Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mpg with powercommanderlll

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:09 PM
hammer99
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mpg with powercommanderlll

Hi I have a 06 heritage stock ecm stage l air cleaner vance&hines longshots and pclll trying despertly to fine a download toget over 40mpg if there is any body that can help me find the right or has the right download and would share it with me it would be great I have tried at least 5 diff downloads and all under 40mpg thanks Hammer99 Ps Ive tried 212 169 180 mod fuel moto download that I got with it I tried some guy Dyno download no luck

Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Default RE: mpg with powercommanderlll

The only way that I got mine back to a reasonable mileage performance was to have the bike dyno'd.

Stock maps are going to err on the side of safety and the mix will be rich. Plus they don't want to hear continual complaints about heat, popping, etc.

You can go into the map that you liked the best and lower the fuel input for cruising rpm's with the software that you get with the PCIII. Personally, I didnt' like the performance. I got a dyno...

If I never change the bike again, I will be ahead of the game. If I put the heads and cams on my bike that I want, however, then I should have bought a ThunderMax with Autotune.

C#

Old 05-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: hammer99

Hi I have a 06 heritage stock ecm stage l air cleaner vance&hines longshots and pclll trying despertly to fine a download toget over 40mpg if there is any body that can help me find the right or has the right download and would share it with me it would be great I have tried at least 5 diff downloads and all under 40mpg thanks Hammer99 Ps Ive tried 212 169 180 mod fuel moto download that I got with it I tried some guy Dyno download no luck
I average around 41 mpg with my PC IIImap. I also have the idle fuel ratio up'd by 4% . A big factor in fuel economy is your right wrist..... if you like hearing your own pipes, your gonna' drink the gas....

Old 05-30-2007, 09:52 AM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get 35 city 42 highway in 6th with a dyno tune. Like Clam said though I think my right wrist has alot to do with my city MPG.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:17 PM
KY23
Tourer

Ok...here is how you get good gas mileage with your powercommander but still have the performance when you need it.

Open the map that your bike runs best with. Select the area from 5% throttle to 40% throttle and from 2,000 RPM to 4,000 RPM. After you have all this selected press the zero. This will return your map back to stock in this range. This will give you the fuel economy you need but give you the performance you want.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:14 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got map M805-149. Stage 1 ECU, V&H Big radius & AN big sucker Air cleaner, The last 3 fill ups I have got 44, 45, & 44 MPG. I have a 20 mile one way commute to work and run between 50-70 mph. I bought It basically just to get rid of the popping (which it has), but it does run better, and I don't use the accelerator pump option.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:13 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: KY23

Ok...here is how you get good gas mileage with your powercommander but still have the performance when you need it.

Open the map that your bike runs best with. Select the area from 5% throttle to 40% throttle and from 2,000 RPM to 4,000 RPM. After you have all this selected press the zero. This will return your map back to stock in this range. This will give you the fuel economy you need but give you the performance you want.
Your confusing me. Are you saying set all of the above range of fuel ratios to "0"? All you are doing is bringing a modded bike that needs extra fuel, back to factory programedstock which is too lean (at least if you have the Stage 1 air filter kit). 2000-4000 rpm's is generally where 90% of your power is used.....

Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
KY23
Tourer

That is exactly what you are doing. In your normal driving range (5% - 40% throttle and 2,000 - 4,000 RPM) your back to your stock map. You very well be running a little lean but that is what your going to have to do to have that 45+ Mpg. Lets say for example you are at 10% throttle and running 2,500 RPM your moving at a pretty good speed anyway so cooling would not be an issue. Your not going to be able to run rich and keep good gas mileage.

At idle sitting in traffic or while moving slow you can still set your bike to run alittle rich to stay cool. When you need performance you are always going to be greater than 40% throttle so as soon as you go over that throttle position you are again using the performance section of your map. You also don't have to go totally back to stock. Once you have this section of your map highlighted you can bring your map fields up or down with your pageup or page-down keys. This moves your numbers in a percentage so you can go down without going all the way back to stock.

These techniques are what DynoJet teaches in their tuning classes which I have attended. I've also performed the above on multiple systems including my own with great results. I'm actually getting around 50 MPG on the highway and around 42 - 45 in the city with the above setup. Like others have said your throttle hand matters too since if you go above that 40% throttle or the 4,000 RPM the performance section of your map kicks in. Don't blip your throttle at lights and when you want to conserve gas stay in these limits.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:56 PM
KY23
Tourer

hammer99, what kind of gas milage have you been getting with the maps I sent you?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:08 PM
hammer99
Stage II

over 46 mpg Hammer99 the mapps rock

Quick Reply: mpg with powercommanderlll