock seat has to go, I put on a Mustang seat with back rest and have no issue doing 500 plus miles a day.
Oh 62 years old

jrporter (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016 | 09:23 PM
KYfishtail
Cruiser

I bought a new Slim in 14 and now have 21K on it. I bought it because at 5'2" and a 27" inseam I was uncomfortable with a touring bike. But I like to tour, and the Slim fits me perfectly. You have to be creative to tour with a Silm, but I manage. Removable windshield, luggage rack and sissybar, and I can set up the bike to go anywhere.

Almost everybody replaces the stock seat. The stock seat sucks. You may also want to invest in taller, Heritage style handlebars. Outside of that, the bike is pretty much a clean slate you can do what you want with. I like my bikes zen, with what I need, and nothing I don't, and the Slim is just that.

Another thing that takes some getting used to is dragging the floor boards. Dynas and tourers are better in the twisties. It handles fine, there just isn't much lean angle because of the floorboards.

The Slim works for me. Good luck with whatever you get.

jrporter (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016 | 11:53 PM
misterslim
Advanced

Traded my Sporty for a Slim in 2015 and am very happy with it. I am 68 , 5'-7" and have a bad back. The Slim treats me well and is an absolute joy riding in town or cruising the back country roads. It is a very easy bike and I don't ride too aggressively so the low height and floor boards are not an issue. Like most have said, the stock seat had to go. The Slim is a great bike!

jrporter (12-13-2016)

Quick Reply: Softail Slim Owners - Happy or Disappointed???