Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim Owners - Happy or Disappointed???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016 | 05:49 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bamjoop
Thank you. I laid in the dirt waiting for 30 minutes for the sun to hit just right to get that pic. It is just the factory bag. I bought it used of ebay. It is kind of a love hate deal with that bag. I love the overall appearance and size because it fits the bike so well, but the bag itself is just not on par with some of the similarly priced offerings out there in my opinion.
I like how it doesn't detract from the Slim's minimalist, almost bobbed effect. Yet is seems large enough to stuff enough for an overnight run.
Is it strapped, or hard mounted?

Old 12-19-2016 | 02:36 PM
Bamjoop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I like how it doesn't detract from the Slim's minimalist, almost bobbed effect. Yet is seems large enough to stuff enough for an overnight run.
Is it strapped, or hard mounted?
Currently mounts with straps, but honestly they work very well. I had the intention to immediately make a rigid mount setup for it but the straps work so well that I have put it off.

Old 12-27-2016 | 07:12 AM
Axis39
Road Captain

Sorry, late to report in... Haven't been online in a while.

I have been riding since the 80's... Ridden couple Shovelheads and an Evo FXR. My last bike was a Shovel FLT that had been Roadking'd. I loved that bike. But, needed something more reliable (too many parts were failing from age and fatigue).

I wanted something more bar hopper style. Something 'slimmed' down. Enter my used '14 Slim last Spring. I absolutely love it. It is a very different ride than my old Shovel touring bike. A heck of a lot faster! Not as nimble at slow speeds, but very pleasant the second you get a touch of rolling speed under it.

The only thing I really miss is a touch of storage here and there (a place to stick a rain jacket might be nice). I got a toolbox for Christmas, so that'll help a touch. Maybe a swingarm bag this coming Spring?

I thought long and hard about a Deluxe or a Heritage. It was close, but the Slim was a such a good deal. It had upgrades I would have made to the other bikes that far surpassed the cost of saddlebags. If they had been new bikes, it would have been tougher decision, I think.

I'm 5'10" and about 210. The stock seat works for me so far. I have dragged the boards a few times... But, I did that on my FLT too (It was a little lowered). I'm used to it with floorboards...

All in all, I really love my Slim. Glad I went with it!

Old 01-05-2017 | 08:17 PM
collopyba
Novice

I've been riding most of my life, some 30+ years. I bought the Slim in July on a whim. I fell in love with them when they came out, but couldn't justify another bike (I already had 2). With a milestone birthday coming up, my husband said if you want it, you should just buy it. I contemplated for weeks and finally did it.

I was riding a 2008 FLHX and had been for many years, well, up until I got the Slim. I rode the new bike everyday for over a month until it had to go in for service. I took the Street Glide out for a ride and on the lift up off the stand, I knew that this would be my last time. I made it to the first stop, looked at my husband and said if you want the Street Glide, it's yours. I'm done with it and would much prefer the Slim. I rode the bike for the rest of the day and when we arrived home, I handed him the keys. He moved from a 2006 FLHTPI and couldn't be happier with my hand me down. For him, this was an huge upgrade to a 6 speed transmission, 6 gallon tank, ABS, a kick *** stereo (I had done a ton of work to mine) and accessories galore.

The Slim is a much better bike for me. The lower seat height, the 100+ fewer pounds and the shorter length makes riding it simple. The Street Glide was a good bike and it did everything I wanted but the Slim fits like glove.

The only thing I miss is the stereo (but i have that covered w/ a new setup) and the storage space. If I need to carry anything, my husband gets to carry it on the Street Glide. If I ever go back to a bagger in the future, it will be a Trike.

I have no regrets in moving to the Slim. None!

Old 01-06-2017 | 09:02 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jrporter
I'm 66 and definitely not an aggressive motorcycle rider, especially since having had very close encounters with a deer and a bear on my back road sojourns here in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I really just want a comfortable cruiser, and with a bad back, I just can't lift my leg as high over a saddle as I used to...
You might want to consider the Fat Boy S. It is low as well, might offer more comfort.

I went back and forth trying to decide between the two. At the end, the color of the SlimS in that green just made me buy it. But if I had let my brain decide, I would be on the Fat Boy S.

I do not regret the decision, but I have to be honest, I still look at the Fat Boy S when I stop by the dealer.

Old 01-06-2017 | 09:07 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HD_fan
The LA chopper slim long board or the HD Defiance or Defiant slim floor board will solve this. It did mine...seriously. I'm not sure where in california you are from but I ride hwy84, 35 also Kings Road. With my LA Chopper board I can get very low (close to draggin knee) before I even hit anything and I'm not talking about the floor boards either.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/l...rley-1986-2016

The boards are adjustable forward/back/in/out. On this pic I you can see how much narrower they are. I have it adjusted tucked closest to the bike.

Another view
Crap! I said I was done with mine!!!

With the LA Chopper's I would have to get them powder coated black...

HD's

Name:  Floorboard_zpsgqq3jume.jpg
Views: 2877
Size:  375.9 KB

Now searching for those floorboards and to decide on which one to go with... #@$%#@$%

Last edited by wachuko; 01-06-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-15-2020 | 05:14 PM
Rooster Ron
Novice
Default Sexy Slim !

I love my Slim .
I think this is the Sexest bike Harley Davidson The Motor Company has put out in Many years .
Love the 103 engine with the 6 speed trans .
Added some S&S Cams with some Vancenhines Pipes and Air Cleaner Kit with a FPS Tuner ,
Danny Gray Solo Seat and P-Pad , Frame bag and quick detach windsheld .
This is everything you need and nothing you dont .
Rooster

Old 02-10-2021 | 11:08 AM
Douglas McPhail
3rd Gear

I recently purchased a 2020 Slim and I like the looks of your Windshield, would you be able to provide me full details of same. Thanks

Old 02-12-2021 | 07:48 PM
TOTLKOS
Tourer

I bought my Slim S new in '17 and in late '19 I had the Stage IV 117kit installed. Zero regrets with the bike. Fits like a glove and super fun to ride. With just over 10k mi on it now I'm looking for a 124 kit when I get tired of the 117...............I have detachable LeatherPro saddle bags as well. Great investment I must say. Oh yeah, I'm 57 5'7 so it's perfect.

The following users liked this post:
JakeC7R (02-13-2021)
Old 02-13-2021 | 04:44 AM
Douglas McPhail
3rd Gear

I like the looks of your windshield, would you be able to provide me details of the windshield plus the manufacture of same
Thank you

Quick Reply: Softail Slim Owners - Happy or Disappointed???