Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting apes -- what do I REALLY need to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:53 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fitting apes -- what do I REALLY need to replace?

Tricky question for you: When changing handlebars, HD say you need to replace your "one piece" brake cable with a modular cable, where there is a single "lower" part that goes from your triple tree to your wheels, and then an "upper" part that depends on the size of the bars. However, I have ABS, and so my brake line is in three different parts anyway; one from grips to ABS unit, one from ABS to triple tree and a third section from the triple tree to the wheels. So do I really need to replace the "lower" part (whichever that might be) with the very expensive "lower brake line", or can I keep some of my existing brake line hardware? (My stock lower brake line part number is 42552-11, and the installation guide says I need to replace it with 38135-11 or 38132-11, depending on colour choice.)

The reason I ask is that on top of a set of bars, I'll need a clutch cable (~£126), throttle/idle cables (£169) and then brake lines (>£300!) as well as the wiring extensions (around £45). If some of this extra expense is genuinely unnecessary, then that would make me happy

Thanks in advance

Old 12-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Berick
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

No, you don't need to replace all three pieces to your ABS. You can just replace the top portion that goes to your brake reservoir on the bars. However, if you are like me and changed the color of your brake lines to a stainless finish or a Black Pearl finish etc... it will bug the hell out of you every time you wash your bike when you see the 2 sections of lines do not match and you'll end up changing them. I see you're in the UK so I'm not sure what you guys have for aftermarket across the pond. Myself, I went through Magnum Shielding. If you want the perfect length of lines/cables, take your time. Mock up your bars and measure to see how much longer the cables need to be over stock and order them as such. Don't listen to 50 dudes with different bike/bar combos to figure it out for you. Trust me, it may take longer but the payoff is a perfect fit that works with your particular setup.