Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Slim Owners - Happy or Disappointed???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016 | 02:16 PM
BM05FLHT
Road Master

Through a few turn of events I ended up without my Ultra and with my sons Slim, I changed the seat and love it, completely different riding position/ feel. with that said I would not try to tour on it (6-2/ 270) but it works perfect for following the wife around on her Fatboy Lo for 1-2 hour rides

The following users liked this post:
jrporter (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016 | 02:27 PM
jrporter
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by BM05FLHT
Through a few turn of events I ended up without my Ultra and with my sons Slim, I changed the seat and love it, completely different riding position/ feel. with that said I would not try to tour on it (6-2/ 270) but it works perfect for following the wife around on her Fatboy Lo for 1-2 hour rides
Nice Challenger and Slim. Is that a Crossbones saddle???

Old 12-14-2016 | 02:35 PM
BM05FLHT
Road Master

Originally Posted by jrporter
Nice Challenger and Slim. Is that a Crossbones saddle???
Thanks and yes it is, the cover doesn't fit quite right (Crossbones had wide rear fender I assume) but isn't bad, figured that could be a fabrication project for a new cover sometime in the future.

Old 12-15-2016 | 08:42 AM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bamjoop
It is just the stock pillion. The PO had added a ton of extra foam so it looked like a loaf of bread. All I did was pull the cover and shave it as thin as I could and recovered with the factory cover.

Awesome...thanks!!!!! I thought it looked stock (the stitching).....I've looked everywhere and couldn't find anything similar to the stock stitching. My daughter complains now that the pad is too hard.....she's the boss. Guess I'll have to pull it off and replace the padding with something slimmer and softer.....what kind of strap are you using for that blanket on the front? Got a link? I'd like to get something for my bike....I'm gettin' old and naps are GOOD.....

Last edited by Hellbilly562; 12-15-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2016 | 10:57 AM
martin10
Road Warrior

Have had my Slim for 3 years and have never regretted buying it. I am also an older rider who has bad shoulders. I find the lower bars on the Slim to be much more comfortable than the higher bars on my wifes Fatboy. Like others have said you have to lose the stock seat. It sucks. At my age I am not an aggressive rider so the occasional floor board scrape is not a big deal to me. Most of my mod money has been spent on performance. I am running SE air cleaner, Rush mufflers, Power Vision tuner and a 68 tooth rear pulley. The mods individually probably dont make much difference but combined they make a definite difference in acceleration. I also have a mustang tripper seat, T-Bag tail bag, and upgraded tail and head lights. The only thing I wish were different is I would prefer mag wheels instead of the laced. The laced wheels look fantastic but I have already had a flat due to a tube.

Old 12-15-2016 | 11:00 AM
Bamjoop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hellbilly562
Awesome...thanks!!!!! I thought it looked stock (the stitching).....I've looked everywhere and couldn't find anything similar to the stock stitching. My daughter complains now that the pad is too hard.....she's the boss. Guess I'll have to pull it off and replace the padding with something slimmer and softer.....what kind of strap are you using for that blanket on the front? Got a link? I'd like to get something for my bike....I'm gettin' old and naps are GOOD.....
I looked all over the internet for the strap for the blanket, and even looked into somebody locally making me a custom leather one, but most of them are ridiculously priced. I just went to the boys section of walmart and bought two of these belts for $5.99 each. Now have of my club runs a similar setup. Simple, cheap and easy.

Old 12-15-2016 | 12:37 PM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member

I looked all over the internet for the strap for the blanket, and even looked into somebody locally making me a custom leather one, but most of them are ridiculously priced. I just went to the boys section of walmart and bought two of these belts for $5.99 each. Now have of my club runs a similar setup. Simple, cheap and easy.

LOL...right on.....BTW...St. George is beautiful country.....been out that way a few times on the way up to my sisters in Salt Lake.....been telling the wife we need to load up the bikes in the RV and head out to that area for a couple weeks.....

Old 12-16-2016 | 08:54 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

It is just the stock pillion. The PO had added a ton of extra foam so it looked like a loaf of bread. All I did was pull the cover and shave it as thin as I could and recovered with the factory cover.

Awesome PIC man! What bag is that? Looks sweet!

LOVE MY SLIM!

Old 12-16-2016 | 10:37 AM
Bamjoop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by splattttttt
Awesome PIC man! What bag is that? Looks sweet!

LOVE MY SLIM!
Thank you. I laid in the dirt waiting for 30 minutes for the sun to hit just right to get that pic. It is just the factory bag. I bought it used of ebay. It is kind of a love hate deal with that bag. I love the overall appearance and size because it fits the bike so well, but the bag itself is just not on par with some of the similarly priced offerings out there in my opinion.

Old 12-16-2016 | 10:59 AM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member

Thank you. I laid in the dirt waiting for 30 minutes for the sun to hit just right to get that pic. It is just the factory bag. I bought it used of ebay. It is kind of a love hate deal with that bag. I love the overall appearance and size because it fits the bike so well, but the bag itself is just not on par with some of the similarly priced offerings out there in my opinion.
Yeah no kidding...it's like $200.00 new.....I didn't pay for mine...they threw it in as well as some axle nut covers...

Quick Reply: Softail Slim Owners - Happy or Disappointed???