Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Cleaner 2016 S 110

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016 | 07:25 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
A K&N filter element replacement for the Ventilator on your bike sure won't hurt anything. Will it make any difference? Maybe. Maybe not. It will be the only one that you'll ever have to buy for the life of the bike.
First air cleaner change i switched to a K and N direct replacement, so i can check it, clean it and put it back on without any future purchases etc.

Did the same with my oil filter, took it with me from my last bike.

Old 12-05-2016 | 07:51 PM
rquest
Road Master

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
It will be the only one that you'll ever have to buy for the life of the bike.
I'm not so sure of that, I had one on an old 750 Honda and the last time my son and I went to clean it, it simply disintegrated! I can only imagine what would have happened if the carb would have started sucking that up. (It was only about 20 yrs old, haha)

Old 12-05-2016 | 11:59 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior

Good to know, well if i get 10 years out of it, i'll be 80 and we'll let somebody else replace it.

Old 12-06-2016 | 06:55 AM
Fatboy16S
|
Cruiser

I'm stopping in Saturday to look at some other stuff and I think I will just add a K&N filter to the bike anyway. I like the idea of having an extra to swap out. Thank you everyone for all the info! I'm a mechanical engineer, so I overthink and over analyze everything. I also keep things for a very long time, so I will probably have this bike until I die. When I bought it, I said I would leave it stock. So much for that!

Old 12-06-2016 | 07:39 AM
martin10
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fatboy16S
I'm stopping in Saturday to look at some other stuff and I think I will just add a K&N filter to the bike anyway. I like the idea of having an extra to swap out. Thank you everyone for all the info! I'm a mechanical engineer, so I overthink and over analyze everything. I also keep things for a very long time, so I will probably have this bike until I die. When I bought it, I said I would leave it stock. So much for that!
lp

Since you are a mechanical engineer and are analytical let me give you something else to consider. The HD filter you have is a high flow synthetic media filter. You are not going to gain anything by going with a K&N. What you will do is allow more dirt into the engine. There are plenty of test results and data available that will confirm that K&N filters do not filter well. Hold one up to a light and look at it with a magnifying glass. You will find pin holes in the media somewhere. K&N maintains that those holes are ok since the oil will stop any debris. But if you also notice, deep inside the pleats the media is white. Which means the dyed oil is not there. It is almost impossible to get the oil into the bottom of the pleats. If you are OK with a filter that filters less then go for it. But don't expect any performance gains. The filter you have will supply more air than the engine requires.

Old 12-06-2016 | 09:11 AM
Fatboy16S
|
Cruiser

martin10, I have always wondered about that regarding the K&N filters (I have had a few classic cars and it was the first thing we did). If it has a higher flow capacity without increasing the surface area, it must allow larger microns or particulate to pass through? Thanks for the input!

Old 12-06-2016 | 10:46 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by martin10
lp

Since you are a mechanical engineer and are analytical let me give you something else to consider. The HD filter you have is a high flow synthetic media filter. You are not going to gain anything by going with a K&N. What you will do is allow more dirt into the engine. There are plenty of test results and data available that will confirm that K&N filters do not filter well. Hold one up to a light and look at it with a magnifying glass. You will find pin holes in the media somewhere. K&N maintains that those holes are ok since the oil will stop any debris. But if you also notice, deep inside the pleats the media is white. Which means the dyed oil is not there. It is almost impossible to get the oil into the bottom of the pleats. If you are OK with a filter that filters less then go for it. But don't expect any performance gains. The filter you have will supply more air than the engine requires.